The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 99-06 GMT800 Chevy and GMC Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-30-2009, 01:13 PM   #1
Boater Jake

350 Chevy in a boat with excessive crankcase psi

Hello,
I am new here and I am looking for some expert advice. I have two Chevy 350 engines that had been rebuilt three years ago. One runs just fine. The other started leaking oil out of ever spot it could. (Excessive pressure in the crankcase)
Here is a little history; I replaced both engines three years ago when I purchased a saltwater boat as I am running it in the Great Lakes. One of the two would foul the plugs at low RPM (While trolling for salmon). I thought this could have been due in part to the rings not been seated during the first year. Last year it ran pretty well all season until the trip to dock the boat for the winter. I ran about thirty miles at about 3000 RPM and noticed what appeared to be a cup of oil in the bottom of the boat. I cleaned up the oil and placed white towels under the engine to see where the leak was coming from. I did not notice any at idle. I then ran the engine/boat at 3000 RPM and had oil from both ends of the engine. Some from what looked like pushed out gaskets on each end of the oil pan. With some more inspections I found that the breather hoses that run from each rocker arm cover to the air cleaner/spark arrester where also full of oil. There was some oil on the dipstick tube as well.
Now that spring is on it’s way, finally!, I am starting to investigate deeper. I did a compression test (dry) and found that I have 150 PSI on all but one cylinder. The one is 135 PSI. There is no PCV system on either of these engines. The have holly 650 carbs and a total of 100 hours of running. My next step is going to be to do a leak down test on each cylinder.
My questions are: Does anyone have any experience with a 350 engine with no PCV system? Am I heading down the correct path? And what kind of pressure should I have on a dry compression test?
Thank you in advance for any help.

Boater Jake.
Boater Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 07:46 PM   #2
truckdude239

Re: 350 Chevy in a boat with excessive crankcase psi

install a pvc system and your problem will be solved. that compression seems alright to mee

1971 Chevy c-10 under going a 4.8l LSx swap

Build Thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=421305

2007 Honda Accord my daily 145kmiles
2002 Honda Accord 4 door With 330k(sisters car)
2005 toyota Avalon 228k( brothers car)
2002 Sububran 5.3 245k
2000 Tahoe 5.3l 378

General manager for Marco's Carwash & lube

Last edited by truckdude239; 03-30-2009 at 07:47 PM.
truckdude239 is offline   Reply With Quote