The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-21-2018, 11:06 AM   #3426
CraigRK

Re: Grizz's Redneck Express 1966 Chevy Short Fleetside RESTO-GO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizz1963 View Post
Hopefully Craig will come in and post a photo of his favourite bargain purchase and photo plus description of it.

I may just add that he is a keen Coca Cola collector too.
Hey all,

I've gone a bit quiet as I'm back to work and as you all know I tend to be a quiet when working as I seem to expend all my energy there.

As @Grizz said above, I love coke things. I doubt I'd qualify as a collector, but I certainly have the odd thing or two (like fridges, signs, etc). Well I spotted this little beauty but it felt a bot expensive, so I dithered about it, and then eventually made an offer as part of the deal and bought it.

Truth be told, I didn't really know what I was buying, all would become clear two days later when I spotted another for a different price, in a different store, in a different town, in a different state (but that's another story!!).

I'll leave the story here for you guys to guess what it is. If you follow me on Facebook, then please don't cheat, rather leave it for others to guess.
The daily: Now a Ford Ranger Double Cab - First road trip here: https://bit.ly/2owS24d
GRIZZ, CRAIG and DENNIS’ 2018 Humdinger of a USA Road Trip: https://bit.ly/2Ca3jB4
CraigRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 04:22 PM   #3427
Grizz1963

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian113 View Post
Rian, I'm Sorry to hear about this! I know that your pets were precious to you and loved vey deeply. Ray
Coming to our visit to your home now, I can also add that you are equally attached to your family and even more to your pets Ray.

Thank you for sharing

Thank you Craig for the insert.

Looks like most people have stopped reading and responding.

Onward we travelled.

The further we went, the more the Silverado proved itself to be the right choice for this part of the road trip.

Comfy, tall, panoramic views and an eager, very eager motor.

Passing some beautiful farms and homesteads.

Then we rolled into Monroe. Iowa.

Ray had already started up the gas BBQ back home.

Greeted like friends, not strangers, Ray showed us around, his LS powered S10 license breaker, our camper where we had selected to sleep, in order to give us and them privacy.

Then the Dogs, both the Duke and Duchess.

And finally, though one cold not miss it.....

His 1966 Cadillac Coupe De Ville with well under 40k miles.

Next thing he offered it to me.

“Take it for a good ride, don’t be scared to drive it” he said to me next......

No need to offer again. Pretty cool to be headed out in an iconic car less than half an hour after landing at our latest host.

After I came back, the car had left me gushing like a teenager at her favourite teen idols music concert, this land yacht was just so smooth, and the massive V8 just wafted along effortlessly. Craig took it for a drive too.

Both of us had silly grins on our return.

VIDEO. CLICK LINK.

https://youtu.be/3vv6EP3DIE0

After unpacking, settling in and enjoying the dogs, we had dinner, before Eve got home, well, really as she got home.

Those pork chops were just crazy good. Nothing like fresh, homewrown food.
The potato salad had me reaching over three times to load up again.

We relaxed, all of us just having such a good time.

I have to say publically that Ray is a lucky man (Eve probably a lucky girl) that he has a wife who is a nurse,but also has a natural mothering tendency.
She could not do enough for Craig and I.

The dogs were very settled, and little Duchess had formed some attachment to Craig, weird that.

After a good nights sleep in the massive camper, we showered etc.
Coming back into the house to breakfast and cake.....

What??

I hear you say.

Yup, Eve had baked us a cinnamon cake in the oven for breakfast as well.

My kinda girl for sure.

BUT THERE WAS A TRICK UP HER SHORT LITTLE SLEEVE.

We both had two pieces.

Then she innocently asked us if we knew why she had fed us cake for breakfast

We had both been bitten repeatedly by mosquitoes at Andy and other places, plus my back had been biting and bugging me since before we left 5e UK.

Seems cinnamon has anti inflammatory properties.

Thanks Eve.

So what do you do in the middle of Iowa??

Antiques of course.

So we headed out to the car.

Camper and Silverado in the background, as well as Eves work car with Ray loving his car.

And with his little pocket rocket, who is 5’2” tall or is that short, but larger than life.

He also built her a custom Harley.

When they ended up with a family of four daughters and the two of them, he added a sidecar for two to his bike, Eve took one on the back of her bike and they had two in the side car, one on the rear of his bike.........

Sturgis is their yearly fix.

Then we set off.

These American motorways really suit this car down to a T.

CLICK LINK FOR VIDEO.

https://youtu.be/PG5rdNF_qN0

CAR IN ITS ELEMENT.

Loved these signs, they are REAL America and indicated we had made it to places only seen in movies for most of us

50 miles later, windows down in the fresh morning air, via a detour to show us more of downtown Des Moines Ray brings to beast to a halt in a carpark outside the Brass Armadillo

This car is a dream.

This is antique store Central.

I do hope those of you still following and actually reading the words, will also enjoy the next photodump of random photos from inside the shop.

Well, it’s more of a massive warehouse with sublet shops and tenants inside.
Grizz1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 05:37 PM   #3428
Grizz1963

Parked up in Des Moines, I was once again surprised, but it had become the norm, by how. Ray just left the Caddy open, windows all down, unlocked. (We were inside the antique shop for hours)

In many countries this would just not happen.

So we all had things we were looking for.

Ray was looking for rest, he has a back that kills him, due to shall we say a misspent youth, or life in general and he had a booking for his back to be treated the next week.

Eve was looking for gifts for her children.

Craig........... ?? The guy was hunting beaver, not shaved. And a few other things.

Grizz.....? Well, I needed nothing, but was still looking for some real, used, and good looking horse riding spurs or even just one, to hang on my mantle piece over the fireplace and some other random stuff, including Strawberry Depression glass for Debbie our hostess in St Louis for her birthday as she collects it. It’s both expensive and reasonably rare, but every now and then you find some for sale.

Wikipedia says:

Much depression glass is uranium glass. The Quaker Oats Company, and other food manufacturers and distributors, put a piece of glassware in boxes of food, as an incentive to purchase. Some movie theaters and businesses handed out pieces to patrons.

Most of this glassware was made in the Ohio River Valley of the United States, where access to raw materials and power made manufacturing inexpensive in the first half of the twentieth century. More than twenty manufacturers made more than 100 patterns, and entire dinner sets were made in some patterns. Common colors are clear (crystal), pink, pale blue, green, and amber. Less common colors include yellow (canary), ultramarine, jadeite (opaque pale green), delphite (opaque pale blue), cobalt blue, red (ruby and royal ruby), black, amethyst, monax, and white (milk glass).

Although of marginal quality, Depression glass has been highly collectible since the 1960s. Due to its popularity as a collectible,[1] it is becoming more scarce on the open market. Rare pieces may sell for several hundred dollars. Some manufacturers continued to make popular patterns after World War II, or introduced similar patterns, which are also collectible. Popular and expensive patterns and pieces have been reproduced, and reproductions are still being made.

So time for another PHOTODUMP.

First blood went to Eve, she found a beaver for Craig.

His wife, Lorraine is very active in scouting and works with the beavers. They were looking for a totem.
Yes, you are right.....

This is a girly Beaver.

But it was booked for gender reassignment before it even boarded the plane for England.

Coke collectors

Remember 1.5 liter glass bottles, returned for a deposit

Interesting plate, no, I did not buy it.

Wonder what it was reserved for.

Smoking pipes, which I still collect, were available at just about every place we went looking.
They maintain a decent price too.

U.K. prices have dropped or stagnated

Did you notice the spurs on the top shelf?

Yup, quite a few pairs about.

Sadly, some appear to be reproductions, and others were just too costly for the use I have planned for them.
Old 09-21-2018, 06:13 PM   #3429
Grizz1963

Bugger!!!!

Bloody iPad just deleted a 20 photo post including notes.

I hate it some days.

Ready for bed now.
Old 09-22-2018, 07:56 AM   #3430
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

These darn fangle computer thingies! Good seeing more posts. I would need a much larger hauling vehicle (and money) if I visited all these souvenir places you guys have.
Really enjoying the pictures Rian and Craig

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 08:11 AM   #3431
Grizz1963

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palf70Step View Post
These darn fangle computer thingies! Good seeing more posts. I would need a much larger hauling vehicle (and money) if I visited all these souvenir places you guys have.
Really enjoying the pictures Rian and Craig
Trust me.....

If I lived and worked in the USA which of course I would love, I would be a hoarder for sure.

Well, I am sooo pisssed off now, third time the Internet has reloaded itself and deleted a load of writing for a new posting that I had done, every time I just write less and less.

Now trying on Notes on the iPad.

Long winded and a PITA.

So these massive antiques warehouses have vendors rent space by the square foot, and whatever they do in that space is their choice.
Some, like the guy below has a few stalls, catering to different markets, so Cowboy and Western mixed with automotive and farm, as well as fine antiques and records and music etc.

They often offer discounts that range between 25% and 75% before taxes, but it all helps.

He had this spur trophy for $25.00 which when I asked about the discount at the front desk, I got told discounts only start at $30.00
Needless to say, I returned it in principle after venting my spleen at them for misleading and incomplete advertising.
I still want a real working spur(s).

Counter girl,had some cool tattoos, including this one. (No selfie this time)

Back to business.....

All sorts of random stuff, I liked this, but too long for baggage and I already had the 9th street sign for me garden.

We all looked out for stuff for each other too, and WhatsApp and the free WiFi in the shop (most shops have free WiFi now) helped us shoot pics of finds back and forth.

Craig found this flag.........

Know where it is from???

$60.00 Tuba?

Beautiful spurs.....

Pricey though.

Stunning toy, and rare too.

Shop stool, presumably from a shoe shop.

Beautiful and cheap saddles, but too bulky for hand baggage

Many many of these streets, this is not even the full length of one.

Read the description

I love a Stetson hat, would love a new or used one, in my size.

This was too small.

My mate Kevin Woodsie collects all forms of measuring sticks and equipment, he may have had a small trouser accident here.

Random stuff.

Found some stalls with a small selection of Strawberry Depression Glass.

One handled bowl, unusual.

More spurs.

I managed to find two pieces of Strawberry glass for Debbie, which like many other items on the trip, Craig and I went halves on. He is the IT guy and kept a few spreadsheets running, mainly for his own mental health, not at all for financial concern.

Also found a tiny little horse bit, look at it compared to the one I already had here at home.

And when I got to the counter to pay, the tattoo girl told me that the vendor who owned the Spur trophy was in the shop and prepared to do a deal.

To me, the willingness to do a deal was irresistible, so I went back into the shop and found him at his second stall and said I was the spur guy, he then walked back to his first stall with me and took the item, changed the ticket to $18.00 which meant it cost me under $20.00 so I bought it as well.

The girls wrapped all the pieces carefully and we left the shop, Craig with his bounty, and Eve empty handed, to find Ray out front on the porch.

Back into the Caddy and onto the motorway by 1.30pm as we still needed to get home, pack and head for Le Claire to the American Pickers shop which for me was a bit of a bucket list, pilgrimage, box ticking exercise. Craig and I had done a lot of debating about doing another 300 mile detour in the last week, but agreed to go in the end.

We did make a motorway stop before heading back to Monroe to say goodbye and hit the road with a vengeance, tempered only by the fear of motorway policing.
Old 09-22-2018, 10:37 AM   #3432
Grizz1963

Back to the service station.

Seen them before, but continue to make me smile. Spoke to the driver too, steering on the right for postal deliveries to post boxes on sidewalks.

Engine he said is 4 cylinder from S10 Chevy.

Coffee dilemma

And No.....

I did not buy it.

Though patriotism is visible everywhere on the road, this one seen a while later on our way after our good byes.

Ray and Eve at the services, two incredibly genuine people, Craig and I both regretted having to leave so soon, a week would have been good with them.

Back at Rays a couple more pics.

I am sorry we did not get around to seeing him abuse his favourite toy, the “License Loser” S10

I like S10 Chevys

Rays standard Blue Heritage with fairing as he likes his music.

Eve’s 100 ci 6 speeder and a hopped up cam, ign and and head work with 200 rear tire in black and white that he custom built for her short 5’2” frame as she likes to go fast, she called it the Renegade. It’s my favourite looker.

So once we had said all our goodbyes, it was off to the motorway with Wayz guiding us.

This Silverado is light on gas, really light and we decided to fill it up about 60 miles down the road as Adam had told us to bring it home on empty, or as close to empty as possible....... not the kind of thing Craig and I would normally do, rather full up and after a wash. But working back he calculated that this would land us back near empty.

So we pulled in and I was filling the truck when he came over with a stupid grin, saying to me “You cannot say no, you cannot refuse and you certainly cannot return it” “Seriously”
So taken aback, I asked him what he was talking about.
So he pulled out model of an AD Chevy like the trucks he has at home and said “Ray gave me this to add to my collection of other I bought already and he sent you a gift too but you cannot refuse”

#Gobsmacked....

Touched and choked up at the pumps.

This is like giving away your first born in Hotrodding to me.

