The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-13-2016, 04:00 PM   #2126
MacQuigley

Re: Grizz's Redneck Express 1966 Chevy Short Fleetside RESTO-GO!

Rian, Try playing about with the valves that deliver air and sand. You sometimes need to find tune these. Even with 270ltr of air I still have to wait for mine to "catch up". These do still use a hell of a lot of air.
MacQuigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 06:04 PM   #2127
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

I still have to learn mine, someday, I have one that works in conjunction with the pressure washer. I have seen folks use them with success, I just haven't gotten mine out of the box yet.

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 01:44 AM   #2128
Grizz1963

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacQuigley View Post
Rian, Try playing about with the valves that deliver air and sand. You sometimes need to find tune these. Even with 270ltr of air I still have to wait for mine to "catch up". These do still use a hell of a lot of air.
Thank you very much for the reply Bill.

I told Martin that there may be sweet spot in setting the four levers in the pot system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palf70Step View Post
I still have to learn mine, someday, I have one that works in conjunction with the pressure washer. I have seen folks use them with success, I just haven't gotten mine out of the box yet.
Ahhhhh yes, New tools in boxes, I have some of those too.

Still, discovering them later is fun too

Maybe I will have to rent a bigger unit, or depending on how mate Martin's comes out, I may take it in and spend the £250.00 to get it blasted and primed with two pack.

Mobile compressor.

No idea what markings on side mean.
Grizz1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 05:48 AM   #2129
ibrown50

If I were a betting man, I would say that the dates in the side of the receiver are inspection dates and at some point the reciever appears to have been rated at a safe working pressure of 50 psi
Old 06-14-2016, 12:25 PM   #2130
MacQuigley

Rian, Im also using mine at about 125psi. If yours is ponly 50 it may not be man enough and what Ive found happens is the delivery hose just fills with sand and clogs up.

I went OTT and bought the biggest compressor I could find that would run of a 240V supply, so now I HAVE to do this myself of my other half will bury me with the compressor!
MacQuigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 12:38 PM   #2131
Grizz1963

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibrown50 View Post
If I were a betting man, I would say that the dates in the side of the receiver are inspection dates and at some point the reciever appears to have been rated at a safe working pressure of 50 psi
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacQuigley View Post
Rian, Im also using mine at about 125psi. If yours is ponly 50 it may not be man enough and what Ive found happens is the delivery hose just fills with sand and clogs up.

I went OTT and bought the biggest compressor I could find that would run of a 240V supply, so now I HAVE to do this myself of my other half will bury me with the compressor!
Thanks guys.

Here is a posting I did in November 2013 when I got the compressor.

Looks like plan B is looming.

Fetched the compressor last night in mate Jon's VW T5 van.

What a heavy bit of kit, nearly killed the two of us to get it in the van, so we left it in the van last night and tonight after work Jon and Martin, along with myself got it out using a coupleof sections of pipe and a pait of scaffolding boards.

Too dark for pics in its temporary resting place.

So I just took a few pics of the plates on its various parts.

Seems it was built on 12 November 1973, so 40 years old.

1.5 bhp single phase electric motor

Air filter...... Made in England too.

Name says a lot.

Plans include getting some trolley wheels under it, cleanup and repaint, service.

Then use it for painting the truck and other jobs.
Old 06-14-2016, 06:13 PM   #2132
chad64chevy

cool compressor!! the pot blaster, I have one an will have to learn to use it cause all I did was blow walnut shells all over the driveway, with very little paint removed, lol
chad64chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 04:30 PM   #2133
Grizz1963

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad64chevy View Post
cool compressor!! the pot blaster, I have one an will have to learn to use it cause all I did was blow walnut shells all over the driveway, with very little paint removed, lol
Yes, I get that Chad.

If you look at that pic I posted, it's sand everywhere as well and no progress.

I did manage to reseal the rest of the paving out front yesterday, and used all the sand I has swept up after the test run.

One bag down, one more to try to set up the machine.

Bret has written some great advice on Garage Journal.

Just a quick question. Are you sifting the sand with some screen? Even the sand I buy at the home store I have to sift it as it has large stuff that clogs the nozzle. Also if you are not getting enough sand the valve at the bottom of the pot is what you use to adjust the sand volume. On mine I don't use the valve at the end of the hose like yours has. I turn it on from the valve going into the pot. If you don't have a deadman valve and try turning it off with the valve you have on the end of your hose it will always clog.

