The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Paint & Bodywork

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-30-2019, 11:21 PM   #1
Kodasdad200321

Help

Ive been working on my 68 for 2 years now and I started putting color on it finally. 3 weeks ago I shot it and the clear was garbage. Fast forward to now. I started to respray it (darker color and different brand, first was duplicolor paint shop(used before with no issues) new color is Omni au from Napa and at a price of 300/gallon I canít afford to screw up to much. Iíve shot 8-10 different cars but this is getting me. New paint is lifting in spots and Iím not 100%how to fix. Iíve wet sanded back down, and even tried light coat of primer.... any help would be great.
Attached Images

Kodasdad200321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 11:55 PM   #2
MP&C

Re: Help

Incompatible products. I've seen that before with Dulicolor products. Just say no...

I'd strip what's on there to metal and start over using compatible components.
Old 07-31-2019, 07:52 AM   #3
nsb29

When you get it stripped I would use SPI epoxy. If you need a high build primer I use slick sand or feather fill, omni is compatible with most primers, I donít know what kind of clear youíre using but I would recommend SPI or PPG I agree 100% with Robert dump the Duplicolor. And always follow manufacturer recommendations
nsb29 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 09:45 PM   #4
Foot Stomper

There's a common term for what you have experienced. It's commonly referred to as "crazing". It happens when a coating is top coated with a "hotter" coating. The solvents will attack the weaker substrate causing it to wrinkle and fail as you have experienced.

Unfortunately, there's no easy fix. As others have said, you will need to remove all the Duplicolor and any other products used (with sandpaper only) that did NOT require an activator or hardener such as lacquer primer or lacquer putty (sometimes called Glazing Putty). Any product that is "air dry" will not tolerate the 2K products like Omni, SPI or any others.

Going forward, stick to 2K products (ones that require an activator to cure) and you will be fine. Be sure to read the Technical Data Sheets for all products before using them. Don't be too concerned with brands, there's lots of good ones. Best bet for success is to consult your local paint store with your questions. If they don't want to help, walk...go find a store where they will coach you on how to use their products.

Try to remember that there's no such thing as good, cheap paint.

My 1959 GMC build thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=686989
Foot Stomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 07:29 AM   #5
nsb29

NO SUCH THING AS GOOD, CHEAP PAINT!! No truer words have ever been spoken
nsb29 is online now   Reply With Quote