The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-01-2015, 01:20 AM   #1
sy2767

Wanting new control arms- discs on my 68, a few questions!!

I'm a totally new to this so please educate me. I am wanting to swap the original control arms and drums on my 68 to some newer style control arms and discs. Can this be done without changing the crossmember? What needs to be done to put new control arms in? Does a vendor or company sell all required parts? ( i know i will not find anything locally and i don't want to put 30 plus year old parts on my truck.
sy2767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 04:14 PM   #2
SCOTI

Re: Wanting new control arms- discs on my 68, a few questions!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sy2767 View Post
I'm a totally new to this so please educate me. I am wanting to swap the original control arms and drums on my 68 to some newer style control arms and discs. Can this be done without changing the crossmember? What needs to be done to put new control arms in? Does a vendor or company sell all required parts? ( i know i will not find anything locally and i don't want to put 30 plus year old parts on my truck.
Yes, arms can be swapped w/o touching the original x-member. The later arms that had disc brakes used thicker diameter u-bolts the secure the lower shafts to the x-member. If using the thicker (stronger) u-bolts, the holes in the original x-member will need to be drilled out. The original drum brake u-bolts will hold them in place as well (they just won't be as strong as the thickers units).

Dorman products sell 'new' a-arms through your local auto parts house (I know O'Reillys sell them). But for the cost, I would look into aftermarket arms that can give you geometry inprovements for a little more investment.

New arms & discs will possibly require other steering parts as well unless specific 63-70 disc brake conversion spindles ure used.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 02:25 AM   #3
SIXT8LOU

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
Yes, arms can be swapped w/o touching the original x-member. The later arms that had disc brakes used thicker diameter u-bolts the secure the lower shafts to the x-member. If using the thicker (stronger) u-bolts, the holes in the original x-member will need to be drilled out. The original drum brake u-bolts will hold them in place as well (they just won't be as strong as the thickers units).

Dorman products sell 'new' a-arms through your local auto parts house (I know O'Reillys sell them). But for the cost, I would look into aftermarket arms that can give you geometry inprovements for a little more investment.

New arms & discs will possibly require other steering parts as well unless specific 63-70 disc brake conversion spindles ure used.
Do you think that the old 68 U bolts are that weak? , are the newer stronger ones necessary? I am at that point of installing the lower A arms (68) after i installed new crosss shafts and 72 disks...was going to put the old ones on?? just saw a new set of thicker bolts for 44 bucks online!
SIXT8LOU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 01:02 PM   #4
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIXT8LOU View Post
Do you think that the old 68 U bolts are that weak? , are the newer stronger ones necessary? I am at that point of installing the lower A arms (68) after i installed new crosss shafts and 72 disks...was going to put the old ones on?? just saw a new set of thicker bolts for 44 bucks online!
They're not weak; just not as strong as the thicker diameter units. The drum brake u-bolts will work w/discs.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote