The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-21-2015, 01:20 PM   #1
dixiethecustomcamper

headlights won't work

Hey everyone, looking for a little help. my headlights will not turn on when I pull out the light switch. This just happened recently. Prior to this the truck always had finicky lights and sometimes they'd go off if you put the high beams on. This also worked the other way as you'd turn the lights on and they stayed off, but press the high beam switch and they'd come on. having no headlights is dangerous and being unable to drive it past about 8:30pm is disappointing. truck is a 1968 gmc custom camper 3/4 ton. I checked all of my fuses and wiring today, everything seems to be in working order... any ideas? could there be a switch somewhere that's worn out or blown? thanks!
Posted via Mobile Device
dixiethecustomcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 01:29 PM   #2
cdowns

Re: headlights won't work

check the wiring plugs at the dimmer switch // also a new dimmer switch is cheap as heck at the autoparts store
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 02:16 PM   #3
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

x2, Cliff beat me to it. Common problem area.

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Stocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 03:01 PM   #4
alsriv2

Location: Formerly MD and San Diego, now loving life in Arizona

I had a '69 GMC Custom Camper (Longhorn) that had the exact problem you are having with yours. Turns out the dimmer switch was the entire problem. I installed a new one and all the problems with my headlights went away.

That switch near the floor picks up lots of moisture and crap over the years and the contacts get corroded or contaminated.

2012 Ram 3500 Dually Crew Cab 6.7 Cummins
2014 Palomino Columbus 340RK 5th wheel
'69 Chevy C10 396BB
alsriv2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 03:13 PM   #5
leftybass209

I have to agree.... the dimmer switch is often the issue with these old trucks. My case was I would have low beams, but no high beams. Dimmer switch cured the issue. Remember, you're stepping on the button every time you switch from hi's to low's, and many times switching often because of the dull light output in these trucks to begin with. That's a rough life on the switch to be stepped on constantly!

If you really want to make a difference, you can add a headlight relay harness along with a new dimmer switch. it'll give you modern headlight power, and probably stop the need to constantly switch to high beams just to get some useable light, thus lengthening the lifespan of the dimmer switch.
leftybass209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 03:19 PM   #6
Custom/Ten

Mine was the dimmer switch too. Blue is power in, brown is power out to low beams, green is power out to brights, for my 72 anyway. Pop a test light or volt meter on there if you wanna know for sure. I think mine was around 15 bucks.
Custom/Ten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 10:42 AM   #7
Dee72

My headlights haven't been work they just won't turn on at all on 72 c10.I've done some research and read that it might be the dimmer switch,Can somebody help me out on how to find it so I can replace it thanks or if they know what the actual problem might be
Dee72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 11:57 AM   #8
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee72 View Post
My headlights haven't been work they just won't turn on at all on 72 c10.I've done some research and read that it might be the dimmer switch,Can somebody help me out on how to find it so I can replace it thanks or if they know what the actual problem might be
Dimmer switch is on the floor near the parking brake. Since the headlamps don't work at all, I would also check the HL switch on the dash.

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Stocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 07:54 PM   #9
franken

Dimmer switches get dirty contacts when not used. I'd first turn on the lights then cycle the dimmer about 20 times.
franken is offline   Reply With Quote