The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-14-2010, 10:41 PM   #26
lnwlfbsktbll

Re: Project 6.0 (my '87)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpjr0 View Post
I 2nd the cheater pipe... do it do it do it
I picked up a nice pipe from my dad's this afternoon. I'll give it a shot in a day or 2. I'm trying to secure a second project this week from my brother. He decided he wants to move to Alaska so I'm taking his '70 cj5 off his hands. If the pipe don't work looks like I'm investing in a good torch, everybody needs one right?

Build thread located at http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...5708&posted=1#
lnwlfbsktbll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 10:47 PM   #27
lnwlfbsktbll

Ok so I figured I'd post an update with some progress and pictures. The multicolored 85 is my parts truck and thats my 12 bolt that needs a little overhauling. There isn't much that's still good on the truck except the parts I need. I got the bed on it and on my truck unbolted and ready to take the 2 apart and between them I'll have one good bed. Next up is the rest of the cab bolts and some frame prepping. What motor mounts is everybody using? I'd like to use stock manifolds and if possible use the stock ac compressor location. S&P's is just too expensive and I found another kit I liked (here) but again too expensive. I'm open to hear any suggestions cause I'm trying to keep this as cheap as I can.
Attached Images

Old 04-04-2010, 02:21 AM   #28
lnwlfbsktbll

I got the bed taken off and had to cut some massive holes in the cab floor to get to the nuts on the cab bolts. After pulling with a 2' breakover bar on the bolts, the cage holding each nut in place gave way and lets the nut slip. The only way I could get it to stop spinning was to cut a hole in the floor and wedge the nuts with whatever would fit in the gap. Finally got 2 bolts out and gave up on the other 2 once it got dark and figured I'd let them soak over night with some penetrating oil. Hope everybody has a Happy Easter.
Attached Images

Old 04-04-2010, 10:04 AM   #29
STOCKISH
Formerly- 1972SuperCheyenne

At least with the holes cut the way you did it they will be easy to close up and weld back shut. Good progress man. Cant wait to see the LS in there.

My Build Thread:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=799218

A good crossthread is better than Loctite any day.

Life is not about what you have, but who you have to share it with.
STOCKISH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 01:46 PM   #30
lnwlfbsktbll

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1972SuperCheyenne View Post
At least with the holes cut the way you did it they will be easy to close up and weld back shut. Good progress man. Cant wait to see the LS in there.
That's what I had hoped for when my buddy and i started cutting. I figure any uneven spots will be hidden by dynamat, padding and carpet. Once the cab comes off the frame gets stripped and painted. Then comes time to get a transmission and mount it and the motor.

Last edited by lnwlfbsktbll; 04-04-2010 at 01:46 PM.
Old 04-04-2010, 02:30 PM   #31
Evil Trailblazer SS
Big Gulps Huh? Whelp...

One question, what ECM/TCM combo are you using to control the 6L80 with the LY6? And what was the donor vehicle for the LY6?
Old 04-04-2010, 03:21 PM   #32
lnwlfbsktbll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Trailblazer SS View Post
One question, what ECM/TCM combo are you using to control the 6L80 with the LY6? And what was the donor vehicle for the LY6?
The motor is from a 2007 2500hd chevy truck. My plan was to use both factory controllers because they were offered as a combo from the factory. The 6l80 has an internal tcm. If I'm wrong on that please help me becuase I'd rather not buy a $1500 transmission a can't use.

Old 04-04-2010, 04:07 PM   #33
buckshot305

Quote:
Originally Posted by lnwlfbsktbll View Post
The motor is from a 2007 2500hd chevy truck. My plan was to use both factory controllers because they were offered as a combo from the factory. The 6l80 has an internal tcm. If I'm wrong on that please help me becuase I'd rather not buy a $1500 transmission a can't use.
Any way to get the 6L90 that came behind that LY6 from the donor truck? From the research I've done, the 6L80 and 90 are basically the same trans, with the 90 having a stronger output shaft. If the motor you have came out of a 07 2500HD it probably had a 90 too. I believe all you would need is the original wiring harness and ecu, which would control both the engine and trans. I'm not positive on that, maybe someone will confirm it for you. I'm doing the same swap, and have my eye on a LY6/6L90 complete takeout. The only thing holding me back on it is how to shift it. Do you have any ideas on what you're going to do about the shifter?
buckshot305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 06:44 PM   #34
Evil Trailblazer SS
Big Gulps Huh? Whelp...

