The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-08-2021, 06:13 PM   #1
70cstdime

Anybody Runnin a 67' w/ a street Roll Cage

I'm lookin for info on caging a 67' 2wd SWB for street use.

I see S&W race cars stock a "4 point street cage" weld in kit. I inquired for pics of one installed.

I want to do the cage braces thru the cab on each side of the rear window.
I saw one cab where they run the main hoop support tube with a slight kick out to get under the cab bump out below the window. This provides more seat room and a cleaner look.

I'm going to run a 2 1/2" cpp drop spindle in the front, maybe a 1" drop spring (whatever one works for the BBC) and 4" heavy duty drop springs in the rear so I can haul Harley motorcycles in the bed (about 800lbs of cargo)

So this is just a safety mod for the street. I dont have any intention of having it become and issue at the track or anything. its gonna be a 430hp 510tq truck. T-56 transmission. Not gonna be a record breaker. But I do want the added safety in case of a roll over.

I would like to do some kind of quick detach kit where the bed tubes attach behind the cab. This way if I ever go for a rust free cab, I can remove the main hoop inside the cab, which will bolt to the cab mounts w grade 8 bolts. and also bolt to the frame under the bed somehow.
70cstdime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 06:05 AM   #2
special-K
Special Order

Re: Anybody Runnin a 67' w/ a street Roll Cage

Who makes HD drop springs? I might need some for my '67 build w/o c-notch. I was considering the bags in place of coil set-up but I'd rather just keep it simple with coils.

Sorry, can't help on the cage question. We have a guy up the road from me who does race car fabrications I'd probably use if I needed one

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 09:12 AM   #3
Grumpy old man

[QUOTE=special-K;9005050]Who makes HD drop springs? I might need some for my '67 build w/o c-notch. I was considering the bags in place of coil set-up but I'd rather just keep it simple with coils.

I have a set of heavy duty 4" drop springs I bought from GR8-68 to use on my 67 But I used some CPP 5" drop springs ,The picture shows them on his 68 If they are what you want you can have them for the cost of shipping,

https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...=349469&page=9
Attached Images

1967 Factory short bed - Old school
'71 - 350 / 4bolt / 487 heads / Edelbrock C3BX
Muncie M-22 4 speed / Hurst Comp plus
Factory 12 bolt posi 3.73 / 255-70-15
Smoothed firewall / Factory cowl induction
Power disc brakes / power steering / 3.5-5" drop

Last edited by Grumpy old man; 12-09-2021 at 09:20 AM.
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 11:51 AM   #4
70cstdime

Yo special-k

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=569550
Old 12-09-2021, 11:55 AM   #5
70cstdime

CPP p/n: RCS603-4HD

125 bucks!
Old 12-09-2021, 11:57 AM   #6
70cstdime

I'm interested in being second dibbs on in buying those 4" drop HD springs off you grumpyoldman if the other forum member doesn't grab them.

Thanks
Old 12-09-2021, 12:04 PM   #7
Grumpy old man

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70cstdime View Post
I'm interested in being second dibbs on in buying those 4" drop HD springs off you grumpyoldman if the other forum member doesn't grab them.

Thanks
Yeah , Sorry this isn't a for sale thread .

1967 Factory short bed - Old school
'71 - 350 / 4bolt / 487 heads / Edelbrock C3BX
Muncie M-22 4 speed / Hurst Comp plus
Factory 12 bolt posi 3.73 / 255-70-15
Smoothed firewall / Factory cowl induction
Power disc brakes / power steering / 3.5-5" drop
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 12:46 PM   #8
72c20customcamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
Who makes HD drop springs? I might need some for my '67 build w/o c-notch. I was considering the bags in place of coil set-up but I'd rather just keep it simple with coils.

Sorry, can't help on the cage question. We have a guy up the road from me who does race car fabrications I'd probably use if I needed one
I used Classic Performance RCS603-4HD on my 68 . Suppose to keep the load capacity . 3 inch front and 4 in back but you have seen the truck in person
Attached Images

1969 AMX ,
1968 c20 stepside ,85 K20
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.
72c20customcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 09:48 AM   #9
special-K
Special Order

[quote=Grumpy old man;9005069]
Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post

I have a set of heavy duty 4" drop springs I bought from GR8-68 to use on my 67 But I used some CPP 5" drop springs ,The picture shows them on his 68 If they are what you want you can have them for the cost of shipping,

https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...=349469&page=9
That's generous of you. I'll send a PM. Good old Larry, I miss having him around here. I got to hang out with him at a couple Carlisle Truck shows.

I haven't been looking at suspension for a while. I either missed that HDs came out or forgot. With bags I could change ride height from level to a rake, but I'm happy with a 2" rake on this one

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2021, 01:19 PM   #10
HO455
Post Whore

Your plan for the roll bar is a hoop with 2 bars going back?
With your other requirements why not put the hoop outside of the cab?
That leaves more room inside, less work when you change cabs, and far fewer hassles when you go through tech at the track. Tech officials can be humorless when considering roll bars that aren't exactly what they want to see. I know of one guy who's 12.20 Camaro was okay with no roll bar but was turned away after he installed a bolt-in roll bar.

If you stick with your original idea I recommend talking with the tech officials at your local track before starting. This is one of those times where not asking for permission and begging for forgiveness later doesn't work.
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2021, 08:57 PM   #11
70cstdime

Thanks for responding, HO 455

I'm not too concerned with meeting the dragway requirements. I'm mostly putting it for my safety on the street, and a place to attach my seatbelts. Looks cool.....

I do want a solid plan though, is why I have reached out to a member for more details on the S&W Race Cars "4 point street bar" he installed in his truck looks like exactly what I'm looking for. I also reached out to S&W directly.
Old 12-14-2021, 03:29 PM   #12
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70cstdime View Post
Thanks for responding, HO 455

I'm not too concerned with meeting the dragway requirements. I'm mostly putting it for my safety on the street, and a place to attach my seatbelts. Looks cool.....

I do want a solid plan though, is why I have reached out to a member for more details on the S&W Race Cars "4 point street bar" he installed in his truck looks like exactly what I'm looking for. I also reached out to S&W directly.
A roll bar in a single cab street truck is not a good idea unless the bars are positioned far enough away that your/your passengers noggin can't hit them. Sure they'll possibly help keep the cab from caving-in on you in a roll-over situation but that won't save you from the more likely to occur head trauma when it's bouncing off the bars. Most 'catalog' offerings are not built w/this logic. They are are for looks & create a safety concern.

This is why vehicles w/a cage for protection first require helmets for 'safety'. Roll bars or cages are after helmets when considered from a safety perspective.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2021, 10:18 PM   #13
SkidmoreGarage

I haven't seen a real cage for a c10 that isn't a custom job, with a big compromise in ease of use (custom seats for head clearance, door bars and holes in the back of the cab). Make sure it's what you really want. These trucks aren't "safe", but they aren't unsafe on the street either. Driving on the street, I'm more worried about a front end collision, these trucks do not do well with any impact. My neighbor had a 20mph impact at a stop, other car didn't stop and hit the driver's door and he went into a tree. Truck was mangled and totaled, neighbor was mostly ok with a few stitches to the head.

There are engineering reasons that make it difficult to re-invent the rollbar on these trucks. A badly designed rollbar is worse than no roll bar. In a non-rollover situation it is a club to the softest part of your head, and in a rollover accident it's a mouse trap. Get someone who knows what they are doing would be my advice.
SkidmoreGarage is offline   Reply With Quote