Taken from his 1931 Ford Tudor Sedan when he traded it for the Caddy as a momento, this to me is a bigger gift than one should ever accept, but the rules were made and read for me and I had no say in it.

The trip that keeps giving, had just blown my mind.

I called Ray from the truck on my mobile to say Thank You and to bollock him for the size of this gift, which in my view was just too much.

First thing he did was laugh and laugh at me, then made it clear that he had had his fun and had less use for it now, than I would have for it as an ornament in my house.
It was going to go into my study where I can enjoy seeing and touching it.

Thank you again Ray.

You guys rocked for us.

After filling up, we joined the main motorway and headed South.

Toward Le Claire.

Old 09-22-2018, 12:46 PM   #3433
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 06:40 PM   #3434
Grizz1963

Well.

What can I say??

Got to American Pickers the Television programmes shop in Le Claire at 5.30 and had 30 minutes to look around.

Simply put.....

100% Disappointing

Very pretty, clean, tidy, and just like it looks on telly....l

Loved this piece of art.

Old photos $5.00 each.

More coming.
Old 09-22-2018, 06:53 PM   #3435
Grizz1963

More.

Prices for branded stuff.

I was disappointed but we know it is reality television which has no reality.

Yeahhhhhhh Riiiigghht.

Love this

Old 09-22-2018, 07:28 PM   #3436
Grizz1963

I really love these plaques.

If I had thought about it, I would have asked Andy to help me make one.

Sucker pricing.

Bargain

So,

In summary, this was a bucket list visit, based on great television and expectations.

We made a significant detour, short changed friends who we could have given a second evening to, as we had such limited time to wrap up and complete our Roadtrip

My personal experience, after all the other junk and antique stores on this trip, it sucked big time.

There is none, and I mean none of the actual magic created by the programme to be found in the two buildings, housing personal collections with NFS labels, a few random, over priced imho items for sale and a bunch of mementos, none of which would impress me, if you brought me one home. And look closely at the prices, hmmmmmm.
Even the staff are purely functional, and I suspect not on six figure pay packets.

The rest rooms though, are clean and tidy.

I will continue to watch and enjoy the programmes, but if you want to know the truth, don’t ask me, ask Google or Wikipedia.

We were out the shop before closing time so less than 30 minutes in all.

The local police officer was more entertaining, informative and inviting.....

Super cool guy who out Norris’ Chuck Norris.

Bed time.
Old 09-22-2018, 11:09 PM   #3437
flashed

Their Nashville store is the same , 10 minutes and I was done . Your friends had some cool toys ,loved the Caddy best . Love all the antique shops you visited , one of my things to kill time .
flashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 01:08 AM   #3438
CraigRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashed View Post
Their Nashville store is the same , 10 minutes and I was done . Your friends had some cool toys ,loved the Caddy best . Love all the antique shops you visited , one of my things to kill time .
Thought it would be...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtviva
Great update and some nice finds, its always good too bring back stuff that will always remind you of that trip, what happened under Craigs nose? don't remember seeing that before you guys went!
As Rian said, feeble attempt at a Burt Reynolds tribute...

Quote:
Originally Posted by grizz
Well.

What can I say??

Got to American Pickers the Television programmes shop in Le Claire at 5.30 and had 30 minutes to look around.

Simply put.....

100% Disappointing

Very pretty, clean, tidy, and just like it looks on telly....l
Quote:
Originally Posted by grizz

So,

In summary, this was a bucket list visit, based on great television and expectations.

We made a significant detour, short changed friends who we could have given a second evening to, as we had such limited time to wrap up and complete our Roadtrip

My personal experience, after all the other junk and antique stores on this trip, it sucked big time.

There is none, and I mean none of the actual magic created by the programme to be found in the two buildings, housing personal collections with NFS labels, a few random, over priced imho items for sale and a bunch of mementos, none of which would impress me, if you brought me one home. And look closely at the prices, hmmmmmm.
Even the staff are purely functional, and I suspect not on six figure pay packets.

The rest rooms though, are clean and tidy.

I will continue to watch and enjoy the programmes, but if you want to know the truth, don’t ask me, ask Google or Wikipedia.

We were out the shop before closing time so less than 30 minutes in all.
To re-iterate, this was a joint assessment.  The reality of it was that we had set our expectations low (very low) and we were still disappointing.  This store is nothing more than a place to buy some overpriced souvenirs and be able to say you were there.

