The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 99-06 GMT800 Chevy and GMC Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-24-2016, 11:03 AM   #1
Johnie

99-06 Purchasing Suburban things to look for

My 30 year old 4runner is about to lay down on me, and the family has gotten bigger. Time to purchase something a bit larger and newer, and I think a 10th generation '99-'06 4x4 suburban will do it. This is way out of my wheelhouse so I've been sifting through the forum to educate myself.

Here is what I've heard of so far:
Wheel hubs
Stepper motors
Fuel system problems due to filter and pump in the tank (PIA to service)
Computer related issues I'd lump together as tune up maintenance stuff

What else would be a common problems to watch out for? Thanks!
Old 01-28-2016, 09:55 PM   #2
clinebarger

Re: 99-06 Purchasing Suburban things to look for

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnie View Post
My 30 year old 4runner is about to lay down on me, and the family has gotten bigger. Time to purchase something a bit larger and newer, and I think a 10th generation '99-'06 4x4 suburban will do it. This is way out of my wheelhouse so I've been sifting through the forum to educate myself.

Here is what I've heard of so far:
Wheel hubs
Stepper motors
Fuel system problems due to filter and pump in the tank (PIA to service)
Computer related issues I'd lump together as tune up maintenance stuff

What else would be a common problems to watch out for? Thanks!
Front Wheel Hubs...Yep those wear out.

Cluster Stepper Motors are a common issue, '06 models seem less effected....My '06 has the factory Cluster still.

Fuel system problems....'99-'03 have fuel pump longevity issues....The Filter is on the Frame on these models, '05-'06 with the filter in the tank are a lot more reliable.

Computer issues? The PCM on these trucks is probably the most reliable PCM ever manufactured!

Water intrusion into the Knock Sensor cavities.

A/C compressor failures, "Random"

Transfer Case Pump Rub....Look it up, Install a Pump Rub kit before it rubs a hole in the Magnesium case half, Also make sure a hole is not already there & "JB Weld" patches.

Parking brake shoes.

Blend door motors.

Intermediate Steering Shaft rattles.
clinebarger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 10:16 PM   #3
slowcpe

I'm a happy owner of a 2000 NBS Tahoe. 263,000 and counting. Here are the issues I've had:

A/C went out at 190,000

Replaced blend door and fan control (both easy and cheap fixes)

Both wheel hubs (drivers at about 200,000 and passenger at 250,000)

Heater Core around 210,000 (biggest PITA I've dealt with)

Fuel pump and filter around 160k and 230k

Trans at 250k

My rockers and the passenger wheel well (inside the door) is starting to rust pretty bad. Looking to fix this sometime this year.

This vehicle has far exceeded my expectations and still drive it almost daily. I'll be doing new springs, shocks, balljoints, etc in the next month or two.
1967/71 Blue SWB C10..SOLD
1977 SWB K10..my grandpa's.....never should have sold
slowcpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 12:59 AM   #4
Johnie

Thanks for the feedback!

Good info on the transfer case clinebarger. I hadn't heard of that in my searches. Looks like a fix-it kit is available for less than $100?

Computer issues - when I did a search, a lot of the results had to do with trouble codes. That's what I meant but didn't say very well.

slowcpe - It sounds like most of the big stuff you had to do was after 200,000. That's good to hear!
Old 01-29-2016, 01:30 AM   #5
clinebarger

Merchant Automotive is who I use, I recommend buying their magnetic drain plug also.

Use only high quality synthetic Dexron III ATF, Allison TES-295 spec is a very robust ATF.
Mobil Delvac 1 ATF & Castrol Transynd are available at big truck parts supplier & Allison dealers....Don't pay more then $40 for a gallon
Old 03-06-2016, 08:02 AM   #6
The Ohioian

Hard lines take a beating in Ohio I think its the pre-storm road treatment. I lost my trans cooler lines at 110000 from rust, lucky to catch it. When my wife saw the brake lines as I was replacing them she flipped.
The Ohioian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 10:08 AM   #7
redneckwheelman2

my dad has 2 a 2000 half ton owned since brand new and a 2001 2500 for about 2 years.
the 2000 is pushing 270000 miles
things that have been replaced is minimal.
front hubs back in like 06 do to the abs sensors
t case encoder motor. got stuck in 4wd 70 miles from home in like 08
1 fuel pump around the 120000 mile mark then has done them every few years as preventitive.
1 water pump 2 winters back.
2 or 3 sets of rear brakes, rotors go to crap every few years.
one front u joint went dry too.
the ocational alternator and battery too.
the whole front end is still completed stock nothing replaced other then hubs.
still running on the stock red coolant from the factory
trany and case are still stock,
engine started to get the blue puff of smoke about last year doesnt use anymore oil tho.

