The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-04-2018, 07:55 AM   #1
TKCR

Fuel Leak Help

Just got my 86 C10 SWB out of the garage yesterday. It has been sitting for a couple of years, in the garage in a dry controlled environment. When I started it up, it started with just a small drip on the passenger side, back where the tank is. Drove it around the neighborhood and pulled back in the driveway. It now has a steady stream of fuel, leaking. It stopped after a few minutes of the truck being off.
What I don't understand, I am driving off the driver's side tank. Are the fuel lines not separated, from tank to tank? Or should I say, side to side? Is there a way I can get the passenger side to completely shut off from the fuel? I need to take it and get it fixed, but the fuel is dripping to close to the exhaust, for my liking.
TKCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 05:33 PM   #2
Goats86

Re: Fuel Leak Help

The selector valve is on the passenger side. Probably just a short piece of rubber hose rotted between the steel line and valve. Typically you have the sender unit at tank, a short rubber hose, then to the valve all on the passenger side. You will actually have 2 hoses there. Fuel feed and vent. On the driver side, you have the sender unit, short rubber hose, steel line, then short rubber hose to valve. Could be any or all rubber hoses around the valve since they are 30+ years old.
Goats86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 04:36 AM   #3
pofo

That just happened to me. It was the hose from the drivers side tank that where completely rotten and started to leak near a hose clamp under the passenger side, near the switch valve. I had to loosen the bed and drag it back an inch or so to get to the hose from the tank.
pofo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 06:37 AM   #4
TKCR

The next day (yesterday), i crawled under there with the camera phone. I was actually able to use the camera feature to look around, and I was able to better what all was up there. I obviously have some rusty lines, but it is most likely the rubber hoses that are dry rotted. I will have to get it hauled somewhere to get these fixed.
I did take a few pics.
Attached Images

Old 07-05-2018, 12:09 PM   #5
Rich84

I had a similar leak.. I ended up having to get a new sending unit. The return line on the 30 year old sender had rotted out. The rubber was not leaking.
Rich84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 03:06 PM   #6
Dead Parrot

Just fixed something similar on my 75. Cause was a mouse that decided 42 year old rubber tasted good. Ate holes in the main lines from both tanks. And sampled one sender wire. Did the slide the bed thing since both 20 gallon tanks were full. At least the bed and bolts were in good shape.
Dead Parrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 06:10 PM   #7
RUN GMC

Had that some time ago.....it was the selector unit and it was leaking out the plug in for the wiring.....replaced it with the hi pressure rated one the only place that had it locally was the hub Autozone........
RUN GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 11:35 AM   #8
Jeepwm69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Parrot View Post
Just fixed something similar on my 75. Cause was a mouse that decided 42 year old rubber tasted good. Ate holes in the main lines from both tanks. And sampled one sender wire. Did the slide the bed thing since both 20 gallon tanks were full. At least the bed and bolts were in good shape.
To slide the bed back, do you just have to put an impact on the bed bolts, take them out, and then slide it back? Tail light wires etc can stay in place?
Jeepwm69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 05:55 AM   #9
pofo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepwm69 View Post
To slide the bed back, do you just have to put an impact on the bed bolts, take them out, and then slide it back? Tail light wires etc can stay in place?
That is correct. I also loosened the rear bumper, removed one bolt on each side and turned it downwards a little, to make room for the bed. The tail lights wires was long enough, so no trouble there.
pofo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 06:32 AM   #10
Dead Parrot

Spray bed bolts with your favorite penetrating oil several times during the couple of days preceding your repair. Helper or something to set on the bolt heads once loose, otherwise they keep wanting to rise out of the square hole and spin.

8 bed bolts, gas tank fillers, tilt the bumper down, drop spare tire. No need to play with tail light wires.

Crow bar and several short 2x wood blocks to help convince the bed to move once the bolts are out. Only needs to go back a few inches.
Dead Parrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 04:57 PM   #11
Jeepwm69

Thanks! I tried to do it a couple of years ago with a ratchet and quickly gave up. I have an impact now so it's on my to-do list
Jeepwm69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 05:16 AM   #12
TKCR

Update:
Got the truck back yesterday, it was the Selector Valve. They put in a new one and replaced all the rubber hoses.
Old 07-18-2018, 08:02 AM   #13
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

Glad to hear she is back going (safely) again.

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 08:02 AM   #14
44th Miss Inf

Now drive that thing. Too good looking of a truck to just sit in the garage!

Glad it was an easy fix.
44th Miss Inf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 05:00 PM   #15
TKCR

Thanks!! I did drive it, as soon as I picked it up, we drove 1 1/2 hrs to the guys place that will be painting the hood. I also had the shop replace the radiator, it was starting to seep. She ran great, except for the rough idle at the stop lights. So maybe just a little adjustment.
It's also the first time on the highway since having the vent windows rebuilt. It was a lot quieter!! She will definitely be driven more, once the hood is painted. I won't have the excuse of no time in another 6 months, I will be retired at that time.