The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-16-2019, 07:40 PM   #1
jaws61

C4 rear end or solid?

HI
I"m starting my build for my second 59 chevy truck,

I"m curious on what people think is a better idea or how they ride. I"m going to be running a C5 front end but curious if I should run the C4 rear end or go to a solid rear end with a 4 link or tri??

Thoughts or what you have done?
jaws61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 10:17 PM   #2
mongocanfly
Post Whore

Re: C4 rear end or solid?

Cost would be a big ???...the solid would be cheaper...but the ride better with the c4

RIP Dad
RIP Jesse

1981 C30 LQ9 NV4500..http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=753598
Mongos AD- LS3 TR6060...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...34#post8522334
Columbus..the 1957 IH 4x4...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...63#post8082563
2023 Chevy Z71..daily driver
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 11:32 PM   #3
mr48chev

Cost obviously but secondly, does it factor into the whole plan of the build? If it jives with the whole build head on.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 01:37 AM   #4
MiraclePieCo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr48chev View Post
Cost obviously but secondly, does it factor into the whole plan of the build? If it jives with the whole build head on.
Good point. Seems like good build theme continuity to have comparable front and rear suspension. Do you already have the C4 rear suspension? If so, then it's a no-brainer.
Old 08-17-2019, 11:35 AM   #5
jaws61

First off thanks!!
The plan for the truck is 5.3 Ls and keep it with patina paint or rat rod look...
(I hate dealing with paint and putting stuff back together plus not being able to change things....)

Ive got a 8.8 ford explorer rear end right now, still looking for another one come in to short one of them down.. If I go down that road...(I work for a scrap yard on my free days...)

I've yet to get a C4 rear end, original had the plan to do a C5 rear end but thats just way to pricey but the time you add up find a Camaro diff, than axles to go corvette to Camaro.... So that's why I was thinking C4 rear end would be best way to go..

As far a money compared to the C4 vs solid, its not that much different, A 4 link is around the $400-500 mark, so the C4 kit $700 mark... the price difference is really just for find a C4 rear end...
jaws61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 01:55 PM   #6
FleetsideBill

Just my 2 cents, I was going to build a similar project got my suspensions from e bay, started, then found out the base [automatic] C4 pumpkin wont hold up to horsepower/stick and the C4 manual rear ends a are hard to come by, so i got a quick performance 9 inch
FleetsideBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 02:11 PM   #7
dsraven

seems like it will be a bunch of fab work either way. c notch or corvette. personally, I would decide what the truck will be doing and go from there. if you plan to install some serious power and roast the tires all the time and maybe do some light to light street stuff then go with the diff that supports that so less time fixing stuff. if it is a cruiser and ride is important then possibly independent rear would help. a solid axle on coils or air bags will also ride well but again with the c notch and a 4 link or trailing arms thee will be some fab work. the 8.8 is a pretty stout axle and is easily shortened using the shorter side tube and axle from another diff or possibly just look for a mustang 8.8 that is centered. a wheel bolt pattern that is the same all around the truck would be a benefit and sorta expected of a well done rod. not a hard thing to do on an 8.8 either but every time you need brake rotors you need to drill etc.
if you have a second truck post a few pics. you know we all like the pics of others guys' projects and how they are proceeding.
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 11:49 PM   #8
Dan in Pasadena

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaws61 View Post
First off thanks!!
The plan for the truck is 5.3 Ls and keep it with patina paint or rat rod look...
(I hate dealing with paint and putting stuff back together plus not being able to change things....)

I've got a 8.8 ford explorer rear end right now.....
What you speak of here^^^ is what I've got in my '55. Flat Out Engineering Corvette IFS and a Ford 8.8 limited slip in the rear. I did it because at the beginning of my project I was planning to use my truck as my retirement daily driver and thought I might tow Jet Skis with it.

I got carried away and made my truck way too nice (in my opinion) to use that way. I can't even drive it to dinner and leave it unwatched for fear of it being stolen. I LOVE my truck but I kind of regret having done it quite so showy.
Attached Images

Dan's '55 Big Window "Build" - Well, Kinda!
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote