The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-25-2022, 03:21 PM   #1
blap

1955/2 Sheet metal parts

Has any member found any difference in the after market patch panels offered in the after market? I'm sure this has been asked before. Probably all the same from off shore.
blap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2022, 11:06 PM   #2
62c30

Re: 1955/2 Sheet metal parts

I haven't bought any 47-59 panels recently but for my 61 I'm working on I've ordered a ton from different vendors and they either fit fairly good or terrible. I mainly buy from LMC and classic parts. I've ordered panels for my 62 that I had also used on my 61 and comparing the two companies the parts look exactly the same and even with the same gold china sticker. I do know each company has some exclusive parts.
62c30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2022, 08:56 PM   #3
62 Barnfind

LMC is hit or miss with the 55-59 parts. My 62 I only bought f on Classic Chevy and those fit pretty good. Every part I bought from LMC I had to modify to fit right because the quality is bad. I have two sets of bedsides beaches they are made so bad. The best fitting one that I have found is Auto Metal direct I hardly had to modify it. It seems the stamping is better. You will still have to modify but not as much. What are you looking for?
My build tread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=507513
62 Barnfind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 10:08 AM   #4
57FleetsideC4

I bought most of my metal from AMD auto metal direct and what they did not have I got from Dynacorn Depot. They all came from the same company and fit pretty good. Steve
Old 11-28-2022, 03:18 PM   #5
blap

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57FleetsideC4 View Post
I bought most of my metal from AMD auto metal direct and what they did not have I got from Dynacorn Depot. They all came from the same company and fit pretty good. Steve
Thank you!
Old 11-28-2022, 03:18 PM   #6
blap

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62 Barnfind View Post
LMC is hit or miss with the 55-59 parts. My 62 I only bought f on Classic Chevy and those fit pretty good. Every part I bought from LMC I had to modify to fit right because the quality is bad. I have two sets of bedsides beaches they are made so bad. The best fitting one that I have found is Auto Metal direct I hardly had to modify it. It seems the stamping is better. You will still have to modify but not as much. What are you looking for?
I need lower hinge pocket repair pieces, Inner ft fender support, lower cowl repair piece
Thankyou
Old 11-28-2022, 03:19 PM   #7
blap

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62c30 View Post
I haven't bought any 47-59 panels recently but for my 61 I'm working on I've ordered a ton from different vendors and they either fit fairly good or terrible. I mainly buy from LMC and classic parts. I've ordered panels for my 62 that I had also used on my 61 and comparing the two companies the parts look exactly the same and even with the same gold china sticker. I do know each company has some exclusive parts.
Thankyou
Old 12-03-2022, 01:21 PM   #8
dsraven

for those parts it likely isn't gonna matter too much where your parts come from as they aren't really outside body parts. i would recommend, however, that you take some good measurements and take pics of them as you measure. that way you can get the dimensions correct when you weld in the new parts. the cowl isn't that important but the hinge pillar stuff can be because the door has to fit and seal afterwards.
when i do that stuff i cut a few patterns from poster board that shows the contours and where the bolt holes go etc. take a reference from something like the upper hinge bolt holes or whatever when you do the hinge pillar work. I also use a center punch mark above the work area as a refernce for my pattern to use as a common starting point.
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 10:55 AM   #9
dsraven

do you have the assembly manual? it shows how all that goes together and where to find the spot welds. it also shows stock dimensions so you can ensure you get it right the first time-less messing around later trying to fit the door fitment.
the vertical brace at the rear of the fender has several different lengths available from the different suppliers so that is something to watch for
check the lower hinge pillar area at the step to ensure there is metal left there to weld the new parts to. sometimes you start getting it apart and realise you need the step or rocker part. the step is available with the rocker attached
for the inner cowls I recommend to get that part off before you order so you get what you need. there is a crossbar-water director spot welded onto the pillar above the vent opening inside the cowl. not really needed if you are deleting the cowl vent ahead of the window like a lot of guys do, but if you are keeping the cowl vent then check that trough to ensure it is intact and hasnt rotted a hole in the pillar.
Old 12-04-2022, 10:57 AM   #10
dsraven

the assembly manual can be downloaded for free from the tri5 site. google 55-59 chevrolet truck factory assembly manual and click on the tri5 site, go from there. download or peruse online. I suggest to download so you ahve a copy. who knows how long these things stay posted