The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-24-2017, 05:20 AM   #1
NomadUK

Engine info needed for UK legislation

Hi fellas. I'm not a truck owner but I do have a truck engine in my 56 Nomad over here in England and I'd really like your help. The UK government are introducing legislation whereby I'll need to prove the power of my engine, It's a 350 with a 4 barrel and from the engine number K1109TDD and block casting number I've found out that it is a truck engine made either in Canada or Kansas (which?) on Nov 9th 1972. When searching the suffix code TDD all lists I've seen simply state '350' with no other info. A list in Classic Chevy World back in 2001 claimed TDD was a 1972 truck 350 with a manual transmission but where that info came from I don't know,

I found a picture on this forum of what looks like a page out of a brochure or manual. I'll try and find it again and post it up. It's dated January 28 1972 and page number 22 in the Engine & Clutch section. It's titled HIGH TORQUE 350 V8 and lists the engine's: Applications (GE20-30, PE30, etc), Basic Specs (engine type, piston displacement, etc) and Test Procedures (to obtain the power/torque curves shown below it. And from that it claims the engine shown is 175 hp SAE Net and 290 lb-ft SAE Net. Was this the only 350 4-barrel truck engine available in 1972? And whether it was or wasn't I'd like to find out the title of the manual that the page is out of. 175hp has been mentioned in other posts but where does that info come from and how can I tie it to my TDD engine?

Can anyone help me in determining the specs of my engine but especially finding verifiable sources of info (brochures, shop manuals, etc.) can use as evidence if needed.

Thanks for reading this and hope to 'speak' with you soon.

Ian
NomadUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 05:41 AM   #2
NomadUK

Re: Engine info needed for UK legislation

The page from the manual I mentioned above is in this thread:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=571357
Old 09-24-2017, 06:07 AM   #3
WorkinLonghorn

That publication was called "Truck Data Book". The title page says "CHEVROLET.........TRUCKS" followed by the year.
GM used to send these out to anyone requesting, but I heard that this is no longer the case. I got mine for 1969 and I'm sure there are loads guys here with the 1972 version. Maybe someone can send you a copy of the page you need. -BA
'69 GMC C2500 Custom Camper, 8 1/2' bed, New GM 350, NP 435 Close Ratio 4spd. Trans., 3.73 Dana-60 open.Camper and Trailer wiring, PS, PB, AC, tach , three gas tanks, 2nd owner, Work-Truck supreme. Best $300 I ever spent.
WorkinLonghorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 07:04 AM   #4
cadillac_al

All those 70's 350's were 185 hp. The 'Vettes were a little more.
77 Chevy K10
cadillac_al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 09:19 AM   #5
geezer#99

It seems TDD is either a 72 or 80 motor. You'll need to dig deeper to find out which year.
This link shows your code.
http://www.nastyz28.com/gm-chevy-cod...s-suffix-7.php

Lmc truck shows your code so it indeed is a truck motor.
http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/cb/full.aspx?Page=10

You'll need to check the date code on the block. Look here for a few pics of where to look.
http://www.mortec.com/location.htm
geezer#99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 10:21 AM   #6
NomadUK

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorkinLonghorn View Post
That publication was called "Truck Data Book". The title page says "CHEVROLET.........TRUCKS" followed by the year.
GM used to send these out to anyone requesting, but I heard that this is no longer the case. I got mine for 1969 and I'm sure there are loads guys here with the 1972 version. Maybe someone can send you a copy of the page you need. -BA
Quote:
Originally Posted by geezer#99 View Post
It seems TDD is either a 72 or 80 motor. You'll need to dig deeper to find out which year.
This link shows your code.
http://www.nastyz28.com/gm-chevy-cod...s-suffix-7.php

Lmc truck shows your code so it indeed is a truck motor.
http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/cb/full.aspx?Page=10

You'll need to check the date code on the block. Look here for a few pics of where to look.
http://www.mortec.com/location.htm
Thanks for your replies.

WiL, Maybe I can find a pdf or something on the internet. Are there some words between CHEVROLET and TRUCKS or is this like a look-up reference as in 'Truck Data Book', Section 'Chevrolet', sub-section 'Trucks', sub-sub-section '1972'?

