The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-09-2013, 01:43 PM   #1
elkninja

72 Pickup Fuel Gauge Struggle

Howdy, I am new to this forum. I am restoring a 72 GMC 1/2 ton 4X4 long bed. Recently replaced the speedo, factory tac, oil pressure, and fuel gauge. The reason I didn't replace the entire cluster at once is that the temp and elec gauges looked to be newer than the others. All are fine except the fuel gauge. The old gauge was working fine. When I installed the new gauge (from Counterpart Automotive), it pegs out way past full and stays there, with about 3/4 of a tank of fuel in the factory behind-the-seat tank. When I ground the old gauge with the sending unit wire, it goes to empty. When I do the same thing with the new gauge installed, it goes to about 1/4 tank. I ordered another identical gauge, thinking I was shipped a faulty one originally, and the same thing is going on.
Please help if you've been here before.
elkninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 08:02 AM   #2
elkninja

Re: 72 Pickup Fuel Gauge Struggle

Ole Sarge had the aftermarket saddlebag fuel tanks. I took em out, removed the toggle switch that the old man used to swap between tanks for the gauge, pulled/inspected the sending unit. Gauge working perfectly now- must have been too much resistance in the toggle switch?
elkninja is offline   Reply With Quote