The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 99-06 GMT800 Chevy and GMC Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-17-2006, 01:16 AM   #1
jeefsilverado

Leveling Kits

I am thinking about putting a leveling kit in my 05 Silverado LT with the l33 engine. I think that the truck would look good with the front being a little higher. I was talking with a customer buying some floor paint for his new offroad shop. Briefly talking with him (he has not seen my truck yet) he recommended doing a 3 inch leveling kit in the front and a one inch block lift in the back. He said a lot would depend on what brand leveling kit I wanted to go with to get an accurate idea of the lift to go with. I am not really looking to lift it too much, I would just like the truck to sit level instead of the front being lower. I would love to go taller but I want to be able to fit into my garage.
Basically the truck is stock with 17inch alloys. The only options for changing the tires would be going with a taller tires (I don't know what size they are offhand but they were just a little bit taller than my old s10 zr2 with 31s on it), going with 20 inch rims in a tires close to stock height or a little taller, or leaving the stock tires on it. Hypotheical if the front is lifted 3 inchs and the rear one inch will the stock tires look to small? I would like to retain the decent gas milage I get out of it 15-16 around town and 20-22 on the highway.
For a near stock ride how many inches would you recommend lifting the front? I would prefer not to have the problems of premature wear on the suspension, cv's and tires. What brands are out there for leveling kits and which ones have better reputations? The truck is still under warranty. I know a lot depends on the service manager and what they decide voides the warranty. I have heard for the leveling kits a lot of them will not void the warranty is this true?
Sorry if I sound like a noob but other than modifying the exhaust I have not done any mods to any of the newer trucks I have owned not wanting to void the warranty or break things on a new truck.
jeefsilverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 10:38 AM   #2
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

Re: Leveling Kits

The only way to be sure the warranty will not be voided is to ask the dealer. My guess would be that any non-stock modification would void any front suspension warranty. I think the alloy rims on a chevy are 16", the new ones may be 17???

You will lose fuel mileage with any lift. The air dam cuts the wind from under the truck, when you raise the truck there will be more "disturbance" and more things for the wind to "drag" on. Might not be much of a loss, but there will be some.

If you use bigger than stock tires your speedometer will be off. The dealer will have to reprogram the computer in your truck for the new tire size you are using. The eninges computer will also be "tuned" to the new tire size so it will perfrom properly, (if you use a really close to stock tire size (IE same overall height) you should be fine) but if you go several inches larger you may want to look into doing this.)

If you plan on towing anything you don't want a level truck. The rear end will be sagging and the front will be tilted up if the vehicle is level.

With any suspension lift you want to make sure the pinion angles on the front and rear driveshafts will be the same.

Not trying to discourage you, just passing on info I've learned over the past couple of years.

This board is kinda "dead" when it comes to new truck info. You can get a ton of great info on GM-trucks.com
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 01:48 AM   #3
jeefsilverado

Re: Leveling Kits

Thanks, I'll give that site a try. I won't be towing too much if at all. I think that most 2005s have 17s on them to clear the larger front rotors that are used since they now come with rear drum brakes. Atleast this is what the dealer told me.
jeefsilverado is offline   Reply With Quote