The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-22-2017, 02:01 PM   #1
72LSLB

72 LWB with leafs, need to be educated

Got under my 72 C10 lwb last night to get a closer look at the suspension components out back. My truck has leafs, which I'm told are rare for a chevy truck, but standard on a GMC. My truck has been lowered approx. 5 inches front and back, the back was done with an axle flip kit and the frame was c-notched. It currently has crummy Monroe shocks on it that will be getting replaced by Belltech street performers.

There's currently no other hardware back there, like a panhard rod or trailing arms. I believe the coil spring rears have panhard rods?
Is there anything else I can add out back to help the cornering/ride of the truck? I also noticed the shock mount on the frame has 2 different locations; the shocks are currently in the most rearward location. If I can be directed to a link that explains the rear suspension on a leaf spring 67-72 truck it would be greatly appreciated; and also if I could be directed to the best bang for the buck add-ons that would also be great. Thanks!
Old 02-23-2017, 11:29 PM   #2
72LSLB

Re: 72 LWB with leafs, need to be educated

Here are a few pics of the shock mounts I mentioned in my initial post. Why are there 2 shock mount positions and which one would be best for a lowered truck?

Old 02-26-2017, 09:48 AM   #3
72LSLB

Ok, got under the rear again and figured out that the guy who did the rear axle flip bolted the shock as shown in the pic. The other one is the stock shock mount. The shocks have almost zero travel. I've read where the coil rears have a shock relocation kit for lowered trucks. Are there any out there for leaf spring lowered trucks?
Old 02-26-2017, 10:54 AM   #4
oldman3

You can either weld a bracket to your lower plate to mount the shock, or purchase a plate that has the same hole pattern that you now have. Here's a link to Speedway that sells the lower plates for an ideal. http://www.speedwaymotors.com/D-R-Cl...ro,116657.html You would also need the bolts kit for the shock. Hope this helps...Jim
oldman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 10:59 AM   #5
oldman3

72 Forgot to add that with this lower bracket, that the shock would now be at a better angle, (more straight) and the shock would mount lower, which would add some length, so same shocks might be used...Jim
oldman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 08:27 PM   #6
72LSLB

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman3 View Post
72 Forgot to add that with this lower bracket, that the shock would now be at a better angle, (more straight) and the shock would mount lower, which would add some length, so same shocks might be used...Jim
Thanks Jim. I bought new Belltech Street Performers for all 4 corners, installed the fronts yesterday, and will fabricate a new shock mount for the lower part of the shock for the rear.

It's kind of weird that there are plenty of leaf spring trucks out there and no aftermarket relocation mounts have been designed for them.