The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-14-2010, 06:02 PM   #1
daxloves

62' GMC Work Horse.

I am slowly fixing up my 62 GMC work truck. Was an old truck I bought from my neighbor, he was first owner. The truck was bought to be my firewood getting rig and that it did. I was cutting firewood for a living and selling over 200 cord a year so the truck had its work cut out for it :-)

One day my uncle was helping me cut wood. I dropped him off at a stand of dead trees to fall them while I ran the truck up to a turnaround on the narrow dirt road. Got back and 3 trees on the ground ready to go so we started getting the other saw out to start bucking them up and all the sudden I hear a snapping, look up and tree #4 is on its way down! Landed strait across the cab of the truck from passenger side to drivers. Caved it in down to the top of the doors. The windshield cracked but staid in one piece and the rear didn't get a scratch. Bed was damaged a bit by branches and one branch made a nice little sunroof for me.

Turns out my uncle cut tree #4 off but it snagged in another tree so he just left it and neglected to tell me about it >:-( Needless to day I was not very happy.

Took out the handyman jack and a block of wood and jacked the top back up enough to get home, after cutting up the tree parked on my truck. Took a while but managed to bang the cab out enough that it just looked like crap but with some new doors it was usable, drafty tho :-)

3 or 4 years later I had a kid renting one of my apartments and he needed some wheels to get to town so he could catch the bus to collage. I let him drive my truck, figured he couldn't hurt it! I was wrong. On his way to town he saw a snowplow coming and freaked. Got too close to the shoulder and got sucked in the ditch by the snow bank. The truck kinda went sideways and hit a mailbox directly in the center of the drivers door. Normally that wouldn't be too big of a deal, but in this case the mail box post was a rail road tie buried 5 feet in the ground. The drivers door was smushed into the seat about 3 inches.

After that I kinda retired the battered girl. Only took her out when there was work that no other truck could handle. It was still drivable, frame didn't get bent or anything.

About 2 years ago I decided I wanted my 62' back on the road and in full working condition. I happened to have a good body of a 69' sitting on a gutted out frame so I welded up new body mounts and swapped her out. It will always be a 62' to me tho it may look like a 69'. Unfortunately I didn't have a digital camera at the time so don't have any pics. Looking for some old polaroids to scan but so far no luck.

This is what she looks like now.

Some areas need a bit more work than others

Soon I'll be doing a 73-86 front end swap, patching up the holes and giving her a new coat of paint. This truck ain't for show but I still want it to look decent :-)

Got the brakes working yesterday, all the old rubber flex lines were swollen shut and the master cylinders were stuck.

More to come as I get the time to work on it. Will look for those before pics and scan them if I find em.
daxloves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 08:51 PM   #2
DPowers
One foot in front of the other

Re: 62' GMC Work Horse.

Wow- great stories
DPowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 09:14 PM   #3
daxloves

After a lot of reading here> http://6066gmcguy.org I now know a lot more about my truck

Its a 1962 GMC 1500 with the 305D V6, SM-420 trans and the Spicer 60 rear end.

That site has a LOT of info!
Old 03-15-2010, 03:45 PM   #4
63 & 64 Bowties
and a few others

Good story. The story was kinda long, so I just scanned it, then started looking at the pics. I thought; wait a minute 62? what the....?

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” Gandhi
63 & 64 Bowties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 08:58 PM   #5
daxloves

Yea, I was debating wether or not to post here or in the forum for the '69 but figured anything on the truck that can break or will need info on will be '62

If anyone thinks this should be in the 67-72 area please let me know.
Old 03-16-2010, 07:41 AM   #6
63 & 64 Bowties
and a few others

Quote:
Originally Posted by daxloves View Post
If anyone thinks this should be in the 67-72 area please let me know.
No, I think you made the right choice.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” Gandhi
63 & 64 Bowties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 11:59 PM   #7
daxloves

Been a while since I updated anything... havent done a lot to it lately, been busy with work.

I did mount a wench to the back for skidding logs out of them hard to reach places, it just plugs into the hitch receptor.

And I also got some front tires that match the back a lil better and level the truck out a bit.

Thats about all for now tho I got to get my buisness going good enough I can just hire ppl to do all the work so I can play with my trucks and cars
Old 03-23-2012, 01:02 AM   #8
FetchMeAPepsi

OK Dax, how about an update?
FetchMeAPepsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 04:02 PM   #9
daxloves

Only update is, I had a daughter. So now I have no time or money to work on my truck or car. The truck hasnt changed a bit, cept the patina gettin a lil better :-)
Old 09-09-2012, 08:19 PM   #10
FetchMeAPepsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by daxloves View Post
Only update is, I had a daughter. So now I have no time or money to work on my truck or car. The truck hasnt changed a bit, cept the patina gettin a lil better :-)
congrats! Daughters are the best. They won't help much past 14, but till then they're always there in the grease and the mud helping Daddy and giving you the best Kodak moments you could ever hope for.

I've got three of the little princesses myself and they're worth their weight in gold till then. After 14 you can quietly take a brick to their noggins and start over again if you want to keep your sanity
See My Build - Cecilia!
Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.
FetchMeAPepsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 08:36 PM   #11
daxloves

Hahaha, thanks for the advice. I'll keep the brick part in mind for later :-)