The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-08-2013, 09:24 PM   #1
Silverray76

Transfer case brace

Hey guys picked up a 79 k5 not to long ago and today my friend had come over to check it out. He gets under the truck and notices that the transfer case is loose and starts to move it rapidly which also made the trans and motor move. Also he tells me there is a part missing on the transfer case because there are 2 open slots where something needs to be. I found out that there is a brace missing. Anybody have any pics of the braces hooked up and maybe point me into the direction of where i can get one. Im afraid that something may happen like it falling off while i drive
Old 02-09-2013, 02:43 PM   #2
kwmech

Re: Transfer case brace

If you are talking about the brace that bolts to the side of the t-case and anchors to the frame...........finish removing it and leave it off. The drivetrain needs to flex some and the brace prevents this eventually breaking either the transmission case or the adapter, assuming it is an automatic. It won't hurt a thing by removing
kwmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 07:44 PM   #3
BLAZERMAN
Currently Blazerless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverray76 View Post
Hey guys picked up a 79 k5 not to long ago and today my friend had come over to check it out. He gets under the truck and notices that the transfer case is loose and starts to move it rapidly which also made the trans and motor move. Also he tells me there is a part missing on the transfer case because there are 2 open slots where something needs to be. I found out that there is a brace missing. Anybody have any pics of the braces hooked up and maybe point me into the direction of where i can get one. Im afraid that something may happen like it falling off while i drive
Regardless of whether or not that side brace is in place you must have some other issues if there is that much movement by hand... I would be checking condition of your transmission and motor mounts.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-09-2013, 08:44 PM   #4
psuedopimp

Check the transmission to transfer case adaptor. Maybe you are missing a bolt there
Posted via Mobile Device
psuedopimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 11:02 PM   #5
Rust_phoenix

X2 on the missing mount bolts, i have seen motor and transmission mounts that have been oil soaked detiorate and fall apart also. here is a link to the correct type bracing for your blazer http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=510109 as of late december he still had them, the mounts that have been mentioned earlier by others were for older trucks with the NP205 t-case, many post have been written about them and breakage supposedly caused by that brace as it mounts to the frame, unlike the newer model that goes from the bellhousing to the t-case.

Last edited by Rust_phoenix; 02-10-2013 at 11:03 PM. Reason: Spelling
Rust_phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 06:25 PM   #6
muddnutz

My brace goes from transfer case to motor mount. I just removed my tranny and had to pull it off
Posted via Mobile Device