The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-17-2021, 08:40 AM   #1
dug224

Today's value?? ...1956 Chevy SWB Step Small Back Window

The fun stuff keeps finding its way to me. Since I am out of touch on current values, request input on what would be a fair price to offer the owner for his 1956 SWB Stepside Small Window. Was helping a friend move some equipment to his parking area and noticed this truck on an adjacent property. Don't need the project but decided I would attempt to buy mainly because it is a southern California truck that is now in the south and has been sitting outside in a field for the last couple of years. Rusting at all the usual spots including door bottom fenders at the step sides. It appears to be bone stock with exception of the engine and trans. Engine is said to be a 289 out of an old Corvette. He says it runs and drives. I only managed to take the one photograph. He said it spent its life on a Navy base so I suspect the overall use of the truck has been low. Thx. dug
Attached Images

dug224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 09:15 AM   #2
youngrodder

Re: Today's value?? ...1956 Chevy SWB Step Small Back Window

Hard to say accurately without more info. How much of the drivetrain and chassis have been updated? Is the braking system drum or disc? The body looks pretty free of rust. How doe the floors look. Any interior to speak of?

I'm only be taking a wild guess without more info, but I could see between $8,500 - $12,000 (which still might be low). Others will probably say I'm crazy but these good O'l honest trucks are not as plentiful these days. More money spent on the front end for a good truck is money saved on the bad end doing major rust and metal repair.

Marc

1948 Chevy Truck - Finished SOLD!!

1953 Chevy Suburban "Family Truckster" Completed: Spring of 2021
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=605484

1994 4x4 Blazer - "Field Find"
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...ferrerid=30857
youngrodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 09:27 AM   #3
dug224

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngrodder View Post
Hard to say accurately without more info. How much of the drivetrain and chassis have been updated? Is the braking system drum or disc? The body looks pretty free of rust. How doe the floors look. Any interior to speak of?

I'm only be taking a wild guess without more info, but I could see between $8,500 - $12,000 (which still might be low). Others will probably say I'm crazy but these good O'l honest trucks are not as plentiful these days. More money spent on the front end for a good truck is money saved on the bad end doing major rust and metal repair.

Marc
Marc...thanks. I'll get a closer look next time I'm over there. I think the brakes are original and I'd guess the only things updated are the engine and transmission and, by updated, I mean an old V-8 and old transmission are in the place of the original in-line 6 & trans. As good as it looks, it is still a project and the older I get, the more I subscribe to your "...More money spent on the front end for a good truck is money saved on the bad end doing major rust and metal repair....". Enjoyed (and still enjoying) my never ending 1959 Big Window on a late model Trailblazer frame but don't want to take on that level of a project...at least for now. dug
Old 11-17-2021, 02:23 PM   #4
Dan in Pasadena

By the way, a 289 was a Ford small block. 283 was the Chevrolet of equivalent size.

PS: I agree on the $8 to 12,000 price range. Actually, in SoCal you'd never find one in that shape for under $10,000.

Dan's '55 Big Window "Build" - Well, Kinda!
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 03:46 PM   #5
dug224

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena View Post
By the way, a 289 was a Ford small block. 283 was the Chevrolet of equivalent size.

PS: I agree on the $8 to 12,000 price range. Actually, in SoCal you'd never find one in that shape for under $10,000.
Dan: Thanks for the correction and input on value. I'll see if I can sneak up on this one and get it out of the weather and into my nearly full again air conditioned garage. dug