The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-26-2011, 09:05 PM   #1
BigSwid79

Carb Issues

I got a mild built chevy 350 with a 600cfm Edelbrock Carb. The engines pushing 325hp and with that carb it shouldn't be too much. I'm getting a rich issue at idle. The carbs loading up and then dogging out if i stomp it off idle. I've somewhat corrected my problem but it still exist. I bumped my timing advance to 40 and left it there. The truck picks up alot better now but I was wondering how to really tune in my Idle Mixture Screws. I want to lean it out a little at idle. I only got 32's on my truck and i should be able to roast them off if my truck didn't dog off the line. I checked for vacuum leaks and that was fine. My plugs were black carbon composite so I know i was running rich. I'm gonna check my plugs in a few days after running with the timing advanced to 40 and see if they clean off any. So please help me on the Idle Mixture Screw deal, if thats my issue? Help!
BigSwid79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 09:21 PM   #2
78bronzechariot

Re: Carb Issues

As far as idle mixture goes, if you have your timing set and are running at operating temp, what I usually do is shut the engine off and turn both mixture screws all the way in, just stop when you get there don't force them. Then back them both out 3.5 turns. Start then engine then turn them out each a half a turn until you get the highest idle speed. once you have found that, turn them in one turn. After that you should be able to set your base idle speed where you want it.

Also a possibility based on what your saying, is your float level set too high?
78bronzechariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 01:03 AM   #3
crazy longhorn
Fabricate till you "puke"

Re: Carb Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSwid79 View Post
I got a mild built chevy 350 with a 600cfm Edelbrock Carb. The engines pushing 325hp and with that carb it shouldn't be too much. I'm getting a rich issue at idle. The carbs loading up and then dogging out if i stomp it off idle. I've somewhat corrected my problem but it still exist. I bumped my timing advance to 40 and left it there. The truck picks up alot better now but I was wondering how to really tune in my Idle Mixture Screws. I want to lean it out a little at idle. I only got 32's on my truck and i should be able to roast them off if my truck didn't dog off the line. I checked for vacuum leaks and that was fine. My plugs were black carbon composite so I know i was running rich. I'm gonna check my plugs in a few days after running with the timing advanced to 40 and see if they clean off any. So please help me on the Idle Mixture Screw deal, if thats my issue? Help!
To start with. you dont want a 40 total(shoot for about 32-35, with initial & mechanical as a total, all in @ 3000 rpms). Then add as much as you can to the vac can.....you may see as much as 48-52 degrees under part throttle. After that, tune your carb crazyL
69 longhorn,4" chop,3/5 drop, 1/2 ton suspension/disc brakes,1 1/2" body drop,steel tilt clip, 5.3/Edelbrock rpm intake/600 carb, Hooker streetrod shorties,2 1/2" exhaust/ H pipe/50's Flows , 6 spd Richmond trans,12 bolt/ 3.40 gears....
crazy longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote