The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 99-06 GMT800 Chevy and GMC Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-20-2008, 04:52 PM   #1
wasteaway

Looking for feedback

Hey Guys,

I'm in the market for a new (to me) truck since my '99 Toyota failed the frame inspection and 'Yota is stepping up bigtime and paying WAY more than its worth. My truck needs (wants) have changed since the last purchase and I have narrowed my list of trucks to entertain owning down to a select few. Wanting a full sized truck meant there was but one choice. Chevy. OK. Two. And GMC. What I want is;

4x4
regular cab (few and far between these days)
5.3 engine
1/2 ton
373 gears
8' bed
bench seat
2000-2002 in Chevy
2000-2006 GMC (because of body style)

What I found is a MINT 2002 Chevy z71, fancy trim (didn't get the exact model) in pewter, push button 4x4 and hi/lo, cloth interior, auto, 4.8L. I'm sure the list goes on but I didn't pay much attention to extras as I'm more concerned w/condition and function plus I was strapped for time. The truck was obviously taken care of as the bed has NO scratches inside (tonneu cover or cap) and you can eat off any part of it. As for maintanence, I agree that is debatable. Its at a GM dealer, not back yard auto sales. Truck has 91,000. If it were a 5.3, I'd probably own it now.

Question; Whats the deal on the 4.8? Is it a good engine? Strong or a dog? Quirks? Anything to look out for? Come to think, I don't know the gear ratio. Also, salesman said they all have a lifter noise when first started. (it did NOT do it) I think this is piston slap by what I've read here. Any thoughts would be appreciated. This place is a wealth of info and I'd be stupid not to inform myself before a purchase. Thanks in advance.

Oh, the next Chevy will be my 4th (truck). I had a '67, '83 and theres a '71 in the barn now. Just not up on the new stuff.

Last edited by wasteaway; 06-22-2008 at 06:49 PM. Reason: left out a key word-not
wasteaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 08:07 AM   #2
wasteaway

Re: Looking for feedback

"This place is a wealth of info and I'd be stupid not to inform myself before a purchase."

maybe thats just the 67-72 forum.........
Old 06-22-2008, 07:54 AM   #3
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

4.8 is a good motor. Not quite the power animal the 5.3 is, but de3finitely it will run. Most of the 2wd truck will normally have a 3.42 rear, while the 4x4 seems to normally be a 3.73.

I have never had to deal with the "piston slap" cold startup noise, but yes it is very normal for the 4.8/5/3 engines.

A guy I work with has one with 208,000 (99 GMC) and it still runs good.

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 02:26 PM   #4
wasteaway

Thanks Palf,

Just what I like to here. Anyone else have any experience please let me know.
Old 06-22-2008, 03:07 PM   #5
dan42

I've had a new full sized Chevy p/u 4X4 every two years since 1988, and I can tell you that I've never had a bad one. They have all been 350's, though, but I will tell tell you that every one has had the ticking - sometimes, even when they're warm. They have also all had 3.73's in the rear. We have a couple at work, and I know guys that have 200-plus thousand miles on them and they're still going strong. If the price is right I owuldn't have any problems with a 90-grand truck, if it hasn't been beat too bad.
dan42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 06:46 PM   #6
wasteaway

Story is the last owner bought the truck w/11k on it. There is no doubt it was babied. The truck is in awesome shape. Not likely someone kept it looking like new but flogged it or neglected it. It was someones baby.

Just wasn't sure about that engine and if I should steer away from it.
Old 06-22-2008, 11:12 PM   #7
dan42

How much do they want for it? I guarantee they didn't give much for it - I'm sure they used the old, "no one wants to buy these, they use too much gas" excuse. You should be able to work them down pretty good.
Old 06-23-2008, 07:14 AM   #8
wasteaway

The listed price is $9995.00. I didn't check KBB yet but it seems like a good price. Not that KBB full retail is what I'm willing to pay. Thats why I haven't been back yet, let them simmer while I do research. Here is a link to the truck.

http://www.bannergmc.com/VehicleDetails/933483384
Old 06-24-2008, 12:27 AM   #9
dan42

If it's a Z71, how come it's got those rims on it? It should have aluminum wheels, I think - those are the rims that come on the Silverados.
Old 06-24-2008, 06:47 AM   #10
wasteaway

good point. I wouldn't have caught that. Going back in a couple days to decide if I want it. Is the options list consistant with a z71 or did someone just slap on stickers? Do these trucks have a SPID in the glovebox like the old ones?

Thanks for your help guys
Old 06-24-2008, 08:21 AM   #11
Joe67
67 is sold

Good trucks.

4.8l motor is fine, if you plan to tow anything with any frequency, at least get the 5.3l, it's also a little better for resale, although the current market is in the tank.

