The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-17-2018, 05:03 PM   #1
darrellyates

History Question

Can anybody tell me, definitively, when metal floors in pickup beds became the standard offering? And, was it different for fleet side and step side models? I believe, based on research, that the last year a wood bed floor was offered was 1987. However, by that time, it was an extra cost item, and only available on certain models, or so I've been told.

Just trying to get my history straightened out. I'm sure somebody on here knows the answer off the top of their head.

Just curious. I'm converting my '68 from metal to wood, which is complete, and I've got the option codes, just wondering when the change occurred for GM.

Thanks in advance for your help!
darrellyates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 06:08 PM   #2
harpo231

Re: History Question

Last wood bed was 87 when last stepper was made....
harpo231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 07:45 PM   #3
ray_mcavoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrellyates View Post
Can anybody tell me, definitively, when metal floors in pickup beds became the standard offering? And, was it different for fleet side and step side models? I believe, based on research, that the last year a wood bed floor was offered was 1987. However, by that time, it was an extra cost item, and only available on certain models, or so I've been told.
Yes, it was different for fleetside vs. stepside.

The stepside beds kept the wood floor as standard equipment all the way to 1987.

The fleetside beds had a steel floor as standard equipment starting in 1967. I believe the RPO E81 wood floor option was available in all 1967 - 1972 fleetsides. And it continued to be available from 1973 - 1980 but only in 8' fleetsides.
ray_mcavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 11:02 PM   #4
darrellyates

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray_mcavoy View Post
Yes, it was different for fleetside vs. stepside.

The stepside beds kept the wood floor as standard equipment all the way to 1987.

The fleetside beds had a steel floor as standard equipment starting in 1967. I believe the RPO E81 wood floor option was available in all 1967 - 1972 fleetsides. And it continued to be available from 1973 - 1980 but only in 8' fleetsides.
Thanks guys! Confirms my research, although I missed the long wheelbase only thru 1980. I appreciate the confirmation!
darrellyates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 12:20 AM   #5
dmjlambert

Did anybody in the history of these trucks buy a new truck with a wood bed because it was pretty or cool? Did they take a truck home from the dealer and work on finishing/shining the bed wood? Or is that just a thing with the modern restoring of old trucks? Can any old-timers give some insight on the average owner's attitude towards the wood bed when the 67-72 truck was new?

My first memory of anybody caring at all about the condition of the bed was in roughly 1978 when (I perceive) people started buying the Silverados with A/C in bigger numbers, lifting them, putting big tires on them, polishing them and driving them around like cars, showing off, and swearing at the mention of helping people move their refrigerators...
dmjlambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 01:17 AM   #6
FirstOwner69

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmjlambert View Post
Did anybody in the history of these trucks buy a new truck with a wood bed because it was pretty or cool? Did they take a truck home from the dealer and work on finishing/shining the bed wood? Or is that just a thing with the modern restoring of old trucks? Can any old-timers give some insight on the average owner's attitude towards the wood bed when the 67-72 truck was new?

My first memory of anybody caring at all about the condition of the bed was in roughly 1978 when (I perceive) people started buying the Silverados with A/C in bigger numbers, lifting them, putting big tires on them, polishing them and driving them around like cars, showing off, and swearing at the mention of helping people move their refrigerators...
I bought my truck with a wood bed in 1969 because that's the way the dealer ordered it. It was a $10.80 option. I usually tried to minimize damage but vividly remember nailing brackets to the floor so I could transport some windows in a vertical position. I'd never consider that now that it's fancy stained and varnished oak. Hell, I don't even walk on it with shoes on now!
FirstOwner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 08:48 AM   #7
72 tigger

What was the advantage/benefit of a wood floor? My dads C20 had one and it started buckling up and cracking after several years. Were there many swb fleetsides with wood?
72 tigger is offline   Reply With Quote