The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-29-2015, 11:21 AM   #51
LS Blazer

Re: 5 speed LS 72 Blazer build

It has been a long time since I posted! Much has happened with the Blazer, but not much that is picture worthy-although I'll probably post some pics anyway!
since my last post, we have installed the steering system, mated it to the power steering pump from the motor, started mounting the brake booster and master cylinder, as well as the clutch master cylinder, purchased the seats I'll be using(front row out of a 2001 dodge ram. back seats-3rd row out of a Tahoe), took the heads off and had them machined, solved the cross member issue by using the one that came with my 208 T-case, installed a PSI engine harness(awesome, by the way) ordered a body harness from Painless, and cut/remounted the perches on the rear end in order to use a CV drive shaft because the operating angle at the U-joints was way too steep to do it any other way.
Brakes and A/C system are hopefully going in this weekend, as well as lining the entire tub with heat/sound barrier. If I get all of that done and still have some energy left, I'll start fabbing the brackets to make my seats work.
Pictures to follow!

Last edited by LS Blazer; 04-29-2015 at 11:26 AM.
LS Blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 08:38 PM   #52
Bladeboy1998

Subbed! I'm down for more pics! Love the build too!
Bladeboy1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 10:57 PM   #53
LS Blazer

As I get closer to having this truck on the road, it gets hotter and hotter outside. I have previously pushed the thought of how to do the A/C system to "when it is warmer". It looks like "warmer" is here and not going anywhere. Due to the compressor off of my 5.3 not cooperating with the Dirty Dingo cross member, I am forced to look at other options for making the a/c work. Dirty Dingo has a relocation mounting bracket for use with a Sanden compressor. Does anyone have any experience with this set up? Or any other suggestions, for that matter?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-04-2015, 02:12 PM   #54
LS Blazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Blazer View Post
As I get closer to having this truck on the road, it gets hotter and hotter outside. I have previously pushed the thought of how to do the A/C system to "when it is warmer". It looks like "warmer" is here and not going anywhere. Due to the compressor off of my 5.3 not cooperating with the Dirty Dingo cross member, I am forced to look at other options for making the a/c work. Dirty Dingo has a relocation mounting bracket for use with a Sanden compressor. Does anyone have any experience with this set up? Or any other suggestions, for that matter?
Posted via Mobile Device
I came across a company called LS Simple (lssimple.net) that makes a kit that includes everything needed for a top mount compressor. Compressor, bracket, tensioner, belt and all hardware are included for $400 with shipping. seems lke their customer service is good, too; but I have been wrong before. Does anybody have any experience with them?
Old 05-04-2015, 03:20 PM   #55
Custom 68

Hello and welcome. I am also in the Springfield area it looks like you have a great project going on.
Look these guys up also they are located in Springfield. I have seen their booth at street machine nationals at the fairgrounds. http://www.kwikperf.com/index.html
They have quite a bit of stuff. I have talked to them they were nice and informative but have not purchased from them.
David
"A good friend will bail you out of jail...but a true friend will be sitting next to you saying "that was frekin awesome".
"If it doesn't fit force it...If it breaks then it needed to be replaced anyway!"
Custom 68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 03:45 PM   #56
LS Blazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Custom 68 View Post
Hello and welcome. I am also in the Springfield area it looks like you have a great project going on.
Look these guys up also they are located in Springfield. I have seen their booth at street machine nationals at the fairgrounds. http://www.kwikperf.com/index.html
They have quite a bit of stuff. I have talked to them they were nice and informative but have not purchased from them.
David
Thanks for the tip, Dave. I'll check them out. I like to do business locally, if I can.

Good to meet a fellow Springfieldian on the web!
Old 05-04-2015, 11:01 PM   #57
tjsblazer

Quote:
since my last post, we have installed the steering system, mated it to the power steering pump from the motor, started mounting the brake booster and master cylinder, as well as the clutch master cylinder
Curious. What did you use for a clutch master cylinder, how did you mount it and what did you use for linkage to the pedal. Any pics? thanks for any info.

'72 Blazer K5

"Camshaft opinions are like belly buttons; everyone has one and no two are alike"

My Blazer Build:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=626752

My Engine Build:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=637336
tjsblazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 11:35 PM   #58
LS Blazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsblazer View Post
Curious. What did you use for a clutch master cylinder, how did you mount it and what did you use for linkage to the pedal. Any pics? thanks for any info.
The Blazer is in a shop right now having the pinion angle set properly, I'll post a few pics when I get it back. The NV4500 is a hydraulic clutched system, so it has the internal slave cylinder that was stock to the trans.
For the master cylinder, I bought one that I think is stock to an early 90s 1 ton chevy. It fits very closely between the brake booster and firewall. If I was to do it again, Wilwood makes a master cylinder with remote reservoir that I would probably use.

I still have to modify the push rod in order to get proper pedal travel out of it. I will probably tap threads onto it to make it adjustable like a tie rod end. I drilled a hole in the pedal bar where it meets the push rod. That will allow me to just put a bolt through it and the pedal end or the push rod if i don't have a better idea.

The local parts store hooked me up with a clutch hose that had the ends I needed. I cut them off of the hose and had a hydraulic shop put a braided hydraulic hose between the 2 ends. We actually had to keep a couple of inches of the old hose because the shop said there wasn't another way to connect the braided hose to the end that mates to the slave.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by LS Blazer; 05-04-2015 at 11:45 PM.
Old 05-05-2015, 01:45 AM   #59
tjsblazer

Quote:
The Blazer is in a shop right now having the pinion angle set properly, I'll post a few pics when I get it back. The NV4500 is a hydraulic clutched system, so it has the internal slave cylinder that was stock to the trans.
For the master cylinder, I bought one that I think is stock to an early 90s 1 ton chevy. It fits very closely between the brake booster and firewall. If I was to do it again, Wilwood makes a master cylinder with remote reservoir that I would probably use.

I still have to modify the push rod in order to get proper pedal travel out of it. I will probably tap threads onto it to make it adjustable like a tie rod end. I drilled a hole in the pedal bar where it meets the push rod. That will allow me to just put a bolt through it and the pedal end or the push rod if i don't have a better idea.

The local parts store hooked me up with a clutch hose that had the ends I needed. I cut them off of the hose and had a hydraulic shop put a braided hydraulic hose between the 2 ends. We actually had to keep a couple of inches of the old hose because the shop said there wasn't another way to connect the braided hose to the end that mates to the slave.
Posted via Mobile Device
I am going to be running a 99 NV4500 on a 72 Blazer so it too has the internal slave set up. I am interested in your Master cylinder mounting and pedal linkage as I am in the same boat as you. I was planning on using a Girling style Wilwood Master but may go with remote reservoir depending on space. I am running a Hydratech brake master so I do have a little more room than with a stock vacuum booster.

'72 Blazer K5

"Camshaft opinions are like belly buttons; everyone has one and no two are alike"

My Blazer Build:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=626752

My Engine Build:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=637336
tjsblazer is offline   Reply With Quote