The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-13-2005, 09:20 PM   #1
yarb11

camaro or g body sub on 1949 chevy

I have heard most of my life of camaro and g body sub frames under front of post war chevys. Has anyone heard or did this to a truck?
yarb11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 03:03 PM   #2
MARTINSR

Re: camaro or g body sub on 1949 chevy

I did it and I don't recommend it. The Camaro sub is too wide, by about 3 inches. They make narrower A arms but they cost an arm and a leg. You have to modify the inner fenders, bumper mounts, it is a pain!

You want my advice, buy a good Mustang two kit and install it. Yes it costs more than a bone yard sub but in the long run it is MUCH, MUCH better.

Brian

"Fan of most anything that moves human beings"
MARTINSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 07:35 PM   #3
Don Meyer

I have done camaro,G-body & Must II's. My choice is the g body ,which has a 58" track. This is the same as the AD trk & 3" narrower than a Camaro.

The G body w/the HD springs handle very well,ride nice & are a joy to drive.I fill they are also stronger. The lower A-arm pivot points are farther apart giving it greater strength. The only disadvantage is it is much harder to install.........good luck. Don

Ps-I agree w/MartinSr on the Camaro clip.

Last edited by Don Meyer; 10-18-2005 at 07:39 PM.
Don Meyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 08:12 PM   #4
MARTINSR

You are right there Don, I had a G body (Buick Regal, Olds Cutless, Pont Lemans, Chevy MonteCarlo-1978 to 86?) frame to put in my truck after I made the mistake of using the camaro. It did look like it would match the frame width better as well.

I have a "Basics" to do that frame clip somewhere.

Brian

"Fan of most anything that moves human beings"
MARTINSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 10:15 AM   #5
Phat

g-body does not match up very well.Half a frame and than guys weld a plate across....you had better have a surface plate because there is so much welding with cover up plates that not one i have seen is straight. Heat pulls the clip around like a SOB.There is a guy on RRT that docemented it and if know anything about welding you would not do it that way for sure. The ones i have seen have all the same problems as the camaro and more except the the width. I would stay with stang II style also. The argument about a stang II not being strong enough is only if your using a stock stang II out of a car. The good kits have nothing mustang II in them and are very strong.Stay away from the over weight guy and garys and you will do fine.
Besides time is money....8 hour day and the stang II in done. Stock bumper never removed rad in stock location and your truck is not cut in half and patched in the middle. Resale is also better. You never know whats behind those patch plates....most are ground off real pretty along with most of the welds. We knocked one off last week in about 20 min. Half the welds were so thin we pryed the plates off with a screw driver. The bondoed ones are even worse!!! Just my opinion doing lots of them. At one time we did not have a choice and the clips we were using had 8000-24,000 miles on them not 80,000 to 200,000 miles.
Phat is offline   Reply With Quote