And I know it was mentioned about the cubic feet per minute. My compressor is around a 11cfm and I can blast continuously. But that all depends on what that blaster uses.

Been under the weather the last week, ended up in bed,Friday, started antibiotics.
Yesterday and today still slow motion, as everything makes me real tired and out of breath.

Today I got stir crazy by afternoon, so did a lazy job, sanded and prepped this coffee table for Nicola as it had pen damage, gouges etc and years of grime and wear, followed by an extended period in a garage before she got it for £9.99

Belt Sander, then hand sanded, followed by cleaning the grooves and keying the rest of the wood.

Three coats of clear varnish........

And a Catscan later.

A few other light yard jobs saw me get out and come indoors early.

So much for starting on my transmission this weekend.

Hopefully next week.
Old 06-19-2016, 04:50 PM   #2134
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

Nice work on the table Rian....Yeah sometime trucks get delayed, even though we don't like it.

Bill's Gallery
Old 06-20-2016, 07:25 AM   #2135
clemdaddy

hope you are feeling better. feeling poorly in the summer heat is the worst, zaps all your energy.

good to see you getting some stuff done even though.
i think that compressor is cool looking and definitely worth fixing up.

hey Rian, most of us don't want you to stray too far from the truck, thats the thing that connects us all. so, get back at it when you can...
clemdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 10:30 AM   #2136
65sub

Hope you're feeling better soon Rian. I look forward to the transmission work when you feel up to it
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=655167
65sub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 12:11 PM   #2137
Bomp

From when we talked last, that cold has been hanging on. Get rest and don't get tuckered out.
Focus on trucks. Fooocuuuus.

Enjoy the chats on the phone. Get well soon
Bomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 03:55 PM   #2138
dwcardfan

I hope you get to feeling better! I too am ready to see more progress on the truck.
dwcardfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 05:49 PM   #2139
Grizz1963

Quote:
Nice work on the table Rian....Yeah sometime trucks get delayed, even though we don't like it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by clemdaddy View Post
hope you are feeling better. feeling poorly in the summer heat is the worst, zaps all your energy.

good to see you getting some stuff done even though.
i think that compressor is cool looking and definitely worth fixing up.

hey Rian, most of us don't want you to stray too far from the truck, thats the thing that connects us all. so, get back at it when you can...
Quote:
Originally Posted by 65sub View Post
Hope you're feeling better soon Rian. I look forward to the transmission work when you feel up to it
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomp View Post
From when we talked last, that cold has been hanging on. Get rest and don't get tuckered out.
Focus on trucks. Fooocuuuus.

Enjoy the chats on the phone. Get well soon
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwcardfan View Post
I hope you get to feeling better! I too am ready to see more progress on the truck.
Thanks guys.

Yes, the chest infection has been beating me up, and certainly slowed me down.

My personal life is taking its toll on everything also too, as soon as stuff is sorted I will be back on the truck, in the mean time, please just enjoy the distractions, they keep me sane.
Old 06-21-2016, 06:06 PM   #2140
Grizz1963

Quick pics.

Dennis has progressed a bit.

This is going to be such a *****in' ride when he is done with it.

After work tonight, the bike got a new front tyre, now just need to remember to go easy the next couple of hundred miles.

Hope to get onto the gearbox over he weekend.
Old 06-26-2016, 04:10 PM   #2141
Grizz1963

And another weekend has come and gone.....

Yesterday I went to help a "new friend" whom I had not met before.

It's kind of a long story, about 25 years ago, I restored a 1963 VW Beetle, and needed a few parts, as you do.
I had also owned 1959 Beetle after that.

Craig's dad had Kritzingers Garage in my home town of Port Elizabeth in South Africa. So that's where I bought my spares.
I was also involved in the whole off-road racing scene at the time and a lot of cars ran various setups as Sandmasters etc, and again I would have used spares from there.

Fast forward to April 2016 and I get a PM on Rods n Sods from a guy who by his own admission, does "Binge-Reading" when he discovers something interesting, and of course he has identified the license plate on my old VW Beetle from 25 years ago.
It quickly becomes clear that we have a lot in common not in the least his love for quirky, different stuff, recycling etc.
So we switch to mobile phones etc.

It turns out that Craig has bought and is waiting for a 1947 Chevrolet Fleetline Aerosedan..... I was very nearly an owner of one 25 years ago when I started working in the Pharma industry.