one other common problem on the 2000-2002s atleast is the air draft on the passengers feet. gets really annoying when your on a 5 hour trip when its -20 out. air leaks threw a piece of foam in the cowl duct and dumps right into the passengers footwell. if it hasnt been fixed yet its probably an hour job.
there is a tsb out on it i dont have a link to it tho. couple videos of it getting fixed on youtube too
redneckwheelman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 11:44 AM   #8
Johnie

Fellas I can't thank you enough for the good feedback. Yesterday I bought a 2004 Z71 Suburban. I'm happy with the deal, and it is in ok shape for the miles and salt treatments.

It will get a full service and hard going over this weekend, careful to check for the things noted above. There are some rust worms to deal with - mostly on the color matched bumpers. GM must have left the back of the bumpers bare steel. It also needs shocks and a e-brake cable. The fuel pump was replaced a few months ago along with new tank straps and hardware (rust I'm sure).

The trans and transfer case don't appear to have ever been out. I got online to order a rub kit for the transfer case just now. There is a noise from the wheel area - but the truck has fairly aggressive tires so I hope that is what I'm hearing and not wheel hubs.
Old 03-06-2016, 05:38 PM   #9
Fly By Night

How long do these transmissions tend to last? I heard they tend to make to around 200k

How much does it cost to replace all of the gauges to replace the stepper motors?
Fly By Night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 07:46 PM   #10
clinebarger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly By Night View Post
How long do these transmissions tend to last? I heard they tend to make to around 200k

How much does it cost to replace all of the gauges to replace the stepper motors?
The '03 & up 4L60E tend to last at least 200K, Before that about 150K.

Dorman Clusters run about $150.
Old 03-06-2016, 08:16 PM   #11
redneckwheelman2

270k on the 2000. original trans yet, gets driven 500+ miles a week for the last 6 years.
really depends on how you drive it i think
redneckwheelman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 09:25 AM   #12
MalibuSSwagon

When I post a truck for partout I get 20 calls for the rear bumper...they just rot out chrome or painted steel. Good news is if you get on ebay new ones are around 200 shipped with all new plastic pieces.

Brake lines are so common to go bad that GM released a service kit with all pre-bent coated lines after pressure from the NHTSA over the issue. We installed one of these kits on my Dad's Silverado, all the original OEM lines were toast, and that truck only had 100k miles.
MalibuSSwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 12:59 AM   #13
clinebarger

Quote:
Originally Posted by redneckwheelman2 View Post
270k on the 2000. original trans yet, gets driven 500+ miles a week for the last 6 years.
really depends on how you drive it i think
I have a customer with a 1996 Camaro 3.8L/4L60E...The trans made it a little over 400,000 when the rear Stator Bushing gave out completely. I have seen several 4L60E's go a long time & several barely make it out of warranty.

Your correct...Driving style, Loading, & Maintenance has a lot to do with....We are talking USED vehicles here.
Old 03-16-2016, 08:53 PM   #14
Johnie

I ordered a new step bumper online, delivered cost was $200 and it came with new brackets, step pads, and lights. It showed up today and was a decent part.

Other things that I have discovered:

The rear part of this fancy sound system (RSE?) whines and it isn't uncommon. I hope some contact cleaner will solve my problems there. Turning it off makes the noise go away.

The steering column has a clunk in it - also not uncommon. The steering is still tight and right but the noise is annoying.

Driver door hinges needed new bushings. Noticed when I bought it, and the kit isn't expensive. That freaking door is heavy though!
Old 03-22-2016, 10:01 PM   #15
Fly By Night

Quote:
Originally Posted by clinebarger View Post
I have a customer with a 1996 Camaro 3.8L/4L60E...The trans made it a little over 400,000 when the rear Stator Bushing gave out completely. I have seen several 4L60E's go a long time & several barely make it out of warranty.

Your correct...Driving style, Loading, & Maintenance has a lot to do with....We are talking USED vehicles here.
400k is insane for a stock tranny.

Do you have any tips to tell if one is on the fritz while on a test drive?
Fly By Night is offline   Reply With Quote