The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-13-2017, 01:59 AM   #1
87Skier

Steering column for 56

Are there any bolt in steering columns for changing the 4 speed floor shift transmission to a 3 speed automatic on the column shifter in a 56?

I'm helping someone with their truck. I usually work on newer stuff, so I'm not familiar with what was available from the factory or what you guys have been doing with your trucks. The person I'm helping isn't too keen on doing a bunch of custom work, and will probably go with the Lokar automatic trans shifter that bolts to the top of the transmission if nothing else comes up.

Thanks
87Skier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 08:09 AM   #2
idbeast

Re: Steering column for 56

Ididit and Flaming River.
http://www.ididitinc.com/c-1310145-r...umn-shift.html
http://www.flamingriver.com/index.php/products/search
idbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 10:01 AM   #3
dsraven

would kinda need to know if he has a stock steering box or not.

the stock box has the steering column shaft as one piece all the way up to the steering wheel so there is no bolt in easy fix for that. the old column outer shaft is like a piece if muffler pipe that is pressed into the steering box and covers the actual steering input shaft from the wheel down through the dash suppoert bracket, through the floor grommet seal and into the box. what guys do is cut the pipe off just above the box, then cut the shaft off just above the that (the kit will give instructions likely, with measurements), then grind the shaft to look like it is flat on 2 oposing sides (again, a wrap around template is given i beleive), then there is a steering shaft u loint that fits over the shaft after it is machined down. then the rest of the column and wheel etc can be pulled up through the floor and the aftermarket column can be slipped down through after it is prepped and ready. you maybe could check out the sites and find out what length is required etc. there may also be some wiring touch ups to complete for horn and signals etc.

it is some extra work but some guys have been using the column out of an astro van with the automatic trans. most of those are set up for a 700r4 or 4l60E though. you would need some wiring upgrades for this especially if you want to use the ign key that comes with. the nice thing is parts are readily available, it would have locking steering when the key is out and you could also set up the dimmer switch for column if you want to because it is there in the column already.

personally I like the column shift over the floor shift because, unless there is a console, the shifter gets really long to make it easier to shift without bending over like a circus monkey. but then i am also not a fan of patina so there you go.haha. it depends on the look he wants. if he wants the stock look with the key on the dash and a floor dimmer switch then aftermarket or a column from a early chevy van is more wht he would look for.

it is too bad he would need to cut that column because there are guys who want to keep the stock look column but want a floor shifter, because of an automatic upgrade or whatever, and most of these trucks have the 3 on the tree column. to remove the stock colum it has to come out as one piece with the box. a new box would be required with an already cut off input shaft if he wants to keep the old one intact. if he were to do that a power steering upgrade would be an idea at the same time. below is a link to a page where a guy talks about the upgrade and options for his own 55-59 style truck. it has some pics so you can see the stock box and what you are up against. to do an aftermarket column conversion you will also need a support at the floor level of the truck because the new system would othersise just be hanging from the dash support below the wheel. there may be a kit available, I don't know because I have a different set up.

good luck, take pics and post

http://www.classiccarsandtools.com/2...eering-part-1/
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 11:09 AM   #4
DPete

I have the Ididit column with the Lokar on the floor, it was done by the PO. If I had it to do over again I'd get the column with the shifter to keep the floor uncluttered. It works fine though.
Old 04-13-2017, 06:31 PM   #5
OrrieG

I used an 82 eldorado column to get the shift off the floor (th350), locking column, built in turn signal and dim, tilt and telescope. Modified it for a 48 steering wheel to keep the truck look. Went with eldo because the part that sticks out of the firewall is shorter than standard GM columns of same era.
Attached Images

OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 11:38 AM   #6
_Ogre

as dsraven mentioned, it's not easy on these trucks if you use the stock steering
though it'd be easy to convert a 3 on the tree column to auto on the column

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 12:00 PM   #7
87Skier

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsraven View Post
would kinda need to know if he has a stock steering box or not.

the stock box has the steering column shaft as one piece all the way up to the steering wheel so there is no bolt in easy fix for that. the old column outer shaft is like a piece if muffler pipe that is pressed into the steering box and covers the actual steering input shaft from the wheel down through the dash suppoert bracket, through the floor grommet seal and into the box. what guys do is cut the pipe off just above the box, then cut the shaft off just above the that (the kit will give instructions likely, with measurements), then grind the shaft to look like it is flat on 2 oposing sides (again, a wrap around template is given i beleive), then there is a steering shaft u loint that fits over the shaft after it is machined down. then the rest of the column and wheel etc can be pulled up through the floor and the aftermarket column can be slipped down through after it is prepped and ready. you maybe could check out the sites and find out what length is required etc. there may also be some wiring touch ups to complete for horn and signals etc.

it is some extra work but some guys have been using the column out of an astro van with the automatic trans. most of those are set up for a 700r4 or 4l60E though. you would need some wiring upgrades for this especially if you want to use the ign key that comes with. the nice thing is parts are readily available, it would have locking steering when the key is out and you could also set up the dimmer switch for column if you want to because it is there in the column already.

personally I like the column shift over the floor shift because, unless there is a console, the shifter gets really long to make it easier to shift without bending over like a circus monkey. but then i am also not a fan of patina so there you go.haha. it depends on the look he wants. if he wants the stock look with the key on the dash and a floor dimmer switch then aftermarket or a column from a early chevy van is more wht he would look for.

it is too bad he would need to cut that column because there are guys who want to keep the stock look column but want a floor shifter, because of an automatic upgrade or whatever, and most of these trucks have the 3 on the tree column. to remove the stock colum it has to come out as one piece with the box. a new box would be required with an already cut off input shaft if he wants to keep the old one intact. if he were to do that a power steering upgrade would be an idea at the same time. below is a link to a page where a guy talks about the upgrade and options for his own 55-59 style truck. it has some pics so you can see the stock box and what you are up against. to do an aftermarket column conversion you will also need a support at the floor level of the truck because the new system would otherwise just be hanging from the dash support below the wheel. there may be a kit available, I don't know because I have a different set up.

good luck, take pics and post

http://www.classiccarsandtools.com/2...eering-part-1/
Good information! I knew that these were a one-piece column and steering box, but didn't realize that it was possible to cut this apart. I think he wants to keep an original style column, so I'm pretty sure cutting it apart and swapping newer stuff in there won't happen.

These are all cool projects and ideas.
87Skier is offline   Reply With Quote