The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-23-2016, 12:36 AM   #1
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Lowering the lift

So my new K20 is a four inch lift. I want to go down to 2.5 inch. Ive had the Skyjacker softride set up before in 2.5 inch and I liked it. All springs, no blocks.

So I looked em up .. sticker shock! LOL, they are way more expensive then they were "back in the day" Plus I only saw the rear leafs with blocks.

So now Im thinking if I have to spend that much money maybe there is something I can do to put longer springs in. I had a 73 K20 and that thing road so much nicer than the 72 and older.

I have no idea if its possible to put later springs in and keep the lift at 2.5 inches. Honestly Im no suspension expert, if its bolt in I can do it. But I don't know all the ins and outs of spring lengths or even where to look to figure this conversion out.

Can some one point me?

Monroe Swap meet May 18-19.
Mike has the same spots for the NW guys he's had forever.
Lunch time BBQ at the spaces.
If you have stuff to sell bring it along.

If you have a question PM stllookn (Mike) here via the board.

https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=851291
CG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 08:04 AM   #2
special-K
Special Order

Re: Lowering the lift

To mount the '73-up front springs the rear mount gets moves back. This is where the frame drops down to where it runs straight back. So, the point where the mount will be located is about 2" lower. I guess that nets a 1" lift? I see people say you get 2" but not sure who's thinking is right. In my mind the back of the spring drops 2" while the front stays in the same place, so wouldn't the whole assembly "pivot" with the axle in the middle netting about 1/2 the distance? If those who have done this say they got 2" lift, then there is the front taken care of. If it's 1", that's not enough and not sure how to get another 1-1.5". Let's see what others say. People also use even longer 52" rear springs. That will ride softer yet, but not sure about about lift numbers.

On the rear, changing to Suburban springs (56" vs 52") gives a better ride, but has no effect on height. 2" blocks are acceptable in my book.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 08:42 AM   #3
ryanroo

I have never tried that swap, but i agree with special-k. if only one mounting point is moved down, net lift is half the move. there may be some additional lift just from the spring.

ryanroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 01:13 AM   #4
swamp rat

Wes at Classic Heartbeat did this to a customers truck about a year ago, not sure of the brand springs but if i recall correctly there were no block involved.

Or maybe call these guys, least there local and they make them.

http://gittspring.com/contact-us/

Swamp Rat build thread :
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=595019

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
swamp rat is offline   Reply With Quote