The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-30-2004, 10:32 PM   #1
super_kev
Wonder Boy

3 '56s for $4k - good deal?

A friend of mine has a couple sons who wanted to restore some old chevy's and so they bought 3 '56s (one shortbed, big window, two longbeds, big window and small window) some 10 years ago. Well, both kids have gone moved out and are married, and the parents want to get the trucks out of their yard. The two longbeds haven't been started on and are half-way dissassembled (no front end.) The shortbed is in the garage with the cab having new corners, some body work, fenders worked on, hood ready, frame sanded down and rust-proof coated, and a fresh rebuilt 350 w/TH400 sitting on it. The glass is perfect (the longbeds will need some new glass for the front and doors) and all the parts are there for the competion of the '56 shortbed. The longbeds are all there, but the front ends are off. I was thinking of offering $3700 or so for all 3, and then finishing the shortbed, restoring a longbed, and then selling the other for somebody else's project. I'd like you guy's input on this, and if I were to sell the other longbed, what could I get for it unrestored?

Also, I'd like to drop a Heidits MII front end on the shortbed 56, since it has the axle, but would this require new motor and transmission mounts?
Old 05-01-2004, 08:05 AM   #2
john j

IMO you would be money ahead in the long run to buy them. The motor and trans woul almost get your money back. You don't see alot of long beds anymore and people do look for all kinds of parts. If you can get them and the parts are not all rusted up, go for it. If they were 58's i would be after the front fenders.johnj
Old 05-01-2004, 04:05 PM   #3
ShamrockCustoms
Project56 on hold

if they all have titles, go for it. longbed won't get you much, but the parts could help out as will the cabs and titles.

2009 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS daily driver
1956 Chevy Stepside rodstoration on winter hold
ShamrockCustoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2004, 11:10 AM   #4
super_kev
Wonder Boy

Ok thanks for the replies. What about the motor mounts? The guy who was working on it before has already had some custom motor and tranny mounts fabbed up and installed with the engine, and he already has a driveline shortened and balanced. If I were to put a MII front end on it, would I have to toss the mounts and get new ones along with modifiying the driveshaft?
Old 05-05-2004, 01:15 AM   #5
PBFAB.COM

If you go with a Mustang II you will definitely need new motor mounts. You might not have to modify the tranny mount location or the driveshaft length, it depends if you are able ot keep the motor in the current location after installing the MII crossmember.

I would be interested in the other big window cab if you buy the trucks.
PBFAB.COM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 09:20 AM   #6
Seon

Unless you have a large yard to park all these trucks and able to part them out without your neighbors complaining to the city/county then it might be a good deal.
Also, you'll have to deal with emails or phone calls inquiring as to what parts you still have available. Then there's the pain of having to package and arrange shipping. Oh,
did I mention having to remove the parts too? And all parts left over that doesn't sell will need to be dispose. Lot's of work involved. Buy all the trucks is a great plan, but the execution might be hard.
Unless you're needing extra parts off the other trucks, it's best just to buy the completed truck and pass on the others.
Seon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 10:07 AM   #7
super_kev
Wonder Boy

That's what I figured. I'll just pick up the one shortbed. The guy dropped the price on the shortbed to $2000 (don't know who he was talking to, but that makes it a even better deal) and then $1000 each for the other too. Given the condition, I think that's a little much. I'd love to have another, but I want to save my money for a wagon. Anybody know where I can find a '55-'57 wagon?