The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Info Center > FAQ Truck Tech > 67-72

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-27-2005, 07:45 PM   #1
matthufham

Rejuvenate your grille

I have a 72 chevy grille and this applies more to the 71-72 chevy at first, but covers all models later in the faq.

Ok so you start with a stock piece, painted, chrome, dented, no difference. Here’s what I started with.

notice the black paint fading around the headlights, dirty chrome....

The first thing I discovered, the black around the headlights is painted on top of the "chrome". So I took some goo off, and scrubbed the area around the headlights. the black comes off, revealing chrome. I was pretty impressed with the results.

here's a pic after i scrubbed the bottom side, there's 4 sides.

So as nice as that was I went the next step. I removed the inner grille, painted it with some model car paint (Testors primer gray spray paint) and primed the outer grille. Then things got amazing. At walmart the shiniest Testors paint they have is "metallic silver". I used that on my dash bezel and it wasn’t shiny. At Michaels (a hobby store) they have "chrome" testors paint, I thought, it has to be shinier than metallic silver, so I got that and it was beautiful. If I was 3 feet away from the grille where I can’t see little dust particles in the finished job (which should be avoided by the way) it looks like real chrome!

I also painted the bow-tie. It’s held into the chrome piece with metal tabs, all mine broke when I bent them so I ended up hot gluing it in there. Don’t worry it’s stuck good. edit 9/30/06... the hot glue seemed to not work.. the inner bowtie fell out of the chrome trim ring, but it's sandwiched between that and the grill. i guess i'll epoxy it.

So there you have it, $7.95 for paint, and I saved 350 or so dollars on a new outer and inner grill. Is it perfect… not at all, in fact my inner grill is missing pieces, and is split in 3 sections, although I took the time to epoxy the sections together again. My outer grill has dents, and dust particles in the paint, but it looks good from far away.

it's 9/30/06 and i decided to update this. i recently thought about painting the inner grille flat black to hide all the cracks, i think it turned out great. and i ended up painting the area around the headlights black like original, but not on the light bezels.

Last edited by augie; 04-10-2011 at 11:43 PM.