The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-17-2012, 10:10 PM   #251
flashed

Re: Cheap Tricks

Boy thats a great idea ,Im going to use that one at work.
flashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 03:43 PM   #252
SeniorVerde

Here's a fun way to see if any TV remote is working:

Aim the remote at a digital camera or camera phone.
Look at the remote through your camera as if you're going to take a picture of it and push a button on your remote.
If the remote works, you'll see a blinking white light that is usually not seen by human eyes, but your digital camera's viewfinder will show the light blinking at you.

If you don't see a blink, you might need new batteries.
SeniorVerde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 03:48 PM   #253
maskale

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanelDeland View Post
Wanted to bring this to the top.So here's a "Keeping Momma Happy" tip.Ladder socks.I use an old pair of crew/work socks to cover the feet of my ladder when I bring it in on the carpet in the house.I use it in the garage and the yard and some times the feets ain't clean.With the scks I don't gotta xlean carpets,too.I do have to duct tape them most times if I'm moving the ladder around.
I just put the duct tape on the feet and up the sides an inch or two. Yeah it does leave some residue, which collects dirt also. But its quick. Usually dont even peel it off, just add a fresh strip. Then when it has piled up pull it all off and start again.
maskale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 04:19 PM   #254
RenoKeene
Florida Edition

I didn't know how far this thread would go when I started it but over 10,000 views so far, wow!
Like I've said before...lots of very, very smart people in here. Thanks everyone that has contributed.
71 Serro Scotty Sportsman camper "Scotty"
97 LT1 Z28 "The Hornet"

Link to more pics of "Rose" http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...p?albumid=1684

Check out my "Cheap Tricks" thread and add to it if you can, lots of good info there. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=489394
RenoKeene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 05:36 PM   #255
JRANGER

ok I have a lil trick my dad taught me in HS for my 95 RAM 1500 I had...If the starter is jacked and the truck wont start....HIT yhe starter with a hammer or wrench a couple times and try again....Had to do that after school for a month or so before I got a new on
JRANGER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 05:44 PM   #256
maskale

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRANGER View Post
ok I have a lil trick my dad taught me in HS for my 95 RAM 1500 I had...If the starter is jacked and the truck wont start....HIT yhe starter with a hammer or wrench a couple times and try again....Had to do that after school for a month or so before I got a new on
use the jack handle thats already under the hood, great for poking at the starter.
maskale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 05:50 PM   #257
NONHOG

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRANGER View Post
....HIT the starter with a hammer or wrench a couple times and try again....Had to do that after school for a month or so before I got a new on
Reminds me of my buddy smacking his headlight with a fist a couple of times getting the light to make a connection. It worked and I laughed at him for not just buying a new headlight but that same week it came in handy when my headlight went out.
Back when most everything had big round sealed beams.
Old 04-18-2012, 07:06 PM   #258
JRANGER

HAHA!! That reminds me of when i was driving around my dads 85 TA....When the light doesnt pop up pop the hood and hit the light motor!! lol

If you dont see it, we tend to hit stuff a lot lol
JRANGER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 08:18 PM   #259
Mike Bradbury

Oven cleaner will remove the clear anodizing from your aluminum grill and side trim. I used this to polish my front grill, Only problem is that it will be suseptible to oxidation and regular pollishing is necessary, Better than an old dingy grill though.

Project: Barn Raising http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=414961

Project: 30 Be Low https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=830583
Mike Bradbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 08:41 PM   #260
Mike Bradbury

Here is one that has recently had a little controversy thanks to the internet. I use brake cleaner for all kinds of degreasing and cleaning jobs. I have been a welder for 25 years and have used brake cleaner to degrease the metal prior to welding for years. When I heard of the dangers of its use I researched what was causing the danger. It is an active ingredient called Tetracloroethylene. This must be a really old article because I looked at my can of the same brand that I have used for years and it was not on the ingredient listing. Maybe it was removed and replaced with another ingredient. Anyway the stuff evaporates so fast it would be difficult to weld when it was still in its liquid state.

It works great for blasting off grease before painting.

If you get ball point pen on your shirt or your couch or some other fabric it takes it out in a flash with out damaging the fabric. Be careful though it will damage the foam underneath the couch fabric so don’t just fire it right at the couch, but spray onto a towel and apply to the surface.

Old 04-18-2012, 08:47 PM   #261
Mike Bradbury

To guarantee good results in catching mice, put two traps side by side snapping toward the wall. Mice walk along the corner where the wall meets the floor, even if they are uninterested in the bait they will have to walk over the trap and it usually gets them, they are also carnivorous and will eat another mouse caught in a trap. If only one trap was snapped then the other will get the carnivore, I got three mice with two traps once

Old 04-28-2012, 11:02 PM   #262
CRGRS 66

Great thread, lots of helpful bits.

An oldie, but a goodie, surprised I haven't seen it yet... A golf tee is perfect for plugging a vacuum line in a pinch.

I have only been on here for a few weeks, love it!
CRGRS 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 09:11 PM   #263
CRGRS 66

Going to post this tip on what did you do yo your truck today as well, but here is a great tip to help your rad, and heater hoses last a little longer.

Go to your local industrial hose and fitting distributor and ask for hose clamps that are for silicone hose. Silicone hose is very soft (good for higher temps though), the clamps have an inner band that keeps the slots in the nand from damaging the outer cover of the hose.
Attached Images

My build thread, CRGRS 66 Winter Build: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...09#post5638709
Old 05-21-2012, 09:13 PM   #264
CRGRS 66

For your air ducting go to your local industrial hose supplier with the diameter you need, or a sample. If you tell them it is for your hot rod, they probably won't even charge you.

My build thread, CRGRS 66 Winter Build: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...09#post5638709
Old 05-21-2012, 11:43 PM   #265
midniteblues

I used these paper clips too hold the weather stripping around the top and sides of the door/jam/cab while the glue sets up real good.

A friend of mine had three of these disc wheel covers after loseing one. so we put knobs in the middle and use these for spraying tire dressing without making a mess on the wheel.(only works w/15" wheels though)

I also get 4x8 sheets of cardboard from lumber/plywood dealers I use two of these cut to fit perfectly on my bed floor to protect it while its being stored(most the time something will be in the bed)
Attached Images

'74 heald super bronc vt8. tecumseh powered moon rover.
midniteblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 07:11 PM   #266
MrSchaeferPants

This has been said, but I take it a step further. When you put all the nuts/bolts whatever in a bag and label it, I staple it to the wall, in order that I took it off. Keeps it out of the way, the bags don't get tossled around and rip. And would be especially good if you're taking a truck apart, and won't be putting it back together for a year. And if you do it in order, it'll help when it's 7 months later and you forgot what order you need to install a part if needed. Plus, it's garage art.

Ya it'll hold a bag full if you put a few staples in it.
Old 05-22-2012, 07:46 PM   #267
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

I like that idea. Now how do I staple to a metal wall?

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 08:40 PM   #268
MrSchaeferPants

Brad Nailer
Old 05-23-2012, 12:40 AM   #269
TennesseeZ
Countdown Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palf70Step View Post
I like that idea. Now how do I staple to a metal wall?
flat magnets

A MAN OF HONOR DOES NOT LIE, CHEAT, OR STEAL, NOR TOLERATE THOSE WHO DO.

Gettin' old ain't for sissies.
TennesseeZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 02:40 AM   #270
butch86

i got aggrivated at tightening the hard to get to sparkplugh under header tubes. so i took an elcheapo 5/8th wrench and cut the box end and ground the inside sorta smooth and open enough to weld a deep well 5/8th 12 point socket in it. i cut the deep well 12 point socket where the groves stop inside . that way its just like the box end of the wrench but it is 2 inches deeper. make sure you look at the wrench and weld the socket to it at a slight angle. if you dont just heat it up and bend it a lil in the direction you need it going.

that wrench will come in super handy in more than just doing sparkplugs. i have one in 13/16,1/2, and 9/16 as well.
Old 05-23-2012, 09:34 AM   #271
chevy_man5
GMC's n H.D.'s too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by butch86 View Post
i got aggrivated at tightening the hard to get to sparkplugh under header tubes. so i took an elcheapo 5/8th wrench and cut the box end and ground the inside sorta smooth and open enough to weld a deep well 5/8th 12 point socket in it. i cut the deep well 12 point socket where the groves stop inside . that way its just like the box end of the wrench but it is 2 inches deeper. make sure you look at the wrench and weld the socket to it at a slight angle. if you dont just heat it up and bend it a lil in the direction you need it going.

that wrench will come in super handy in more than just doing sparkplugs. i have one in 13/16,1/2, and 9/16 as well.

Sounds like a great idea, can you post a picture or two of it?

1960 GMC 4x4 Babe (the Blue Ox) - Build Thread
chevy_man5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 10:09 AM   #272
butch86

yeah i will shoot a pic or two tonight. everyone that i raced with that has seen it has built one
Old 05-25-2012, 01:31 PM   #273
RenoKeene
Florida Edition

Very interesting stuff here....
71 Serro Scotty Sportsman camper "Scotty"
97 LT1 Z28 "The Hornet"

Link to more pics of "Rose" http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...p?albumid=1684

Check out my "Cheap Tricks" thread and add to it if you can, lots of good info there. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=489394
RenoKeene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 04:00 PM   #274
flashed

If like me ,you have carpenter bees boring holes everywhere in the exposed wood on your shop take a can of brake cleaner with the small tube inserted into the nozzle and spray into every hole you can find and they will fall out pretty quick. Wasp spray works too but its a lot more messy .
flashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 04:20 PM   #275
chevy_man5
GMC's n H.D.'s too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by butch86 View Post
yeah i will shoot a pic or two tonight. everyone that i raced with that has seen it has built one

Hey Butch86, don't think you can promise us pictures, then back out!! I'm pretty sure that is against the rules around here. LOL

1960 GMC 4x4 Babe (the Blue Ox) - Build Thread
chevy_man5 is offline   Reply With Quote