The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 99-06 GMT800 Chevy and GMC Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-29-2009, 07:51 PM   #1
Mister laugh

High Flow Cats

Well i think i need some new cats on the truck i bought about a month ago. Looking into it it turns out a set of cats for the vortecs runs about a grand. Not wanting to spend that much on something stock i decided to look at high flow, magnaflow sells a system for about 1600. Definitely not wanting to spend that much i discovered some magnaflow high flow universal fits on ebay for roughly 100 each shipped, that sounds a bit better. Now my question is what do i need to know before welding a new set in? I have welded muffler pipe before so i know its a pain in the ass. Or am i just better off gutting the cats i have if i don't have emissions here?

Thanks

Matthew
Mister laugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 08:37 PM   #2
cdowns

Re: High Flow Cats

my cats are envirmently friendly
Attached Images

71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 10:06 PM   #3
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

The dual cat setup on the Vortecs are pretty efficient. I am assuming you are talking about your 2000 with the 4.8? How many miles on yours?

We swapped out a guys at work for some from the Vette, but I think we got more out of the Catback system, than we did out of the cat swap.

Oh when we swapped out the cats, the computer needed also needed reprogrammed to take advantage of the changes.

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 10:36 PM   #4
Mister laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palf70Step View Post
The dual cat setup on the Vortecs are pretty efficient. I am assuming you are talking about your 2000 with the 4.8? How many miles on yours?

We swapped out a guys at work for some from the Vette, but I think we got more out of the Catback system, than we did out of the cat swap.

Oh when we swapped out the cats, the computer needed also needed reprogrammed to take advantage of the changes.

I don't doubt there efficiency, but mine are plugged, and new ones are 1000, where as i can pick up a set of magnaflows for 200ish and weld them in, it seems alot more economical to me.
Mister laugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 09:02 PM   #5
pimpeterbilt

You would get the same effect with the universal cats as you would with the OEM replacements.

Also if you take them out, the computer will have to be programmed with the rear o2 sensors turned off. CEL will be on if not.
01 Z71 ECSB|5.3ltr|4:10s|Wheatley 89 Tune|Pacesetter Shorty Headers|No Cats, Flowtech Cutouts, Spintech, & 4x22in. S.S. Tips|K&N Filter|16x8 MB Wheels|3in. Blocks & Cranked TBs|Truxport Cover|Fully Painted Interior|JVC & JL Audio Stereo|5% Tint|Cobra CB
Deer Slayer
73 Chevy RCLB|K10|4x4|350ci|4spd|Homemade Bumper/Grille Guard|Rear Light Bar w/ Tractor Lights|Cobra CB w/ Whips|
pimpeterbilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 06:59 AM   #6
special-K
Special Order

I put dual exhaust on my`90 Blazer using Thrush hi-flow catalytic convertors.They were still good at least 10 years later when I sold the Blazer.They were $100 each.The vehicle ran way better with the duals through those convertors.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote