The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-12-2005, 09:12 PM   #1
llegos

4X4 to 2WD conversion

yes i realize there is an existing thread by here, but I dont want to steal it, and I have a very specific question....If i were to get a 4WD blazer, could I convert it 2WD using something like the Fatman fabrications IFS kit? and would a bagged 4 link take care of the rear? Are the frames that much diffent, and would I need to modify the frame other than maybe need to drill a couple holes?
Old 12-13-2005, 02:50 PM   #2
70rs/ss

Re: 4X4 to 2WD conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by llegos
yes i realize there is an existing thread by here, but I dont want to steal it, and I have a very specific question....If i were to get a 4WD blazer, could I convert it 2WD using something like the Fatman fabrications IFS kit? and would a bagged 4 link take care of the rear? Are the frames that much diffent, and would I need to modify the frame other than maybe need to drill a couple holes?

You can take a front cross member/suspension cradle from a 67-early 80's and drill and bolt it up, unless you want the fatman setup. As for the back, you can just leave the leafs there or fab up a four link if you so desire. It is a relatively easy convo, depending on how much you want to change.
70rs/ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 07:51 PM   #3
llegos

well, i figure if i went with the fatman kit, its not TOO much money, and it had airbags like i would want, i think it would use the same parts as any 5 lug chevy, and has rack and pinion and all. Because i would be goin with bags, i think a 4 link would be best. Thanks for the info. Also, does anyone know if the fatman kit does use parts like ECE in that if you as for parts for your '72 that they will fit in for replacement?
Old 12-13-2005, 08:04 PM   #4
bagged74
its just $$$$$

The Fatman kit uses mustang 2 style parts. You pretty much wont be using replacement truck parts on it. You can do a stock style crossmember way way cheaper even if you modify it.
bagged74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 08:08 PM   #5
llegos

yea, that was the thing about the fatman kit, was that its not for more daily type things...which is what i would be doing. Ok, so if i got a set of strong arms, bags, and drop spindles, what else would I need to get it on the frame? In the rear would a bagged 4 link with a nice notch get me there?
Old 12-13-2005, 11:10 PM   #6
bagged74
its just $$$$$

if you are really that concerned with "laying frame" you should probably Z the front.
bagged74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 12:04 AM   #7
llegos

yea, i was thinking about that. What all has to be Z'ed? do i still need a drop crossmember if im gonna Z it?