That said, I don't regret going there as I would always have wondered and the route meant seeing some different places and meeting some more people (Like Office "Norris" above). I would though have happily spent some more time with Ray & Eve instead.
The daily: Now a Ford Ranger Double Cab - First road trip here: https://bit.ly/2owS24d
GRIZZ, CRAIG and DENNIS’ 2018 Humdinger of a USA Road Trip: https://bit.ly/2Ca3jB4
Old 09-23-2018, 01:34 AM   #3439
CraigRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigrk

Truth be told, I didn't really know what I was buying, all would become clear two days later when I spotted another for a different price, in a different store, in a different town, in a different state (but that's another story!!).

I'll leave the story here for you guys to guess what it is. If you follow me on Facebook, then please don't cheat, rather leave it for others to guess.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 76 View Post
Coca Cola reusable ice cube???

The trip looks epic guys, Thanks for sharing, I've enjoyed
Nice try, but I'm afraid not...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrod rick View Post
ive had one of them before, came in a tobacco related collection i brought once, i wont say what it is lets see if others know.
There's in clue in here folks!!!
Old 09-23-2018, 06:27 AM   #3440
Grizz1963

Quote:
Agreed.

And I think most people would find it the same, but that’s fine too.

Generates income for smaller businesses in small towns like Le Claire.

Ray, with the Caddy and Eve with the 65 C10Stepper of course, is Indian113 on here.

Like so many of our friends on the forums, generous to a fault and real,stand up people.

They make these trips worth doing, and some 300-500 mile days easy.

[quote author="@gtviva" source="/post/2449081/thread" timestamp="1537692595"]Great read as always, cant believe the trip was over so quickly!

Its a shame the American Pickers thing was a disappointment but like you say at least you've done it![/quote]

As Craig said,

Wait for the next day.........

It will never be Gas Monkey Garage like in 2015 where we got to spend three hours with Aaron and some of the other guys, but a box ticked after a lot of deliberation as we are both big fans of the programme and will continue to be so.

We had a grand day in Hannibal after saying good bye to officer “Norris” who certainly is a great Ambassador for Le Claire and Policing.

Brekkie then more updates.

I had a visitor till very late last night.
Old 09-23-2018, 08:18 AM   #3441
Grizz1963

Seven states in two weeks.

Possibly more than some Americans do in a lifetime.

So we crossed the Mighty Mississippi once again and drifted into Illinois

We headed up to the tourist welcome centre and rest area some time after 6.30pm

Like every one of them we had seen on this trip, they are large, clean, well equipped and actually welcoming.
I really enjoy this feature of the USA

Looking back at Iowa, over the bridge we had just crossed.

Once we were done there, it was near 7.00pm and we still had a long way to go, into the sunset to get to Macomb, our planned stopover for the night.

It would be the first and only night on this trip that it was just Craig and I, kinda weird as we had become so spoiled being in great company every day and night the last two weeks.

The trucks windscreen was showing the signs of the many miles we had covered thus far, and taking photos into the setting sun was just not successful, though the scenery as on most of the trip, this time of day was actually beautiful, with farmsteads, machinery and architecture passing us by while we tried to ignore the glare of the setting sun.
After using the washer and wipers, the view was even worse and possibly even dangerous

Making it to Macomb, which is a University town, we tried the Super 8 Motel, but it was full up, the receptionist was very sweet, a former gymnast, which was very apparent by her posture, shape and looks, she was surprised when I asked her if she was a gymnast at school as to how I knew. Simple observation really.

So no bed there, she suggested we drive a few miles across and over town to another area with some hotels and restaurants, which of course we did, by now it was dark, so the Wayz Satnav and our free WiFi got us to the next area, seemingly newer and also upmarket from the Super 8 which we subsequently found out, did not get great reviews.

The first hotel we got to was fully booked as well, BUT.........

IN TYPICAL AMERICAN SERVICE INDUSTRY STYLE, THE RECEPTIONIST ASKED WHAT WE NEEDED, AND PROCEEDED TO CALL AND FIND OUT ABOUT AVAILABILITY ELSEWHERE.

Service excellence in practice.

I also got a cuddle and a selfie when Craig took the truck and headed off to see about tariffs and what was on offer at the next hotel, 300 meters away. Leaving me to say thank you, get the selfie and direct her to the site for the trip report.

Welcome to the Hampton Inn, part of the Hilton group.

Pricier, but clearly in a different class.

Parking up the truck, we unloaded once I walked over from the first hotel and got to our room

Because Craig is a Hilton Honors member, he also got a discounted rate on the room, based on just supplying his email address. So much for loyalty schemes. Free money is good.

I think it is worth posting the room, cannot recall the cost, but under $120.00 for the night, and included a decent breakfast, help from staff and a secure carpark.

And a rather sweet welcome.

Little touches that are noticed.

After a bit of a false start, looking for a place to eat, as we were getting hungry now, we found our way down the road and over to the other side to a well camouflaged Buffalo Wild Wings for dinner.
Typical Sports Bar, Student hang out, where the beer was cold, the waitresses hot and the wings even hotter.

Mikayla looked after us and ensured we even had desert after our deceptively large plates of food.
Wings really is a speciality where ever we went in the USA and I found myself passing up on burgers and pizza time after time, to try various versions, flavours and combos of wings.

Not a fight or a frown up to this point.

Certainly worth toasting the trip so far.

Mild for Craig, mixed hot and Teriyaki for me.

Portions are deceptive and some places the “drummy” section of the wings were larger than some restaurant drumsticks.

After dinner, paying and heading out, I saw this poster on the wall......

Wonder if it was a chicken on its way to the kitchen.

Late to bed, we had a lazy start planned as we wanted to get to Hannibal in time for the businesses to open, via a detour Craig had planned along the way.
Old 09-23-2018, 10:00 AM   #3442
Grizz1963

Woke up, showered, checked internet and forums the next morning.

Filled the cooler with fresh Free hotel ice as Craig had filled it the night before to prime the sodas and beers (unused) and took it and our small traveling backpacks down to the truck to pack it up.
All our stuff, untouched as expected, but still such a different experience to South Africa, England and possibly many other places.
The parts of the USA that I have travelled now, keep my head and heart in a great place when it comes to this sort of thing.

Remember what I said about chatting to all and sundry?

When we got up and saw how very dirty the glass and mirrors were on the truck, I went in search of some help. Craig got the truck packed etc.

I spoke to a gent in the kitchen, from the Philippines, he was in charge of the kitchen and catering in the hotel.
So once I explained what I needed, he gave me a large wad of industrial strength paper towel with some dishwashing liquid on it to remove the bug wax and brains from the screen, plus a large bucket of fresh water.

Nimble as an acrobat, Craig was straight up (thankfully, because my knackered back had not really let up at all, since leaving England and we were almost headed back)

So between us we washed all the glass and I dried the side windows and mirrors.

Then returned the bucket, and headed for breakfast where the coffee and smell of waffles was calling us in.

All secure and ready to roll.

Right

I think some of you know me reasonably well.

I really do speak to anyone.

Back in the restaurant I saw a challenge, well not really a challenge, but certainly an opportunity.

As I was getting my Froot Loops cereal for brekkie......

In walked an Amish family with their daughter looking just like the stereotypical view we have of them.
I made eye contact with the husband and told him his daughter was absolutely gorgeous, which he accepted.
Obviously there followed a 15 minute conversation between us, the wife respectfully off to the side, but still part of the conversation, and that 4-5 year old, showing the most incredible restraint I may ever have seen in a young child. Most kids would be bored and unpleasant after less than 5 minutes.
They were really interested in our motivations for travelling the roads less travelled as well.
Turns out they and another couple were headed city ways for business and had overnighted in the hotel too.
They are part of the US part of the Happy Egg company and supply a lot of the eggs we get in the U.K. as well.
After wishing each other well on our travels, we all had breakfast while the one went on his mobile for a telephone call and the other presumably worked on emails.

What a refreshing start to my day.

After breakfast we headed out onto the road and for Craig’s mission.

US style “Transit” roadworks trucks.

We did contemplate hijacking this truck for Dennis’ Shell Gas Station project.

Rolling along the Hiway, we eventually found Craig’s target exit and drove into......

Of course his Wife Lorraine had allowed him to head out on the trip with me.
So a tribute would be fitting, despite the spelling and detour which proved to be interesting.
Every village has some vintage trucks and cars to show.
Here there was. Great 1930’s Ford and obvious S10donor parked near a business on some land, but I did not want to just walk in and take photos.

Loved this bit of yard art, he had loads more displayed.

And as mentioned before, restrooms are all free, clean and available in even the smallest establishments.
So before heading out to the motorway we stopped here.

Back into Missouri

Rolling into Hannibal, it became apparent what it was famed for.

Loads of classic and vintage cars here, used as daily and drivers it seems, speaking to owners.

We stopped in the street outside the Mark Twain tourist and information centre and I went in to use the restrooms and also to find out about parking tariffs and limitations as we do try respect the rules.

All parking is free, all day for you was the reply.

So we parked the truck with all of the stuff on and in the rear loaded and went off looking for stuff.

This is certainly another two day town, or possibly more.

So much to see and do.
Old 09-23-2018, 10:04 AM   #3443
Indian113

Rian, It seems as You have a way to find All kinds of Pretty Ladies! Eve and I appreciate the kind words and really enjoyed our time we spent with you and Craig. It humbles me that so many people like my Caddy as I thought I was one of Few to feel the way I do about it. I have met many people on this Forum and haven't been disappointed yet, we all have many things in common one of which is our Love for Vehicles mainly Trucks. Thanks Again for making our Home one of " The Stops" on your Tour of the Midwest. You guy's are always welcome to stop by again! Ray and Eve
Indian113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 11:29 AM   #3444
Grizz1963

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian113 View Post
Rian, It seems as You have a way to find All kinds of Pretty Ladies! Eve and I appreciate the kind words and really enjoyed our time we spent with you and Craig. It humbles me that so many people like my Caddy as I thought I was one of Few to feel the way I do about it. I have met many people on this Forum and haven't been disappointed yet, we all have many things in common one of which is our Love for Vehicles mainly Trucks. Thanks Again for making our Home one of " The Stops" on your Tour of the Midwest. You guy's are always welcome to stop by again! Ray and Eve
Thank you Ray, Eve and the babies for welcoming us in and back.

The Caddy is loved on all the forums I post on.

PS. Yes I do love women, old and young.
Old 09-23-2018, 11:31 AM   #3445
Grizz1963

Tourist mode.

This town has so much to offer.

History, friendship, friendly people, shop keepers that actually want your business, who will talk to you and listen to you.

Craig got the bulk of the conversations done on this day.

We passed a couple of shops and saw things, pretty things.

Quilting is not my thing, but I certainly get it and was glad to see it is still alive here.
Beats walking into a shop and buying new clothes and soft furnishings.
The fabrics and their colour vibrancy caught me eye.

Next shop we walked into was small, cluttered, filled with the most random of stuff, but would offer most people something interesting to look at, touch or buy.

While Craig and I were discussing the little bat, above, a lady overheard our double accents and enquired about origins etc.
So started another 30 minute conversation with a stranger, after a bit Craig moved on to look at the shop content, a mix of real antiques and tourist niknaks.
I carried on speaking with Lee, our new friend and Craig made an interesting discovery when he saw a newspaper article dated 2014

With Lee, whose identity will be further protected. Lovely, intelligent and friendly St Louis lady.

The newspaper article quoted “Shop Owner celebrates 95th Birthday”
And below it a write up and photo of a lady.

Craig realised that the lady who was behind the counter, was Ila May Dimmitt, owner of Show me Antiques and Gifts. And so ensued another long conversation.

She was now 99 years old and still ran the shop single handedly.
Seems pretty much everyone around her had passed since losing her husband in 1974.
For her the shop was not making money as it used to, but it certainly beat seeing doctors, psychiatrists or various other costly therapies of old age.
Work is what keeps,her alive.

What an awesome young lady she turned out to be, and absolutely charming.in the most Southern of ways.

Her business card, which people do not throw away.

Back on the street, the next shop had another very interesting widow shopkeeper who owns two Toyota Prius cars, but told us all about her wild driving life and being caught many times for speeding over the years and walking away from every event, free.

Fun safety.

Pic taken for Craig’s daughter Elli.

Provisions.

Randomness abounds.

Remember the Strawberry Depression Glass?

Well, here is a much much rarer variation.

Green.

Studebaker truck, clearly 100% working truck.

Back,to tourist stuff.

We carried on
Poking at shops, cars, architecture, all the usual,stuff, then walked down a side street toward the railway lines.

Another antique shop mall where loads of sellers have stalls.

Outside on a bench was seated the counter girl, having a cigarette, chatting to a guy.
So we asked if the shop was open, yes it was, just finishing my cigarette, where are you from?
Many conversations had started thus.
So we started to,chat to her and Male companion who was just passing by, but knew her.
Next thing he disappears into the carpark over the street and comes back from a new Camaro (I think it was) with two Indianapolis Speedway stickers, one each for Craig and me.
Of course you accept, carry on chatting, show photos of our cars, trucks etc, and he shows his stuff, looks like his l60 years had been spent on the NASCAR roadshow, knows a lot of people, built some cars etc.
“How Long you still going to be here?” He asked next, so we said no more than an hour.
OK he says, it takes me 20 minutes to get home and back in that there car, I have something to give you both.
We tried to protest, but it is also rude to do that.
So we agreed to come back before heading out.

Came back later and he was there with the bag of goodies for us, that Craig was carrying below, from Allen Vince.

Random Acts of Kindness.

Unpacked the bag, only when we got back at Dennis’ place.

This is crazy, we all give gifts, but some of the stuff in the bag is limited edition, collectors grade stuff.

From a complete stranger, who likes cars and the same stuff we like.

LIFE IS GOOD.

Really random, this show was an artists shop, and had awesome stuff.

Mermaid anyone?

Geo-Caching is big across the USA as well.

Seen on our way back to the truck.

The reference is to the local Hannibal Tourist board.

Once we started to get out of town, we passed this guy, he also had been in town and was now bombing along the motorway.

Perfect.

Advertising is big.

The rest of the trip back to Dennis and Debbie’s place was uneventful.

We had lunch on the run, sodas from the cooler box and a party sized pack of Cheetos.

Perfect.

When we got home, the dogs and Debbie’s mum were all equally pleased to see us.

The unpacking done, Craig in typically organised style pulled the Challenger out, that he still needed to take for a drive, so as to tick that rather awesome box.

In its place though, inside the garage.....

The party pooper that he is, he laid out all our purchases from the last two weeks, that till now we had just tossed on an ever growing pile in the garage.
Thank you for that mate.

This created a feeling of dread, mixed with panic as I realised we were both potentially in trouble

More later.

Time for a walk.
Old 09-23-2018, 02:57 PM   #3446
Grizz1963

Been putting company work off all weekend.

Online training etc with deadline tonight.

Once we unloaded the steel furniture. We set up the glider and rocker plus shell backed chairs on the deck for Dennis to come home to.

Also took my cleaned up, hole filled mail box back to the woods behind the main shop, this is the second year I have left it behind, along with two pairs of shoes, good trainers and garden trainers.

At last Craig managed to drive the Challenger too.

I also found some replacement stickers inside the race shop for Prozac as a few have died the last two years.

When Dennis came in, he had brought me another plate for my collection.

We showed him the prezzie sand he seemed to like them, a lot.

So we sat down and drank beer and had a long evening discussing the world and our road trip.
Old 09-24-2018, 02:39 PM   #3447
Grizz1963

Yates from Oskaloosa......

Quote:
Originally Posted by yates View Post
I wanted to tell you that you would be disappointed but didn't want to be that guy, lol.

So i told Rian I would post up some links but i will keep it brief as i am not here to promote a brand.

I was disappointed we didn't have any over the top builds going on as we normally do at this time for sema.

Company started out as a repair shop for agriculture so tractors, combines, etc. The founder along the way made some pretty big inventions like the tracks still used on John Deere tractors, corn reels for combines, and self propelled square baler. The founder bought a ram truck many years ago and hated the ride so developed an air suspension. Que in his son whom took over the day to day and focused on the air suspension side and took them to the next level.

We now specialize in 3/4 ton and up trucks from stock height to lifted applications on pickups, ambulances, shuttle busses, tow trucks, vacuum trucks, etc.

Two trucks that i built for sema, the white one for 2013 and the grey for 2014.

I thought there was a few videos on the piece of machinery Craig posed with but i may be mistaken, here is a link to the ag related portion https://kelderman.com/specialty/agriculture/.

Any questions let me know and i can expand on it.
Old 09-27-2018, 11:55 AM   #3448
Grizz1963

Question asked elsewhere.

America is a big country.

Old 09-27-2018, 07:51 PM   #3449
flashed

So was the hand held Coke Bottle a cigarette lighter ?
flashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 03:20 AM   #3450
Grizz1963

Quote:
So was the hand held Coke Bottle a cigarette lighter ?
Correct.

Thursday after brekkie from Debbie, and checking what else we needed,we headed back to O’Fallon to see Dennis’ mum n dad.

As we missed them over the weekend and Craig needed to see their collection of nice stuff.

Halloween is big here.

As are the Catterpilars

This is a real man cave, the garage.

Great use for an old cast off painters ladder in the lounge.

More in a bit.