The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-30-2013, 11:14 PM   #1
Steve Cole

Please read.. Is This normal

Posted via Mobile Device
Steve Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 11:52 PM   #2
Steve Cole

Re: Please read.. Is This normal

Posted via Mobile Device

I have aftermarket headers on my truck, (Hedman) the drivers side hangs down 3/4" lower than the passenger side. Actually the drivers side looks right, the passenger side looks too high. I discovered this when I went to install my new Magnaflow exhaust system, ( p/n 16643). The driver side went on no problem but the pass. side wouldn't clear the transmission crossmember. I inspected both headers and neither side looks tweaked or bent. The two pipes that connect to the collectors go into an "X" pipe then continue on to the back. Because the one side doesn't fit, neither side will work because they are connected together by the "X" pipe. Also, my headers are 1" wider than the two pipes that connect to them. So for this to work, my right header needs to be 3/4" lower and the two header pipes need to be 1" closer together or this mandrel bent exhaust needs to be reworked. I'm at a loss as what to next. Is this common for one header to be higher or lower than the other by this much?

Any advise appreciated. Thanks
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-31-2013, 12:05 AM   #3
Lee H

The magna flow system is a cat back system. It does not take into account what manifold or header you using. You will have to modify to meet your needs. It's not uncommon for one header to be slanted different than the other.
Posted via Mobile Device

1965 Corvette roadster, 44K miles, 327/365 SHP, 4 speed, side exhaust, knockoffs, teak, second owner (bought in 1970), Have ALL numbers matching components.

My frame off restoration thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=556703
Lee H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 12:37 AM   #4
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

The SBC cylinder heads are offset... so the drivers side header will be a little more forward than the passenger side header by about an inch.

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 07:59 AM   #5
slow-1

IIRC when I had headers on mine, both sides ended up at the same level and it seems like one collector was a bit longer than the other to compensate for the one head being slightly (one lifter width) forward of the other.

But I remember them being uniform.

Those are my only header experience and it was 30 years ago.
Posted via Mobile Device
Original 350 (3 rebuilds)
700R4 from Bowtie Overdrives

slow-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 08:11 AM   #6
volksworld

take some measurements to verify your engine's sitting level and try another brand of headers...contact magnaflow and see whose they might recomend
Old 07-31-2013, 09:12 AM   #7
cdowns

i would check my motor mounts to see if they are causeing the engine to not sit right
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 09:24 AM   #8
special-K
Special Order

Motor mounts are the first thing that comes to mind. Header manufacturers know that the cylinder heads are offset and make the headers to end evenly. I buy the brand and model I want and wouldn't want Magnaflow telling me what headers to use. I always wondered how anyone could make a bolt-on exhaust system to fit any manifold/header. That's why I still have custom exhaust made. I think the benefits of mandrel bent are never realized in most applications,but if I had to have that I'd pay more and have a custom mandrel bent system done. If you come up with no other solution,you could always have an x-pipe made to work or modify the out of box one.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 09:53 AM   #9
prostreetC-10
My Carbon Footprint

I can tell you on a BBC, the headers NEVER come out sitting the same. Driver's side is always longer and the angles will be different. I just installed temp mufflers on my ride and it's pretty funny to get under there and see how different they hang. It was the exact same way on my Camaro.
prostreetC-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 11:47 AM   #10
mmiddle

Depending on the model of Heddman headers. The high end ones migh be a better fit. But if you bought the cheapies... Then I would be supprised if they lined up well.
Also, the made to fit exhaust system you have is most likey designed to fit their brand of headers and asume that other manufacturers are close enough.

A little tweaking is in order for you.

I would check the motor mounts just to make sure the motor is not leaning
2014 2SS/RS black on black Camaro (Betty)
2006 Pontiac SOLSTICE silver/black (Lula-Bell)
1970 C/10 Short Wide (Peggy)
1964 C/10 Short Step (Hambone)
RIP Jimmy Hamilton Thank you for the trucks
mmiddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 12:16 PM   #11
Steve Cole

I called Hedman and Magnaflow. No luck with either one. Magnaflow said their system may require some cutting,tweaking or welding to work with different headers and that the system was designed to fit the truck not a particular header/manifold setup.

BTW... These headers are not "cheapies" they are the "elite" series, ceramic coated long tube headers. Cost about $600. I Will make this work, just going to be a PITA!
Posted via Mobile Device