Quote:
The ECM that came with your LY6 should be an E67 and although the 6L80 has the internal TCM, your ECM has tables that it uses to "link" into the TCM for various controls.
Old 04-04-2010, 07:15 PM   #35
lnwlfbsktbll

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckshot305 View Post
Any way to get the 6L90 that came behind that LY6 from the donor truck? From the research I've done, the 6L80 and 90 are basically the same trans, with the 90 having a stronger output shaft. If the motor you have came out of a 07 2500HD it probably had a 90 too. I believe all you would need is the original wiring harness and ecu, which would control both the engine and trans. I'm not positive on that, maybe someone will confirm it for you. I'm doing the same swap, and have my eye on a LY6/6L90 complete takeout. The only thing holding me back on it is how to shift it. Do you have any ideas on what you're going to do about the shifter?
Everything you said is on par with what I've seen and the only reason i was leaning towards the 6l80 over the 90 was price and availability but both seem to be becoming more reasonable. I bought the motor almost a year ago so getting the donor's tranny is probably out of the question. I also need to get a dbw pedal that will work with my motor because it didn't come with one from the recycler. Shifting is one thing i have not worked out yet, I've considered pulling a column from a vehicle with paddle shifters but I don't know how to work that in. I remember hearing a while back that the 6l80/90 use a 4 position shifter like what a 700r4 would have and the computer shifts the overdrives if needed, but I don't know how true that is.

Old 04-04-2010, 07:23 PM   #36
buckshot305

Quote:
Everything you said is on par with what I've seen and the only reason i was leaning towards the 6l80 over the 90 was price and availability but both seem to be becoming more reasonable. I bought the motor almost a year ago so getting the donor's tranny is probably out of the question. I also need to get a dbw pedal that will work with my motor because it didn't come with one from the recycler. Shifting is one thing i have not worked out yet, I've considered pulling a column from a vehicle with paddle shifters but I don't know how to work that in. I remember hearing a while back that the 6l80/90 use a 4 position shifter like what a 700r4 would have and the computer shifts the overdrives if needed, but I don't know how true that is.
That was kind of what I had in mind too. I was thinking about how to fab some paddle shifters and integrate them into the steering column, behind an aftermarket steering wheel. I can't wait to see what you come up with.
buckshot305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 07:56 PM   #37
Evil Trailblazer SS
Big Gulps Huh? Whelp...

You don't have to do anything with paddle shifters, just so you know! You can run any B&M style Ratchet Shifter and keep the thing in Drive and always let it shift itself. You would only need the paddles if you want to activate the Manual mode.

But you should have no problem controlling the trans integrating the ZF TCM with the E67 ECM. The E67 has all the OS provisions you need!
Old 04-04-2010, 07:58 PM   #38
lnwlfbsktbll

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckshot305 View Post
That was kind of what I had in mind too. I was thinking about how to fab some paddle shifters and integrate them into the steering column, behind an aftermarket steering wheel. I can't wait to see what you come up with.
I would honestly rather not have paddle shifters simply to make it easier to drive. I'm hoping I can just hook it up to the column shifter and go from there but I guess I'll figure that out as it come up because I'm going to do the 6l80 for the incredible gear ratios it offers.

Old 04-04-2010, 10:41 PM   #39
joe231

nice work man!
what gas tank are you planning on running?
Old 04-06-2010, 08:16 AM   #40
lnwlfbsktbll

Quote:
You don't have to do anything with paddle shifters, just so you know! You can run any B&M style Ratchet Shifter and keep the thing in Drive and always let it shift itself. You would only need the paddles if you want to activate the Manual mode.

But you should have no problem controlling the trans integrating the ZF TCM with the E67 ECM. The E67 has all the OS provisions you need!
Thanks for the info Evil. I was hoping it would be plug and play. Any idea if the column shifter will work? I like the cleaner install it offers compared to a floor shifter

Old 04-06-2010, 08:26 AM   #41
lnwlfbsktbll

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe231 View Post
nice work man!
what gas tank are you planning on running?
My plan is to get a stock tank for an 87 truck from lmc to avoid a contaminated used one, a matching sending unit and a walbro 255 in tank pump unless somebody can point me to a simpler set up. I would like the extra capacity of a blazer tank but I will need that space for a hidden hitch.