Geezer, That lmctruck link is handy. And, btw, the engine is definitely 1972.

To anyone, Does anyone have a copy of the 1972 truck info to be found in the Truck Data Book?
Old 09-24-2017, 05:35 PM   #7
cg285

retard the timing, put it on a dyno and show the print out.
cg285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 10:45 PM   #8
WorkinLonghorn

Quote:
Are there some words between CHEVROLET and TRUCKS or is this like a look-up reference as in 'Truck Data Book', Section 'Chevrolet', sub-section 'Trucks', sub-sub-section '1972'?
I don't really know. What they sent me Just said "CHEVROLET" across the top and in the middle of the page inset into a Chevy bowtie "Trucks". Some of the following pages say "Truck Data Book" at the bottom in small print. I am sure that if you search these forums you will see all of this.
'69 GMC C2500 Custom Camper, 8 1/2' bed, New GM 350, NP 435 Close Ratio 4spd. Trans., 3.73 Dana-60 open.Camper and Trailer wiring, PS, PB, AC, tach , three gas tanks, 2nd owner, Work-Truck supreme. Best $300 I ever spent.
WorkinLonghorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 03:13 AM   #9
NomadUK

Ok. Thanks WiL.
Old 09-25-2017, 03:15 AM   #10
NomadUK

Quote:
Originally Posted by cg285 View Post
retard the timing, put it on a dyno and show the print out.
It may come to that, CG.
Old 09-25-2017, 07:53 AM   #11
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.

Nomad, is this for taxing purposes? If so, I wonder who thinks up these laws?

I guess they figure the higher the horsepower the more energy is consumed but it's not always the case. Some of these modern engines can be super efficient and have more horsepower per cubic inch or cc displacement than older larger motors.
I just want a vehicle that I can work on, that won't talk to me, leave error msgs or keep track of how I drive...
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 08:13 AM   #12
Bigdav160

The literature from the GM Heritage site has HP/Torque ratings if that's what you need.
Attached Images

'73 Z-28 Camaro
'63 Ford SWB Uni Pickup
'50 Ford Coupe
Bigdav160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 04:44 AM   #13
NomadUK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdav160 View Post
The literature from the GM Heritage site has HP/Torque ratings if that's what you need.
That's great, BigDav. Thanks very much. I couldn't read your attachment as it wouldn't expand so I googled GM Heritage Center and, wow, what a mine of information. Found the 72 truck info easily but then got side tracked as you'd expect. Thanks again.
Old 09-27-2017, 05:00 AM   #14
NomadUK

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68gmsee View Post
Nomad, is this for taxing purposes? If so, I wonder who thinks up these laws?

I guess they figure the higher the horsepower the more energy is consumed but it's not always the case. Some of these modern engines can be super efficient and have more horsepower per cubic inch or cc displacement than older larger motors.
Hi GMSee, The Government is wanting to introduce a criteria to be met by 40 and above year old vehicles if they want to be classed as Vehicles of Historic Interest. If they are VHI then they avoid an annual roadworthiness test and don't have to pay annual 'road tax' as we call it. The criteria they've come up with is that the vehicle is virtually box-stock but they will allow an increase of up to 15% in it's Power to Weight Ratio before it's no longer VHI. It's a bit of a silly criteria that we're attempting to contest but in the meanwhile I'm gathering info for my own use just in case.
Old 09-27-2017, 09:31 AM   #15
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadUK View Post
Hi GMSee, The Government is wanting to introduce a criteria to be met by 40 and above year old vehicles if they want to be classed as Vehicles of Historic Interest. If they are VHI then they avoid an annual roadworthiness test and don't have to pay annual 'road tax' as we call it. The criteria they've come up with is that the vehicle is virtually box-stock but they will allow an increase of up to 15% in it's Power to Weight Ratio before it's no longer VHI. ....
Never underestimate the ability of the government of finding ways to tax or "fee" everything. Here in the states, I can't think of a single thing that is not taxed or "fee'd" directly or indirectly other than the air we breathe. And, if they could figure out a way, they would tax that also.
I just want a vehicle that I can work on, that won't talk to me, leave error msgs or keep track of how I drive...

Last edited by 68gmsee; 09-27-2017 at 10:22 AM.
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote