The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-16-2016, 03:14 AM   #1
prodjay10

carburetor is leaking from top gasket

I was trying to fix the throttle because it sticks. It'll idle at 1000 to 1200 and when I goose the pedal it drops to 600. So I greased up the linkages and it wasn't sticking as bad, but when I was on my way back home the truck died and it was leaking pretty bad from the top carburetor gasket.

When I was greasing the linkages, I noticed it was wet on and around the carburetor to suggest that this isn't the only time it has happened, maybe just not as bad.

1971 c10 with monojet carb.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
prodjay10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 03:30 AM   #2
TBONE1964
Cluster King

Re: carburetor is leaking from top gasket

Quote:
Originally Posted by prodjay10 View Post
I was trying to fix the throttle because it sticks. It'll idle at 1000 to 1200 and when I goose the pedal it drops to 600. So I greased up the linkages and it wasn't sticking as bad, but when I was on my way back home the truck died and it was leaking pretty bad from the top carburetor gasket.

When I was greasing the linkages, I noticed it was wet on and around the carburetor to suggest that this isn't the only time it has happened, maybe just not as bad.

1971 c10 with monojet carb.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Needle and seat may have stuck open by a piece of dirt or your float level is too high or both. That is where I would start.
TBONE1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 01:10 PM   #3
snipescastle2

Talking Re: carburetor is leaking from top gasket

Carburetor kits are cheap, and a new float not much more. Cheap insurance against an under hood fire waiting to happen! Is this an L6? Shouldn't take but a few minutes to go through that one.
Ben
snipescastle2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 01:32 PM   #4
leftybass209

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBONE1964 View Post
Needle and seat may have stuck open by a piece of dirt or your float level is too high or both. That is where I would start.
Quote:
Originally Posted by snipescastle2 View Post
Carburetor kits are cheap, and a new float not much more. Cheap insurance against an under hood fire waiting to happen! Is this an L6? Shouldn't take but a few minutes to go through that one.
Ben
Both excellent suggestions. Make sure once it's apart, to put a straight edge on both the top and bottom mating surfaces. I've chased some carb leaks a couple times just to find the surfaces to be warped. What a waste of time and money!
leftybass209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 02:14 PM   #5
prodjay10

When I saw it spilling over, I thought it was going to catch fire!

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll be tearing that sucker apart today and also picking up some fire extinguishers.
Old 08-19-2016, 01:40 AM   #6
prodjay10

I opened the carburetor up and I noticed that the float would snag sometimes while moving it up and down. I couldn't adjust it so it would stop snagging so I ordered a new brass float with the rest of the kit. I hope it'll fix my issue. Other than some fine copper color metallic flakes at the bottom of the float bowl, the carburetor is pretty clean.