The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-18-2018, 04:32 AM   #1
vetnat

bellhousing from c60?

Hi. Out driving in the country today and spotted a derelict looking 1960 or 61 c60 (was raining so didn't take any pics for definitive ID). It has a V8 engine. Before I try tracking down the owner, I want to know if I could use the bellhousing from it to put a 292 into my 1961 c10 (currently has the 235). AFAIK it should work, but a bit uncertain because the C60 is such a big truck. Thanks.
Old 08-18-2018, 11:09 AM   #2
Nanook

Re: bellhousing from c60?

PM me...I have the bell housing you need in Calgary.
Nanook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 02:33 PM   #3
vetnat

I will PM you Nanook. Thanks. In the meantime, any comments if bellhousing from the c60 would work? It is about 90 minutes from my house.
Old 08-19-2018, 12:58 AM   #4
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

It may or may not work depending on what trans is bolted to it in the C60. Is it a 4 speed or a 5 speed?
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 02:19 AM   #5
vetnat

I will have to check on the trans. Thanks for the tip. I presume 4 speed would work, but not 5 speed?
Old 10-18-2018, 02:49 PM   #6
vetnat

OK, have not heard back from the owner of the C60 yet, but in the meantime have found 2 other 8 cylinder trucks, but they both have 5 speeds in them. Is it possible to use the bellhousing from a 5 speed for my 3 speed trans? I was unaware of 5 speed transmissions used in 60's trucks before now, so I know very little about them.
Old 10-18-2018, 11:33 PM   #7
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

I have never seen a 5 speed in a C10,20 or 30 truck. Only in the C50 and up trucks. Too bad you are so far away, I have 3 or 4 of the bellhousings you will need that will likely go to the scrap yard.
Old 10-19-2018, 02:37 AM   #8
vetnat

Damn! Too bad, indeed. Thanks for the help, will keep looking.
Old 01-28-2019, 01:09 AM   #9
vetnat

Ok, have found a C50(?) with the clutch fork on the passenger side and a V8, but again it is a 5 speed. So, will the bellhousing fit my 3 speed trans, but may not mount properly to the truck, or does it not work at all? I am assuming the bellhousing for a 5 speed trans is not the same as the bellhousing that fits a 3 or 4 speed trans? It seems only the big trucks came with V8s around here. Thanks.
Old 01-29-2019, 12:51 PM   #10
paulspickupparts

If you are trying to keep you truck stock as you know you will need to get a V-8 bellhousing from a 60-62 Chevy Pickup (RH Passenger side Hydraulic Clutch ) . I am not 100 % on this but pretty sure the round circle that the trans fits into on the rear of the bellhousing is larger on the big transmissions. It should match the collar diameter on the front of you transmission . Sure you might be able to bolt up to the larger diameter center but will not mount the trans as designed. Before you buy a bellhousing measure the opening on your current bellhousing and transmission collar . Then measure the opening of the bellhousing you want to use. They should be the same as long as someone has not messed with it.
paulspickupparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 12:51 PM   #11
paulspickupparts

I think Nanook said he has what you need.
Old 01-29-2019, 01:36 PM   #12
vetnat

Thanks for the reply. I will try contacting Nanook again.
Old 01-30-2019, 10:44 PM   #13
Wrenchbender Ret

Those larger trucks have a larger bell housing to acomidate a larger clutch. They have an adapter plate between the engine & BH. That is where the upper mounting hole is used that comes drilled & tapped on most truck engines. You can look at one & tell if it has the adapter plate. The center hole is larger with sm465 transmissions & probably New process & 5 speeds.
George
Wrenchbender Ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 12:12 PM   #14
vetnat

Great, thanks. Now I know what to look out for.
Old 02-02-2019, 12:34 AM   #15
vetnat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainfab View Post
I have never seen a 5 speed in a C10,20 or 30 truck. Only in the C50 and up trucks. Too bad you are so far away, I have 3 or 4 of the bellhousings you will need that will likely go to the scrap yard.
What would you be asking for a bellhousing? Willing to ship? Zip code 59254. Thanks.
Old 02-02-2019, 12:50 AM   #16
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Going back and rereading, when I posted that, I did not realize that you needed a '60-'62 V8 bellhousing with the hydraulic clutch. The bellhousings that I have are for the '63-'67 tucks with a mechanical clutch. You would have to purchase an aftermarket hydraulic clutch conversion to use one in your '61. And then it would not be original looking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vetnat View Post
What would you be asking for a bellhousing? Willing to ship? Zip code 59254. Thanks.
Old 02-02-2019, 01:46 AM   #17
vetnat

Too bad! Hen's teeth! Thanks for reply.
Old 02-02-2019, 11:19 AM   #18
paulspickupparts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrenchbender Ret View Post
Those larger trucks have a larger bell housing to acomidate a larger clutch. They have an adapter plate between the engine & BH. That is where the upper mounting hole is used that comes drilled & tapped on most truck engines. You can look at one & tell if it has the adapter plate. The center hole is larger with sm465 transmissions & probably New process & 5 speeds.
George
Wrenchbender . The bellhousing size depends on the size of the trucks. I have taken several out that the bellhousing matches the pickup bellousing with the exception of the circle for the transmission . 4 speed to 4 speed circle might be ok but I believe is larger the 3 speed circle may be different.

