The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-24-2017, 01:20 PM   #1
Dan in Pasadena

Task Force - Steele Rubber Door Weatherstrip

An urgent question for you guys that have ordered from Steele: They offer two types of door weatherstripping.

One they call "smaller" though the closeup cross section still shows 5/8" as the dimension.

This:
http://www.steelerubber.com/door-wea...rip-60-0485-72

Versus this:
http://www.steelerubber.com/door-wea...rip-60-0416-72

QUESTION:

Which should I order for the best fit and least back-and-for hassle?

I have read some guys have problem shutting their doors after installing door rubber but I always assumed that was because they didn't order from Steele OR they installed them backward - which I've red over and over is very common.

Dan's '55 Big Window "Build" - Well, Kinda!
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 01:45 PM   #2
_Ogre

Re: Task Force - Steele Rubber Door Weatherstrip

never seen this type weather strip on the doors. you might want to call steele to see what they recommend as this type may cut down on wind noise and water infiltration thru the car wash

i use this style on truck and get lots of wind noise and water in the cab thru the car wash

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 02:38 PM   #3
MIKESAD50

Dan I cant say I have used those or many other than Factory Rubber and weatherstripping, But the Steele products I got I have had no issue, appears to be high quality. I went with the thicker of the 2 door weather strip for the AD's and seems to be ok, Door is tight and has not been fully adjusted yet either.
My buddy doing an AD build also bought rubber and seals from one of the Big truck parts supplier, not sure it really matters which one of them, as most of their parts are the same low quality. But he had fitment issues with most all of it.
I would recommend Steel Rubber products.
Old 04-24-2017, 03:01 PM   #4
62lwbc10

i bought my weatherstripping for doors from Steele and got the same feedback, that they have the original style and also the smaller profile style which people seem to have better luck with. I bought the original style and will be installing within a few weeks. I'll let you know what kind of experience I have.
Posted via Mobile Device
62lwbc10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 03:06 PM   #5
Dan in Pasadena

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Ogre View Post
never seen this type weather strip on the doors. you might want to call steele to see what they recommend as this type may cut down on wind noise and water infiltration thru the car wash

i use this style on truck and get lots of wind noise and water in the cab thru the car wash

HERESY! HERESY! BURN HIM!

Car wash? Car wash? Take my custom built, once in a lifetime dream truck through an automated car wash? It's NEVER happening. But seriously, I get your point.

Without a firm reason I'm leaning toward buying the smaller weatherstrip only because if there's a problem with the large one the immediate tendency will be to slam the door harder - and I don't want anyone to be tempted to do that. Hopefully someone will chime in with some direct experience on a TF truck AND with Steele.

Old 04-25-2017, 05:33 AM   #6
BIGglaSS

I'm curious as well. I just tried "Precision" and they are waaayyy too tight. Not to throw a curve ball, but I just came across an ad for www.metrommp.com They claim to have the softest seals. I haven't had a chance to check them out.
BIGglaSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 05:39 AM   #7
BIGglaSS

After a quick look at MMP, not sure if they do the door seals. Rock auto lists them for 55-59, but the part # doesn't exist with the manufacturer. Might be a generic weatherstrip.
Old 04-25-2017, 10:01 AM   #8
bowt1ed

I recall reading many guys on here giving Soff Seal a thumbs up....
bowt1ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 01:19 PM   #9
Dan in Pasadena

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGglaSS View Post
I'm curious as well. I just tried "Precision" and they are waaayyy too tight. Not to throw a curve ball, but I just came across an ad for www.metrommp.com They claim to have the softest seals. I haven't had a chance to check them out.
Good info on Precision, thanks.

Never heard of this MMP place before. I'd have nothing against them of course - unless they are some kind of generic seal because then i don't want them at all. But I favor using Steele just because I've always read good reviews of them.

Old 04-26-2017, 04:52 PM   #10
_Ogre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena View Post
HERESY! HERESY! BURN HIM!

Car wash? Car wash? Take my custom built, once in a lifetime dream truck through an automated car wash? It's NEVER happening. But seriously, I get your point.
heresy is hand washing truk at home with my terrible well water
shammy that bad boy dry and had white spots all over truk: did it one time, never again

i take truk thru the car wash all the time, touch free, but i'm in and out in 3 min
(plus a little time for wiping down windows and steps)

burn away

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 12:47 AM   #11
Coupeguy2001

Dan, I bought seals from the truck shop in Orange. They were the original type.
You are right, you can't shut the doors.
What I did was use masking tape, and marked the door strikers' positions with a pen on the tape. Then loosened the door striker plate until the doors shut. Then every couple weeks, I tightened the striker plates a little at a time, until i got back to the original markings and removed the tape.
WD 40 removes the tape without discoloring the paint. you can also use goo gone or orange cleaner, but the orange cleaner might discolor the paint.
Coupeguy2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 02:36 AM   #12
BIGglaSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena View Post
Good info on Precision, thanks.

Never heard of this MMP place before. I'd have nothing against them of course - unless they are some kind of generic seal because then i don't want them at all. But I favor using Steele just because I've always read good reviews of them.
I hadn't heard of them either. I was looking on rockauto and saw them. Then a few days later, saw an ad in Hemmings.

Coupeguy, that's a good idea. Right now, they're closed tight for a couple weeks while I"m out of town. I was hoping when I get home, they will compress.

I might try to trim them down a little bit. Worse case scenario, I was going to try a different brand anyway.
Old 04-27-2017, 10:40 AM   #13
Coupeguy2001

You might try heating up the seals with a hair dryer, shutting the door, then putting a heater in the truck to make the metal warm so the foam flows a little bit.
HERE IN az, you put the seals in in the morning, shut the door in half an hour...............lol
Coupeguy2001 is offline   Reply With Quote