The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-09-2022, 04:55 PM   #1
72SB

Simple Stereo

My 72 is a radio delete. I have a JBL Extreme3 BT speaker system. 2 screws and Velcro straps and I have a simple, loud, stereo.

Didn't want to cut up dash for a single DIN and Retro is...well IMHO low bang for the buck after hearing one in my friends 69 Camaro

So this JBL, for me , works
Attached Images

72SB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2022, 12:50 AM   #2
dmjlambert

Re: Simple Stereo

Good idea and I agree with that approach. I use an amp and speakers that does bluetooth under my bench seat. I plan to get my stock AM radio going again after I deal with the cut up dash. Then the truck will be back to stock condition and extra and modern tunes hidden.
dmjlambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2022, 08:57 AM   #3
Chevys4life

Question...........do you think that JBL Extreme3 BT speaker system will fit behind your seat? I would like to get one and mount it there.
Chevys4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2022, 09:42 AM   #4
jumpsoffrock

I'm also interested in running radio-less as somewhat of a theft deterrent. Give less reason for trouble.

I bought an Ultimate Ears Boom 3 in 2019: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...0?ie=UTF8&th=1

I used it in a non insulated cab of a Ford F100, truck has 6 banger and wimpy stock exhaust; but it was also spring and I had windows down. Could barely hear it(duh lol). With windows up it was still not really worth it. Of course I could hear the song in general and the singing, but there wasn't much sound definition, I couldn't hear the little things that make songs good.

Nonetheless I wasn't satisfied with the boombox experience, however I have also driven that truck for 10 years with no radio ever, so I just shut it down and forgot about it.
jumpsoffrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2022, 02:20 PM   #5
72SB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevys4life View Post
Question...........do you think that JBL Extreme3 BT speaker system will fit behind your seat? I would like to get one and mount it there.
IDK without looking. Not sure how far down gas tank goes. I would think any speaker behind the seat would be somewhat muted

Mine is just held in with Velcro strap so can be easily removed....and moved to bed for the tail gate hang

Not saying this is the end all be all truck/car stereo. My Pioneer in the Camaro is louder as any wired system would be. With that said this Extreme 3 is loud (100 watt) and does not distort at max volume streaming from my phone.

For me it works vs the cost and mediocre Retro radio sound. If I didn't mind cutting up my dash I would just put in a $100 BT single DIN head unit and install speakers.....this was a 5 min install and for me works

Yeah there are "other" brands (read clones)....you get what you pay for

Even with windows down on Fwy, it works for me...speaking from a 40+ year R&R touring road guy. But admittingly not as loud as any concert PA let alone aux amp wired system with subs.
Old 07-11-2022, 12:53 PM   #6
dz1087

I've got a little BT speaker I throw up on the dash. The speakers face me directly, so it doesn't have to be as loud. I may eventually get the ol' 8-track hooked back up though.
dz1087 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 04:37 PM   #7
72SB

yeah I had a small Bose BT unit on dash....just did not get loud enough. YMMV
Old 07-14-2022, 07:40 PM   #8
Chevys4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72SB View Post
IDK without looking. Not sure how far down gas tank goes. I would think any speaker behind the seat would be somewhat muted

Mine is just held in with Velcro strap so can be easily removed....and moved to bed for the tail gate hang

Not saying this is the end all be all truck/car stereo. My Pioneer in the Camaro is louder as any wired system would be. With that said this Extreme 3 is loud (100 watt) and does not distort at max volume streaming from my phone.

For me it works vs the cost and mediocre Retro radio sound. If I didn't mind cutting up my dash I would just put in a $100 BT single DIN head unit and install speakers.....this was a 5 min install and for me works

Yeah there are "other" brands (read clones)....you get what you pay for

Even with windows down on Fwy, it works for me...speaking from a 40+ year R&R touring road guy. But admittingly not as loud as any concert PA let alone aux amp wired system with subs.
Thanks for the informaiton on the Extreme 3!!!
Chevys4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2022, 05:34 PM   #9
72SB

UPDATE

Well like any speaker....it really want to be facing you vs away.

On further review I looked at the hanging bars on the JBL unit....hum....held it up to the dash area....noticed 2 screws holding on heat/fan controls. They lined up with the hanging bars of JBL unit.

Couple of small D rings later and 2 M4 carabineers (Amazon) and BOOM. Like it was made for it. No alterations otherwise to dash. Used existing screws to hold D rings

I will also add there is an APP for these JBL BT units. Get it. You can then adjust EQ of the unit. Made a HUGE difference.

On/Off & Volume controls are easily accessed from drivers' position. Liking the new home for the JBL
Attached Images

Old 07-22-2022, 05:59 PM   #10
Jason Banks

That is great!
Jason Banks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2022, 07:30 PM   #11
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

I may make it to a meetup next month at the Firestone lot. I'd like to see that little boom box. I had things going on, plus the seat is out of my truck getting upholstered. I'm ready to hog ring the seat upholstery down, I'm done with the back rest. Put in a new headliner, too.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote