The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-22-2020, 09:27 PM   #1
Scott2.0

1960 C10 - what's it worth (pics!)

Hi all,

Strongly considering a run at this truck. No documentation of the engine or trans swap. Little known history. VERY clean. Fires right up and sounds great. New interior, new glass. Near perfect except for a small chip near the windshield and the bed leans slightly to the right (may be a suspension bushing or simply a low tire).

- 350ci v8
- 700R4 overdrive transmission
- 3.55 rear
- 20" mob steel wheels
- New interior
- Retro radio
- Lokar shifter
- Wood bed
- Newly painted in 2019
- Vintage AC
- Power brakes
- Power Steering
- Tilt Column
- Flowmaster Exhaust

Looks like it'd be a very fun cruiser but I'm a little concerned about the lack of documentation for a future sale. What do y'all think? Thanks for any feedback or anything that catches the eye below.

It's no longer at Streetside, but for anyone wanting to hear it and you can see the bed lean as it pulls away:

Last edited by Scott2.0; 09-22-2020 at 09:37 PM.
Scott2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 10:25 PM   #2
The Rocknrod

Re: 1960 C10 - what's it worth (pics!)

Tank looks square with the bed in back. Don't notice any lean. Looks clean enough. However anyone can paint over rust etc. Can you get it inspected by a local independent vehicle inspector? Never listen to the "Impending doom" close, where they tell you it might be sold at any moment.
The Rocknrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 10:32 PM   #3
Scott2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rocknrod View Post
Tank looks square with the bed in back. Don't notice any lean. Looks clean enough. However anyone can paint over rust etc. Can you get it inspected by a local independent vehicle inspector? Never listen to the "Impending doom" close, where they tell you it might be sold at any moment.
Thanks. You can sort of see it in this pic, although I didn’t do the best job. I don’t think rust is much of a concern. It’s an AZ truck and we’re lucky to see moisture! $34k is the number. I’d be more comfortable at $30k but it’s a no-go.

Old 09-23-2020, 07:40 AM   #4
The Rocknrod

Okay I see it now in this pic, maybe just weak spring on the p-side? Who knows unless it gets inspected.
The Rocknrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 08:25 AM   #5
nsb29

Looks like Gas Monkey Garage parking lot I’d check out the tires for wear lol I also noticed the headlight wiring does it look like it belongs on $30,000 truck to me that’s a lot of money
Old 09-23-2020, 09:37 AM   #6
AcampoDave

34k is a lot of money but it's all relative to ones own income and age bracket. As for me...no friggin way would I fork over that much of my hard earned money for something like that unless it was being done from an investment standpoint. Trouble is at the price they're wanting there really isn't much roorm for any near term appreciation.
AcampoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 11:07 AM   #7
Paul Y

I think it is a visually appealing truck. There appears to be a lot of money in parts and labour but think I am struggling with the valuation with that being said.

Is it possible to get it up on a ramp to have look underneath? If it is as tidy below as it appears above then it has probably been done to a high standard. If it is rough underneath I would question the other work, especially in light of the wiring under the hood.

When I get asked by friends to go and have a look at a car I always check to see if the cigarette lighter works. If it does then it is usually a good indication of the care that has been taken on the project. If it doesn't then have a look deeper!

However...It is your money and if you are comfortable with it then buy and enjoy. At $30K I would say you would sell it on for the same money. At $34K not so sure.

Me? I would bid them $25K and wait a week to see if the phone rings....

P.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=658621

If it goes wrong, I blame the Internet...
Paul Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 11:07 AM   #8
Scott2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsb29 View Post
Looks like Gas Monkey Garage parking lot I’d check out the tires for wear lol I also noticed the headlight wiring does it look like it belongs on $30,000 truck to me that’s a lot of money
It's in AZ and the tires are like new. Good call on the wiring. I didn't notice that.
Old 09-23-2020, 11:15 AM   #9
Scott2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Y View Post
I think it is a visually appealing truck. There appears to be a lot of money in parts and labour but think I am struggling with the valuation with that being said.

Is it possible to get it up on a ramp to have look underneath? If it is as tidy below as it appears above then it has probably been done to a high standard. If it is rough underneath I would question the other work, especially in light of the wiring under the hood.

When I get asked by friends to go and have a look at a car I always check to see if the cigarette lighter works. If it does then it is usually a good indication of the care that has been taken on the project. If it doesn't then have a look deeper!

However...It is your money and if you are comfortable with it then buy and enjoy. At $30K I would say you would sell it on for the same money. At $34K not so sure.

Me? I would bid them $25K and wait a week to see if the phone rings....

P.
It would be a fun errand runner and cruiser. While I wouldn't buy it as an investment, I obviously don't want to lose money and can't say how long I'd hold it. I actually offered him $30k and was turned down.

Here are some undercarriage pictures. It seems clean. Please let me know if anything seems noteworthy. Thanks for all the insight!

Not sure how much that rust should bother me:

Old 09-23-2020, 12:09 PM   #10
Scott2.0

Also, if anyone could comment on the C notch I’m interested in feedback. It doesn’t appear to have been strengthened above it and I’m wondering if it was done properly or if it’s weak as-is.
Old 09-23-2020, 12:11 PM   #11
LudachrisGSX

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsb29 View Post

They do tend to put their vehicles through some "testing".

It's a good looking truck, but it's a tough decision for a finished rebuild with no documentation or history, at least at that price. At a lower price it might be easier to take the risk, or if it's exactly what you've been looking for and don't intend to sell for quite a while.
LudachrisGSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 01:32 PM   #12
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

That looks pretty good! I'm not liking the tortured bends in the caliper flex hoses, though. Maybe it's a tropical delusion from the picture?

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 01:56 PM   #13
Scott2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeveedee View Post
That looks pretty good! I'm not liking the tortured bends in the caliper flex hoses, though. Maybe it's a tropical delusion from the picture?
Good eye! I don't think it's quite as tight as it looks, but I'll check it out if I decide to proceed. As I look at the undercarriage pics, I'm more concerned with the C notch in the frame. Looks awfully thin. Not sure if that's a valid concern though.
Old 09-23-2020, 02:31 PM   #14
SCOTI

Seems high to me. Dropped OE/torsion bar set-up? No thanks.

The rear c-notch is functional (it allows more clearance) but is not strong from a safety perspective.
Rear shocks look like they're leaning way over which makes it difficult for them to dampen as intended.

Value is subjective though. You say 30k would be a better number but that would still be too high for me.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 02:48 PM   #15
Scott2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
Seems high to me. Dropped OE/torsion bar set-up? No thanks.

The rear c-notch is functional (it allows more clearance) but is not strong from a safety perspective.
Rear shocks look like they're leaning way over which makes it difficult for them to dampen as intended.

Value is subjective though. You say 30k would be a better number but that would still be too high for me.
Thanks for the insight.

I questioned the angle of the shocks too.

As for the money, there's little doubt in my mind that it would cost $30k+ to replicate this build, but it's a big chunk o' change!
Old 09-23-2020, 04:29 PM   #16
nsb29

They didn’t leave much frame it appears to have been boxed but it’s still pretty thin it has a few nice parts but Not a lot of money it looks like an older build I don’t like the dropped torsion suspension either its cute but not 34000 cute 20 many 25 but not 34
Old 09-23-2020, 04:43 PM   #17
Scott2.0

Sorry for the ignorance but what's wrong with lowered torsion bar suspension?
Old 09-23-2020, 05:07 PM   #18
roll_the_dice

This is the truck on ebay?

Reserve is off at $30,700...so you may not have time to go look at it...ends in a little over 1 day.
roll_the_dice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 05:11 PM   #19
Scott2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by roll_the_dice View Post
This is the truck on ebay?

Reserve is off at $30,700...so you may not have time to go look at it...ends in a little over 1 day.
Yeah, that's it. I saw it yesterday. How do you know the reserve is off? Either way, he can kill the auction with 12 hours on the timer if it doesn't look like it's getting bid up.

Also listed here: https://carguysaz.com/inventory-for-sale
Old 09-23-2020, 05:15 PM   #20
roll_the_dice

If the reserve was not met, it would say "reserve not met" under the bid amount. IF it doesn't say that, then the reserve is off.

Glad you saw it.
roll_the_dice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 05:21 PM   #21
Scott2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by roll_the_dice View Post
If the reserve was not met, it would say "reserve not met" under the bid amount. IF it doesn't say that, then the reserve is off.

Glad you saw it.
Got it, thanks! I hate that they give sellers leeway to end the auction early, so it's not like a true no reserve auction like it would be on BaT or somewhere. It will be interesting to watch!
Old 09-23-2020, 05:56 PM   #22
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott2.0 View Post
Sorry for the ignorance but what's wrong with lowered torsion bar suspension?
Nothing "wrong" w/the Torsion Bar set-up but there's also nothing great about it & the 50's era technology. The suspension under that truck has what looks to be less than $1500 in parts invested. I see:

*Dropped spindles + Disc brake conversion = ~$600
*Rear lowering blocks = $65
*Homemade/c-channel c-notches = Scrap steel costs <$50
*Panhard bar = ~$175
*Fresh BJ's/Steering parts = < $500
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 07:42 PM   #23
AcampoDave

They painted right over the door striker and then re adjusted it. Also the seat frame is still rusty and dirty. Thats fine, but to me that says shortcuts have been taken. Maybe Im just out of touch with the price of these trucks, but for that kind of money, that seat fram should be as clean as the upholstery and if that door doesnt click shut with a gentle push......also since you have drawn my attention to the c-notch and the possibility of it being questionable it seems to me that bed sag is on the rear drivers side only. The front of the box looks square in the pic. Maybe there is a relationship there between the c-notch and the bed sagging....the burn out marks all over the front of the shop also speak volumes.
AcampoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 07:46 PM   #24
Scott2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcampoDave View Post
They painted right over the door striker and then re adjusted it. Also the seat frame is still rusty and dirty. Thats fine, but to me that says shortcuts have been taken. Maybe Im just out of touch with the price of these trucks, but for that kind of money, that seat fram should be as clean as the upholstery and if that door doesnt click shut with a gentle push......also since you have drawn my attention to the c-notch and the possibility of it being questionable it seems to me that bed sag is on the rear drivers side only. The front of the box looks square in the pic. Maybe there is a relationship there between the c-notch and the bed sagging....
Good eye! The doors require a lot of force to shut them. They both have brand new weather stripping though and I expect as it wears it may make them easier to close. The paint job, while shines nicely with near zero imperfections, was not a super high-end deal as evidenced by the spray over certain parts. The seat, I hadn't caught. Probably the OEM frame with new cover.
Old 09-23-2020, 08:00 PM   #25
geezer#99

Does it stop well?
I don’t see a disc/drum prop valve is used.
Just a drum/drum distribution block.

Unless there’s an adjustable valve in the rear line
geezer#99 is offline   Reply With Quote