The RPO decal should be in the glovebox. Don't put too much time into the Z71 package, it is just the usual, skid plate, upgraded shocks and decals

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan42 View Post
If it's a Z71, how come it's got those rims on it? It should have aluminum wheels, I think - those are the rims that come on the Silverados.
You could get the Z71 package with base wheels.

gr8lakes - My ebay auctions

Click here to order forum apparel :: Click here to become a subscribing member
Joe67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 01:27 PM   #12
wasteaway

Update;
This particular truck is sold. It was super clean and I think for the price (10k) a good deal. I'm patient and I don't have $$$ in hand from the Toyota buyback yet so no rush. My main concern was with the 4.8 and you guys shed some light for me there and it could be useful yet. Thanks.

Its kinda nice to be in the market, at the right time, and in no hurry to jump on something I might regret. I think I'll enjoy the shopping.
Old 06-24-2008, 01:38 PM   #13
Joe67
67 is sold

It is certainly a buyers market for a truck like this now, good luck with the search

Old 06-24-2008, 06:32 PM   #14
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

The Z71 did not include the aluminum wheels (at least for the 99-02 years). They were an option that I think the majority were set up with.. I have seen too many equipped just as the one you pictured.

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 09:19 PM   #15
DirtyLarry
Windy Corner of a Dirty Street

The 1999-2006 GM trucks are the last of the good ones although the 2003-2006 Chevrolets had a butt ugly schnoz (I see you didn't '03-'06 in your want list ). After 2006 model year the GM truck body style and body durability/quality absolutely suck.

As Joe67, stated the 4.8L and 5.3L are both great engines. The GMT800 trucks are all around pretty tight. About the only thing I can say is 2002 was a bad year for the 4L60E and 2004 was a bad year for instrument clusters as there was a higher than norm frequency of stepper motor failures with the speedometer. Pretty much all years of 4.8L and 5.3L engine will need water pump gaskets around 100,000 miles. Cheap and easy do it yourself repair.

All 1999- current GM trucks with the NP8 Autocrap transfercase are not reliable and will be the first thing that fails. Chances are you the truck will need a control head, TCCM or encoder motor any minute. The clutches in the transfercase often need attention if the previous owner did not service the transfercase as recommended. Finding a manual shift 4wd in that body style is very hard to come by but they are out there…find one! .
DirtyLarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 07:19 AM   #16
Joe67
67 is sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyLarry View Post
The 1999-2006 GM trucks are the last of the good ones although the 2003-2006 Chevrolets had a butt ugly schnoz (I see you didn't '03-'06 in your want list ). After 2006 model year the GM truck body style and body durability/quality absolutely suck.

As Joe67, stated the 4.8L and 5.3L are both great engines. The GMT800 trucks are all around pretty tight. About the only thing I can say is 2002 was a bad year for the 4L60E and 2004 was a bad year for instrument clusters as there was a higher than norm frequency of stepper motor failures with the speedometer. Pretty much all years of 4.8L and 5.3L engine will need water pump gaskets around 100,000 miles. Cheap and easy do it yourself repair.

All 1999- current GM trucks with the NP8 Autocrap transfercase are not reliable and will be the first thing that fails. Chances are you the truck will need a control head, TCCM or encoder motor any minute. The clutches in the transfercase often need attention if the previous owner did not service the transfercase as recommended. Finding a manual shift 4wd in that body style is very hard to come by but they are out there…find one! .
First I've heard anything about water pump gaskets & Transfer case issues.

I've got 185K+ on my 2000 5.3l GMC and the only common issues I've heard of are the ABS sensors & Fuel sending units going out very pre-maturely on 1999-2003 models and the 4l60 style transmissions need servicing between 130K-160K usually. Everything else has been perfect

Old 06-27-2008, 01:19 AM   #17
DirtyLarry
Windy Corner of a Dirty Street

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe67 View Post
First I've heard anything about water pump gaskets & Transfer case issues.

I've got 185K+ on my 2000 5.3l GMC and the only common issues I've heard of are the ABS sensors & Fuel sending units going out very pre-maturely on 1999-2003 models and the 4l60 style transmissions need servicing between 130K-160K usually. Everything else has been perfect
You have to be kidding me?

I am surprised to hear that Joe. If you are basing your experience from one vehicle or even a couple trucks that buddies own, I could see how you might come to that conclusion. But, when you sort an Excel file of warranty data for thousands of these trucks/powertrains a person happens to notice trends …that is all I am saying (the odds are not in your favor).
I personally have changed 3 different GMT800 waterpump gaskets on friend’s trucks at my house alone not including what I am used to seeing happen on paper. Most people misdiagnose the coolant leak as a $200 waterpump when in fact $8 gaskets fix the leak.