Old 04-06-2010, 08:45 AM   #42
menace121978

if your using an '87 tank and sending unit why not use the a/c delco ep 381 fuel pump? not sure if its cheaper or not but i know its plug and play.

1978 Silverado (2wd, 1/2 ton, short bed)complete nut & bolt frame off restomod LQ9/4L80E
MY LS SWAP/FRAME OFF BUILD BOOK

2006 TBSS way too much to list
menace121978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 08:50 AM   #43
mcbassin
Still Learning

Glad to see you figured out a way to get the bolt out of the frame.
mcbassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 11:57 AM   #44
lnwlfbsktbll

Quote:
Originally Posted by menace121978 View Post
if your using an '87 tank and sending unit why not use the a/c delco ep 381 fuel pump? not sure if its cheaper or not but i know its plug and play.
From what I understand about the walbro unit it is designed as a direct replacement upgrade pump for most vehicles with diffferent installation kits so it should be more pump than I actually need so I will check on that ac delco part. I also heard I need to upgrads the lines on the sending unit to handle the pressure. Anybody know if thats true? Thanks for all the replies, all the info is great.

Old 04-14-2010, 06:32 PM   #45
lnwlfbsktbll

Anybody have any experience with this welder? I'm thinking it's about time I invest in a little one and just want to see what you guys recommend.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/LCN-K2185-1

Old 04-15-2010, 10:25 AM   #46
Evil Trailblazer SS
Big Gulps Huh? Whelp...

Quote:
From what I understand about the walbro unit it is designed as a direct replacement upgrade pump for most vehicles with diffferent installation kits so it should be more pump than I actually need so I will check on that ac delco part. I also heard I need to upgrads the lines on the sending unit to handle the pressure. Anybody know if thats true? Thanks for all the replies, all the info is great.
Walbro makes pretty much all high pressure fuel pumps for GM as well as many other car makers. The Litres Per Hour (LPH) rating is what you need to watch out for. As you raise fuel pressure at your injectors, your Injector Flow Rates change. So you have to tune accordingly! If you throw a higher pressure/volume pump, you shorten the time (in milliseconds) the injector needs to stay open to spray the proper amount of fuel to make the 14.68:1 AFR. The problem is, when you increase pressure and DON'T scale your injector tables in the tune, your ECM will still tell the injectors to stay open for the longer time (based on old fuel pump) and it will fatten up your AFR's! So make sure you plan accordingly!

Quote:
Anybody have any experience with this welder? I'm thinking it's about time I invest in a little one and just want to see what you guys recommend.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/LCN-K2185-1
A friend of mine has that welder...It works great for doing exhaust systems and light work of the like!

Last edited by Evil Trailblazer SS; 04-15-2010 at 10:26 AM.
Evil Trailblazer SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 12:23 PM   #47
lnwlfbsktbll

Quote:
Walbro makes pretty much all high pressure fuel pumps for GM as well as many other car makers. The Litres Per Hour (LPH) rating is what you need to watch out for. As you raise fuel pressure at your injectors, your Injector Flow Rates change. So you have to tune accordingly!............

A friend of mine has that welder...It works great for doing exhaust systems and light work of the like!
Thanks for the info Evil looks like Ill be using an ac delco pump for a simpler install, and all I will be using that welder for would be sheet metal and light steel so I guess Im getting a welder.

Old 04-15-2010, 07:25 PM   #48
fpjr0

good to see you have the project going
Old 04-15-2010, 11:24 PM   #49
Evil Trailblazer SS
Big Gulps Huh? Whelp...

The LY6 engine used a 190lph fuel pump, so this pump mounted in your bucket will be the best and cheapest option...

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/VPN-GCA710-2/

should slide right in an be done! Make sure you use nice hose clamps, no cheap crappy ones since fuel line pressure will be 48-52psi on the one way fuel system!

You also need to consider what you are going to do for a fuel pressure regulator...the newer fuel systems that are one way systems use a regulator mounted in the tank after the fuel pump! Have you thought of this yet?
Old 04-16-2010, 12:13 PM   #50
Jhogan830

beautiful 6.0 man! im still rollin the 350 =/ bout to make it a stroker !