The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-25-2016, 01:49 AM   #1
Mrturner1

Gearing up for suspension upgrades

Well it's looooong over due but its time to start upgrading my suspension and brakes, this truck absolutely hauls in a straight line, but it drives like a tug boat in choppy water.

I'm not going to extreme and the budget isn't huge, but I'm set on getting all new springs, shocks, front sway bar, anti-squat kit and manual front disk brakes. I know there are sponsors here on the site and I'd like to support them, so I just need to be pointed in the right direction and I need a little help on a parts list.

Here's the thing about springs, I want to lower the truck and I know how much lower I want it than it already is, but after 45 years the springs are sagging I'm sure so I have to anticipate how much, that way I don't end up at the same height I'm at or ever worse, lifted a bit. I've been searching through pics of all you guys trucks and it looks like what I'm shooting for is around 2" drop in the front, and 4" to 5" in the back. I'll take some pics of my truck tommarow to give you guys an idea of what I'm starting with.

As far as shocks, I don't know the difference from one to another, so I'm hoping you guys could make suggestions based on the trucks use. It's a cruise night truck that's slowly making its way to being track ready. It'll never be super fast, but I'd be tickled pink if I could get it into the mid 12's. I don't need adjustables I don't think, unless they are really worth it and that cool to play with. The truck will be lowered so I need shorter shocks correct? How do you know how short to get them? Are there just lowered shocks that work for a typical drop?

For the front sway bar I guess a junkyard heavy duty one would work, but I'd almost rather just get a nice one that's bigger like the 3/4 ton trucks, and comes painted and has the nice bushings and mounting hardware.

No idea what one anti-squat kit will do over another, and suggestions?

And for the front manual disk brakes, I'm gonna use a big portion of the budget on this. I'm thinking about a big, drilled and slotted rotor that looks great and won't fade easily. I need to know what parts to get so I can make this work and please be specific because I've heard of thins like prop valves, but I have no idea what that is. A booster isn't happening I definitely want to keep it a manual setup, I am running a big lopey cam with lots of overlap and vacuum is a problem.

I think that's all my questions for now, I'm sure there will be more when we start getting into the details. I really appreciate any help offered, I'm pretty excited to do something besides fix and re-fix my first engine build, it's runnin like a top now, just needs new rocker nuts

Thanks guys
Matt
Mrturner1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 08:08 AM   #2
Mike C

Re: Gearing up for suspension upgrades

Early Classic Enterprises (ECE as it's referred to here on the site usually). Just buy their disc brake conversion kit with 2 1/2" spindles for front and a 4" spring for the rear.

I lowered mine that way in addition to a 2" drop spring in front. My leaf spring rear was flipped with a DJM kit for a 7" drop.
68 Camaro 'vert LT1 & TH700
69 Z/28 355 12.6's @110
69 Chevy Short Step 4 1/2"/7" drop
72 Jimmy 4WD 4spd 4" & 35's
02 GMC 2500HD 4x4 Duramax
Mike C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 08:16 AM   #3
Grumpy old man

1a) buy a short bed , Sorry , I had to do it !

1) brakes piratejack.net buy the kit you want and have everything at one time

2) used factory 11/4" front sway bar post a WTB ad in the classified section ,new bushings and mounts are cheap from most auto parts store and your done for about $100.00 ,aftermarkets use those little cheesey urathane bushings mounted on a long bolt

3)buy a proven complete kit from one of the vendors ,everything you need at one time .

1967 Factory short bed - Old school
'71 - 350 / 4bolt / 487 heads / Edelbrock C3BX
Muncie M-22 4 speed / Hurst Comp plus
Factory 12 bolt posi 3.73 / 255-70-15
Smoothed firewall / Factory cowl induction
Power disc brakes / power steering / 3.5-5" drop
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 04:56 PM   #4
Mrturner1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy old man View Post
1a) buy a short bed , Sorry , I had to do it !

1) brakes piratejack.net buy the kit you want and have everything at one time

2) used factory 11/4" front sway bar post a WTB ad in the classified section ,new bushings and mounts are cheap from most auto parts store and your done for about $100.00 ,aftermarkets use those little cheesey urathane bushings mounted on a long bolt

3)buy a proven complete kit from one of the vendors ,everything you need at one time .
If I get a short bed it's gonna be a 67' and I'd do a total factory restoration and sit on it for about 5 years and then sell it

Are drop shocks all the same? Or do I need to lower it and then measure? And what do you think about adjustables?
Old 08-25-2016, 05:01 PM   #5
Mrturner1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike C View Post
Early Classic Enterprises (ECE as it's referred to here on the site usually). Just buy their disc brake conversion kit with 2 1/2" spindles for front and a 4" spring for the rear.

I lowered mine that way in addition to a 2" drop spring in front. My leaf spring rear was flipped with a DJM kit for a 7" drop.
So if I were to get spindles can I keep it 6 lug because I don't have the money for new axles, wheels and tires.
Old 08-25-2016, 06:15 PM   #6
Mike C

Yes. But you have to do the disc conversion because there are no drum brake drop spindles.
68 Camaro 'vert LT1 & TH700
69 Z/28 355 12.6's @110
69 Chevy Short Step 4 1/2"/7" drop
72 Jimmy 4WD 4spd 4" & 35's
02 GMC 2500HD 4x4 Duramax
Mike C is offline   Reply With Quote