The NP8 Autotrac transfer case issues are not a big surprise to anybody and quite publically known. The control head in the dash is a known problem as well as the shift encoder motor mounted on the transfercase, especially for the people that live in road salt throwing states where road salt intrusion gets into the encoder motor and freezes it up and prevents it from shifting. If yours hasn’t had problems yet just wait until the coldest, ugliest day of the winter when you need 4wd the most and you can’t count on those nice convenient buttons on the dash to work…. then you will wish for a mechanical shifted transfercase and probably the old fashion manual locking hubs as well.
DirtyLarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 07:21 AM   #18
Joe67
67 is sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyLarry View Post
You have to be kidding me?

I am surprised to hear that Joe. If you are basing your experience from one vehicle or even a couple trucks that buddies own, I could see how you might come to that conclusion. But, when you sort an Excel file of warranty data for thousands of these trucks/powertrains a person happens to notice trends …that is all I am saying (the odds are not in your favor).
I personally have changed 3 different GMT800 waterpump gaskets on friend’s trucks at my house alone not including what I am used to seeing happen on paper. Most people misdiagnose the coolant leak as a $200 waterpump when in fact $8 gaskets fix the leak.

The NP8 Autotrac transfer case issues are not a big surprise to anybody and quite publically known. The control head in the dash is a known problem as well as the shift encoder motor mounted on the transfercase, especially for the people that live in road salt throwing states where road salt intrusion gets into the encoder motor and freezes it up and prevents it from shifting. If yours hasn’t had problems yet just wait until the coldest, ugliest day of the winter when you need 4wd the most and you can’t count on those nice convenient buttons on the dash to work…. then you will wish for a mechanical shifted transfercase and probably the old fashion manual locking hubs as well.
I'm not doubting your experience, I've been a moderator on Fullsizechevy.com for 7 years and have never heard about those two issues being that common

Are these occuring between certain mileage ranges or is it all over the charts?

My truck has been through 6 michigan winters full of salt and snow and I have yet to have a transfer case issue nor have heard of it being that common on my end. If you are just referring to the push putton switch going out in the dash, that I have heard of and is a $30.00 five minute fix.

Again, not saying you haven't experienced/seen a few of these yourself, but I haven't read where it is has seemed that common

Old 06-27-2008, 08:57 AM   #19
wasteaway

Now THIS is what I'm talkin' about! All this chatter about "I know of this problem....... "they all seem to be fine......... "watch out for........." This is the kind of info that makes for a better educated buyer (me) and ultimately a happier one.

I must say that I'm a little disappointed in the oportunities out here. If I were in the market for a 3/4 ton and/or an extra cab, I'd be buried in choices. I'm tending towards an older 4x4 "beater" for now and future heavy work around the yard and on the road with a snowplow. Then I can sit back and really hold out for what I want. And at that time (with a decent, reliable, but rough gas guzzler 4x4) I can widen my "want" list to a 4x2.

Thanks to all the replies and keep the posts comming if ya got more info. Like I said, these "new" trucks are new to me.
Old 07-08-2008, 09:39 PM   #20
old Chevy guy

You said something about a toyota buyback and a rusty frame is that why I saw about 20 toyotas in a stack at metals recycaling a few weeks ago?
old Chevy guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 10:51 PM   #21
wasteaway

Quote:
Originally Posted by old Chevy guy View Post
You said something about a toyota buyback and a rusty frame is that why I saw about 20 toyotas in a stack at metals recycaling a few weeks ago?

I don't know where they end up but Toyota is certainly going to recyle or otherwise destroy them. Its Tacomas only, '95 to 2000. There were 32 at the dealership waiting to be terminated when I went with mine.
Old 07-08-2008, 11:13 PM   #22
old Chevy guy

Its good to see someone else from R.I. on this site I havent seen to many. I wrote a reply to a guy from coventry once but he was the only one Ive seen though ,I usually hang in the 67-72 truck area.I guess there isint to many good trucks like that left in this area.
Old 07-09-2008, 07:00 AM   #23
wasteaway

Got my eye on a '69 in Coventry. Its not 4 sale and I never catch the guy home, but I'd like to see if he wants to sell. Of course, with the '71 in the garage that I need to restore and no time for anything, I need another truck like a hole in the head.
Old 07-09-2008, 05:57 PM   #24
old Chevy guy

I hear that, I cant help looking at everthing I come by too.Ive got about 8 projects going on here now.

Last edited by old Chevy guy; 07-09-2008 at 05:57 PM.
Old 07-09-2008, 10:52 PM   #25
cjracing15

Sorry to Hijack this thread but I would like to know this before I go and look at this truck Friday. Thanks.
1977 SWB stepside
1949 Chevy truck
cjracing15 is offline   Reply With Quote