The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-11-2003, 10:50 PM   #1
sixnine
Longtime Member

Unhappy Different types of wheel cylinders?

Hey all, I'm in the middle of a complete drum brake rebuild (all 4 corners) on my '69 C10 LWB Fleet and have ran into a problem. The wheel cylinders on the rear are of a different type than on the front. The local parts store says it should be the same all the way around. I suspect that one of the many previous owners put a different rear end under the truck. I know the rear end is a posi, and it still has 6 lugs. Have any of you ran in to this problem before, different wheel cylinders front to back? I haven't taken any pictures yet, but I am including a drawing. Can these 2 types of cylinders interchange even though they mount different?
Attached Images

1972 C10 Short Step -http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=261405
sixnine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2003, 12:22 AM   #2
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

You need a new parts store.
The one in your pic on the left is a rear one, the one on the right is a front one.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2003, 11:55 AM   #3
sixnine
Longtime Member

Thanks longhornmail. I long for the days when you could count on getting the right part the first time. Now days it seems that no matter where you go, the parts store or the local home improvement warehouse, the so called "department experts" either say, "I dunno...." or give you something not even close to what you need. Thanks again longhornmail.

1972 C10 Short Step -http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=261405
sixnine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2003, 12:42 AM   #4
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Go get a GMC with a 305 V-6...you want to see parts store guys scratch there heads...they will acuse you of smoking pot and look at you like you have a...ahem, male reproducteve organ, growing out of your forehead.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote