The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-09-2004, 09:57 PM   #1
MAC67
" SHOW ME"

!!!! 4L60E transmissio question !!!!!

ok lookin for the guys that know theyre stuff on these and problems they have , my wife has a 95 ext cab 350 4x4 with the 4l60e in it , i am not real familiar with these transmissions but this is the problem , if i pull the gear selector into 2nd and attempt to take off it slips , if i pull it into first it will go just fine , seems to stay in 2nd a little longer than it should , and all the other gears are fine , it is just that when i pul it into 2nd manually it seems like it trys to take off in second gear and slips ,, any ideas or fixes ?????? transmission was rebuilt by a shop last year , or a new one was put in im not for sure , previous owner had it done
MAC67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2004, 12:09 AM   #2
frost89434

I have a 4l60e in my 94. In my opinion they are a big pile of crap. I have had mine rebuilt 2 times now. So far it is holding ok. I would have the shift solenoids checked out. It almost sounds like that may be the problem. Just a guess though. Do you have a warranty from the tranny shop that rebuilt it? They should be able to hook it up to the scope and check it out. Jim
Sparks, Nevada
frost89434 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2004, 10:09 AM   #3
71Rat
ran out of money

ok this is my experience with about 4 4L60E's i have driven.... if you put it in second gear, your starting off in second not going from first to second. and if you put it in first and try to go to fast it will put itself into second so nothing breaks, kinda like a safety feature. I dont think they are a big pile of crap, i think they way people dont know how to set them up and dont totally adjust the TV cable is what makes people think they are crap.... granted a 4L80E is nicer, but i dont see a problem with 4L60E's or 700R4's almost identical tranny's just one is electronicaly controled.

Rat
Old 05-11-2004, 02:15 AM   #4
MAC67
" SHOW ME"

you are correct rat ,, the transmission shop that had rebult it didnt even know about this feature , i didnt figure it out until on my way home i stopped at a couple car lots and test drove a 96 and a 98 chevy truck , they both did the identicle thing ,. and at both dealerships the owners didnt even know about it ,, i called friends of mine that own these trucks and had them go out and try this , they al thought theyre trannys were going out , then i decided to read the owners manual and there it was , it is a feature for taking off from a stop on ice or snow ,,,,, little advice fellas this isnt a very well known fact about these transmissions , and if you are looking to buy one of these trucks be sure and show the dealership that the truck you are wanting to buy has a bad transmission and the second gear clutches are going out , if he doesnt know about this feature you oughta get one helluva deal hahahaha ,, thanks for the help guys

Mac
MAC67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2004, 02:05 PM   #5
rambler
MOVE OVER

Is there a way to adjust the TV cable on these? mine is doing the same thing, and not upshifting... unless you remove your foot off the accelerator and then it will upshift. I have replaced the Throttle Postion Sensor and the Speed Sensor,, as well as the ECU, new plugs, wires, cap, rotor.... and MAP Sensor...