The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-17-2022, 02:06 PM   #1
bwhite220

Starter Question

I have a 1970 GMC that occasionally will not fire up when I turn the key. The lights come on, but nothing from the starter. If I use the 'ol "hit the starter with a hammer" trick, it fires right up.

I'm tired of doing that and it's embarrassing when I'm in public.

Looking at replacing the starter and it seems like the Summit Racing Mini High-Torque Starters (SUM-829105) get a lot of praise for it's output and longevity. Anyone have any good/bad experiences with them? Or, do you recommend a different/better starter?

Thank you in advance!
bwhite220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2022, 02:29 PM   #2
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Re: Starter Question

I have a Hitachi (I think) that has been on my truck, that I got at a local speed shop. Works fine, but longevity is unknown, since I've only driven it about 10k miles in 10 years.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2022, 03:08 PM   #3
72SB

IMHO a Remy starter from Rockauto will be fine. I get the "gear reduction" type (aka mini starter) for around $75. Gear reduction starters are smaller, lighter and provide considerably more "cranking" RPM's than conventional starter

Here is a X reference chart for REMY starters showing conventional to gear reduction and also if they are 1 vs 2 wire. I have the 153 tooth SBC 2 wire (with R terminal) on my 67 Camaro and will get the same if/when I need one for the C10
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Starter-6-RemyTechnicalBulletin_Feb2016_web.pdf (230.5 KB, 94 views)
72SB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2022, 04:10 PM   #4
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

^ I paid a bit more for my starter. That was before I saw this style mentioned here. I'll replace it if it ever goes bad.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2022, 10:19 PM   #5
DA71Grande

I got this acdelco starter that’s been on my truck for sometime haven’t had any issues…

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/ado-337-1022

71 Sierra Grande C25
16 Sierra 2500HD All Terrain
23 Chevy Tahoe Z71

https://paypal.me/digdug7131?locale.x=en_US
DA71Grande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2022, 10:24 PM   #6
bwhite220

I’m rolling the dice and going with the one I posted. Talked to a few of the local guys who have trucks similar to mine and they love it and have had no issues. Here goes nothing.
bwhite220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2022, 10:45 PM   #7
franken

If turning the key to start doesn't do anything there's a solenoid issue. It's also likely to be a wiring issue.
Rather than throwing parts at it maybe try some troubleshooting. What's the voltage to the solenoid case from the S-terminal with the key in the start position?
Maybe loosen and tighten all the electrical connections for the starter and solenoid.
franken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2022, 11:42 PM   #8
NGN

I have my original starters and alternators rebuilt by a father and son only, small shop. Been doing business with the dad for over forty two years, never had any issue and cool dudes just to stop in and shot the breeze with, small talk there busy. Good luck with yours.
Take care
NGN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2022, 09:18 AM   #9
72c20customcamper

I use Powermaster starters in all my vehicles . Stock starters quit quickly I bought a cheaper I think DB Electric mini starter in my chevelle it lasted 2 years . The Powermaster is now 4 years and not one problem . I have since put them in all my trucks too .

Good quality and made in USA
1969 AMX ,
1968 c20 stepside ,85 K20
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.
72c20customcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2022, 12:28 PM   #10
1967-C10

for intermittent no start, your starter solenoid has a large copper washer inside that makes contact to engage the starter motor.
Over time the washer becomes non conductive in spots due to the arcing of engaging solenoid.
to fix remove starter solenoid, disassemble, flip large copper washer over, clean up copper contact stud, and you will have a solenoid that functions reliable like new. your best alternative is a gear reduction starter.
good luck !
1967-C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2022, 01:07 PM   #11
Southcity

Quote:
Originally Posted by franken View Post
If turning the key to start doesn't do anything there's a solenoid issue. It's also likely to be a wiring issue.
Rather than throwing parts at it maybe try some troubleshooting. What's the voltage to the solenoid case from the S-terminal with the key in the start position?
Maybe loosen and tighten all the electrical connections for the starter and solenoid.
Sound advise from franken. Doing a little troubleshooting first is free and won't take much time.
1.Disconnect your battery first
2.Try to get under the truck and do a visual of the starter, wires, state of connections/terminals, battery cable (anything dirty, loose, frayed etc?)
3.Check to ensure the starter itself is not loose (starter bolts)
4.Reconnect battery and try to start checking voltages as franken mentioned above

This will give you piece of mind and ensure all starter related systems/wiring are in good shape and help determine if you really need a new starter or not.
With that said, I have had very good reliability and performance from many different mini starter brands: Summit, Powermaster, GM reduction starters etc.
Old 07-20-2022, 08:24 PM   #12
jaros44sr

put the right starter bolts in it now, save breaking a block

All parts offered to help are free, unless otherwise noted

Dont try this stuff in my build thread, unless you have 55 years of mechanical OTJ training
SAFETY FIRST

AS usual, off topic

They say your mind goes second, can't remember the first

Jim
jaros44sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2022, 08:25 PM   #13
jaros44sr

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1967-C10 View Post
for intermittent no start, your starter solenoid has a large copper washer inside that makes contact to engage the starter motor.
Over time the washer becomes non conductive in spots due to the arcing of engaging solenoid.
to fix remove starter solenoid, disassemble, flip large copper washer over, clean up copper contact stud, and you will have a solenoid that functions reliable like new. your best alternative is a gear reduction starter.
good luck !
didn't know that, cool

All parts offered to help are free, unless otherwise noted

Dont try this stuff in my build thread, unless you have 55 years of mechanical OTJ training
SAFETY FIRST

AS usual, off topic

They say your mind goes second, can't remember the first

Jim
jaros44sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2022, 08:42 PM   #14
Dead Parrot

While the OP is trying a new starter, for others with a similar issue, a starter that works when 'hit with hammer', could have bad brushes. A few years ago when mine did this, a set of brushes was a $4 fix.
Dead Parrot is offline   Reply With Quote