As you say there is also a larger version which does not even resemble the smaller bellhousing . As you say I usually find them in larger trucks. The more heavy duty larger GVW rating.
Old 02-02-2019, 11:41 AM   #19
paulspickupparts

Quote:
Going back and rereading, when I posted that, I did not realize that you needed a '60-'62 V8 bellhousing with the hydraulic clutch. The bellhousings that I have are for the '63-'67 tucks with a mechanical clutch. You would have to purchase an aftermarket hydraulic clutch conversion to use one in your '61. And then it would not be original looking.
Captain . I do not think he would have to purchase aftermarket clutch conversion . As his truck is a 61 he should already have the clutch setup with the dual master cylnder . One side of the master cylinder is for the clutch and the other side is for the brakes . If the truck is stock there will be a steel hydraulic line that runs down from the master cylinder along the firewall. It then switches to a rubber line ( much like a rubber brake hose) This is to take up the flex from the clutch to cab . Everything ends up at the slave cylinder mounted on the rh passenger side of the bellhousing . There is no way you could run a solid steel line and not have it crack due to engine trans flex different from the cab flex.

So for 60-62 Chevy pickups there were two bellhousings used . One for the 6 cylinder 235 and one for the 283 . This is because the 235 and 283 do not share the same bolt pattern . If you get the V-8 Bellhousing (hydraulic) you can also run a 250 or 292 as those engines share the same bolt pattern with small block V-8 .

Over the years I have sold a few of the V-8 60-62 bellhousings to the 64-66 truck owners . Usually it for someone that wants to get rid of the Z bar, clutch rod and pedal rod. The frees up room for headers and also is popular in the guys wanting to lower their trucks near the ground. Also a pretty good setup for a street rod application which eliminates clutch linkage and allows the use of a single hydraulic line. Mainly for 4 speed trans apps but whatever you want. If you do this conversions you also have to use a clutch brake pedal setup with the dual pushrods and add a dual master cylinder . Hope I did confuse anyone here. Its all in my head . how it appears on paper varies.

Last edited by paulspickupparts; 02-02-2019 at 11:45 AM. Reason: update
Old 02-03-2019, 12:51 AM   #20
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Yes I am quite familiar with the hydraulic clutch system used on the '60-'62 Chevy's and '60-'63 GMC's

If I were to sell the OP a '63-'67 bellhousing designed for a mechanical clutch. he would have to purchase an aftermarket hydraulic clutch slave cylinder conversion such as the one made by Novak to be able to use it in his '61 Chevy.

https://www.novak-adapt.com/catalog/...hcr3/kit-hcrc/

However I do not know how well the 1"+ bore on the stock clutch master would work with even the 7/8" bore clutch slave cylinder offered by Novak.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulspickupparts View Post
Captain . I do not think he would have to purchase aftermarket clutch conversion . As his truck is a 61 he should already have the clutch setup with the dual master cylnder . One side of the master cylinder is for the clutch and the other side is for the brakes . If the truck is stock there will be a steel hydraulic line that runs down from the master cylinder along the firewall. It then switches to a rubber line ( much like a rubber brake hose) This is to take up the flex from the clutch to cab . Everything ends up at the slave cylinder mounted on the rh passenger side of the bellhousing . There is no way you could run a solid steel line and not have it crack due to engine trans flex different from the cab flex.

So for 60-62 Chevy pickups there were two bellhousings used . One for the 6 cylinder 235 and one for the 283 . This is because the 235 and 283 do not share the same bolt pattern . If you get the V-8 Bellhousing (hydraulic) you can also run a 250 or 292 as those engines share the same bolt pattern with small block V-8 .

Over the years I have sold a few of the V-8 60-62 bellhousings to the 64-66 truck owners . Usually it for someone that wants to get rid of the Z bar, clutch rod and pedal rod. The frees up room for headers and also is popular in the guys wanting to lower their trucks near the ground. Also a pretty good setup for a street rod application which eliminates clutch linkage and allows the use of a single hydraulic line. Mainly for 4 speed trans apps but whatever you want. If you do this conversions you also have to use a clutch brake pedal setup with the dual pushrods and add a dual master cylinder . Hope I did confuse anyone here. Its all in my head . how it appears on paper varies.
Old 02-03-2019, 03:28 PM   #21
paulspickupparts

Quote:
Yes I am quite familiar with the hydraulic clutch system used on the '60-'62 Chevy's and '60-'63 GMC's

If I were to sell the OP a '63-'67 bellhousing designed for a mechanical clutch. he would have to purchase an aftermarket hydraulic clutch slave cylinder conversion such as the one made by Novak to be able to use it in his '61 Chevy.

https://www.novak-adapt.com/catalog/...hcr3/kit-hcrc/

However I do not know how well the 1"+ bore on the stock clutch master would work with even the 7/8" bore clutch slave cylinder offered by Novak.
I agree on the 7/8 bore slave from novak may not work with the pickup slave of 1 1/8 inches . It has been my experience that the slave and master cylinder bores should be almost identical bore or weird things start to happen. I know I have a 61 C60 . That master cylinder has a bore of 1 1/4 and was really hard to find a new one . Many times they were were replaced with the pickup version which also lead to some issues . Thanks