The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > Diesel Conversions

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-05-2009, 02:16 AM   #1
t korinek
Truckin' Krazy

Re: The Story Of A Suburban (Lots Of Pics)

Man thats a lot of good work you've done, first time checking your build out. Those wheels look a lot better than when they left my yard!
Tom
Dakota Digital
Trim parts Carpets
Truck World seat covers
& Many others
Chevy Parts locator in Mesa AZ!
t korinek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 11:59 AM   #2
jbclassix
Junk Yartist

Sounds like you got a bulletproof transmission!
jbclassix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 11:40 PM   #3
mosesburb
I had a V-8

Quote:
Originally Posted by t korinek View Post
Man thats a lot of good work you've done, first time checking your build out. Those wheels look a lot better than when they left my yard!
Tom
Thanks!! Yeah, there was a bit of work involved in getting them looking decent. Man, I had the theme from Sanford and Son playing on the drive home from your place with that last wierd load.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbclassix View Post
Sounds like you got a bulletproof transmission!
I sure hope it is.
Old 08-11-2009, 11:46 PM   #4
mosesburb
I had a V-8

I got it emission tested and got plates on it last week. Passed the test easily. I also got the windshield replaced (I have gotten pulled over for that before). So, other than wipers, this thing is legal.

After I got the glass done, I had to go to the parts house to get something and there is a hundred and one ways to get there from where I was to where I needed to be, so I chose the freeway. 6500lbs of untested iron at speed--what's the worst that could happen?? It drove nicer at 60-65 than it does at 40 around town. It drives real nice with the "old man" tires on it. It gets from 55-75 quite quickly, hehehe. When I first drove it it was pretty squirrely, but it got much better after I re-centered the steering box and clicked the front shocks up a notch.

It runs pretty good. It has decent power, but I need to turn at least one screw on the injection pump. Low boost fueling is lacking. There is a small amount, but not so much to make it a barrel of monkey to drive. It is a simple mod, but right now I am concentrating on a few other things, so it will come in time.

I aam getting close on some creature comfort type things, so hopefully I can post up some progress real soon.

Last edited by mosesburb; 08-11-2009 at 11:47 PM.
mosesburb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 02:36 AM   #5
mosesburb
I had a V-8

I actually have a bunch of pics to post, but my photobucket is at its limit for the month, so I have to wait for about a week for it to reset to start with the pics again. I have got the interior mostly done. The wipers are on it. There are a few little things that I need to do to it, but I have gotten most of the big stuff done.

I held off starting to drive it because I knew once I started, that would be the end of working on it for awhile. I was right. All I do is drive this thing now. I have somewhere around seven or eight hundred miles on it. I drove it to work everyday for about 2-1/2 weeks. The A/C works good at 110* and it works great below 105*. If it is under 100* it will freeze you out even without the rear a/c on.

The interior noise level is acceptable. I was worried about droan, but it is not too bad at all. The ONLY squeak/rattle is coming from the rear tail gate and hatch. I have new weatherstrip, but I am going to save that for the replacement gate and hatch that I have for it. I actually put some generic weatherstrip on the two parts and that quieted it right down.

I filled it with fuel and weighed it. Anybody want to take a guess at its weight and mileage??