The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1988 - 1998 GMT400 Chevy & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-27-2018, 05:28 PM   #1
crsgmc

Clutch Fluid

I have looked around a bit and have not found any answers. I have a 1996 GMC K1500 five speed manual transmission. The clutch fluid is really bad, like it is the original fluid when the truck was built. The transmission is a Getrag, probably the one the truck came with. It has an internal slave. My question is how do I drain / replace the fluid. Gravity bleed would probably work fine. There are two things sticking out of the slave with access holes in the transmission. Is one of those to drain the fluid, and if so which one? I just finished replacing the engine, clutch, and flywheel and I should have done it then. I didn't know it was this bad until the engine was in. If I had to do it again I would have also replaced the internal slave as well. Thanks for any assistance you can provide.
crsgmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 05:50 PM   #2
95 S_Trucker

Re: Clutch Fluid

You have a NV3500 transmission.

Did you bleed the clutch when you replaced it? Your clutch kit should have came with a new hydraulic release bearing(slave cylinder).

They can be a real pain to bleed. You’d have to bleed it to change all of the fluid.
95 S_Trucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 11:42 PM   #3
Mr_Rich

Re: Clutch Fluid

I would strongly recommend installing a remote bleeder from Speedway Motors or another vendor. The stock configuration is so difficult to bleed especially in a car like my '98 Firebird. When I replaced the engine and trans I installed a 3' remote bleeder in that car. Made a big difference in ease of maintenance.
Gravity bleed is a bad idea. It will drain out so quickly all you'll have is air in the system and then it's really a PITA.
1997 K2500 Chev. EC 7.4L/ 4L80E
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 HD R/C
Mr_Rich is offline   Reply With Quote