THIS IS CRAIG'S CAR:

http://retrorides.proboards.com/thre...auty-awakening

Anyway, fast forward a few weeks and his car lands and gets delivered, but he has a load of prep to do so that he can prepare some space on his typical UK narrow driveway so that he can work on the car. Last weekend I was sick in bed, but this week at 88% healthy, I was at his place by 09.00 on Saturday after stopping by at mate Martin's place to drop of some heavy duty straps n ratchets I have found him cheaply at the previous bootfair.

Craig has been fighting this Ivy and overgrowth the last few weeks in his spare time after work, and in between looking after his young family.

So when I got there, it was the 10cent tour, then onto just cutting piles of Ivy into ton bags, and moving roots etc out to the street.

So it went on and on......

Craig being a Bantam weight managed to stand on one leg like a Ninja on top of a concrete pillar and clear the Ivy off the roof from the neighbours side, fortunately she was away for the weekend. After the Ivy was removed from where it had grown there was a thick layer of soil and compost to remove next.

Clearing the roof, best done with good supervision...........

Typically South African, we worked till about 4pm and then cleaned and cleared up everything, started a fire......

After eating ourselves silly on a pile of meat that would scare a T-Rex, salads etc followed by coffee, desert sorted out by Mrs CraigRK we went back to the garage and started exchanging and trading tools and toys. Craig and I are of a very similar mindset, except he is clever and has OCD, he had some bits set aside for me, and could not remember where they were, so straight onto the iPad and a spreadsheet....... "Ahhhhh, box no 24" he said and pulled out some nice new bits for me to add to my collection of air tools at home.

I had agreed to trade Craig for a small horizontal compressor for a vertical one he had previously Wombled when he skip dived a pile of treasures on the way back from his school run after dropping the kids off. The little compressor, which is not that little, will be going up inside the replica petrol pump I made a while back, in front of the garage.

Next up a gift........
One of the pavement specials, already tested...... Wet tile cutter.
Note the standard South African patented Toe-Teckters in focus. An honest coincidence.

TESTED......

Then............

The best thing of the day, well, my day at least.
I have been in the market for a new cordless drill for a while.

Enter: 1x charger, 2x Cordless drills, 3x rechargeable batteries.

What a way to end the day. Totally made my week, let alone my day.

Craig also gave me a load of storage boxes, some number plates to trade and some more garage storage solutions. Thanks,mate.

And finally a couple of pics of the car, for the rest, and there are a lot of them, take a look in Craig's build thread.

Love this car.

Eventually left the hospitality of Villa CraigRK at about 8.30pm to return home.

That was Saturday in a flash.
Old 06-26-2016, 04:37 PM   #2142
Grizz1963

Had a new front tyre fitted this week and went for a ride on the bike, up to Eynsford and met up with a few good old friends for a drink.

Also saw a Ford........

Today, after bootfair and going to look at a house, I eventually made it into the garage for a few tasks, followed by a job I have been missing out on for a while.

Opened up the transmission to replace filter n gaskets.

Can you see the Robot?

I also replaced the front and rear seals while I was in there, though to the naked, untrained eye, they did look perfectly fine.

Interestingly, the filter clearly was doing its job before.

Happy to have this done too.

Weekend over.
Old 06-26-2016, 05:27 PM   #2143
65sub

Looks like a fun weekend Rian. Did you put the shift kit in the transmission?
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=655167
65sub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 05:37 PM   #2144
Grizz1963

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65sub View Post
Looks like a fun weekend Rian. Did you put the shift kit in the transmission?
Hey Dale,

Kinda embarrassed to admit, but no, I did not.

The reason is two fold.

#1 Chicken **** to try it.

#2 GM spent millions in R&D to get transmission just right, maybe it's not needed.
Old 06-26-2016, 06:54 PM   #2145
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

Looked like a great weekend Rian. Always good to meet with new old friends.

Bill's Gallery
Old 06-26-2016, 07:15 PM   #2146
flashed

Looks like you had a great weekend ,you will love the drill ,I have 2 of those and love them. I need your address so I can send you a care package ,just a few things you may like .
flashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 05:27 PM   #2147
Grizz1963

Quote:
Looked like a great weekend Rian. Always good to meet with new old friends.
It certainly is Bill.

And in this case, weirdly, we share a lot of common interests.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashed View Post
Looks like you had a great weekend ,you will love the drill ,I have 2 of those and love them. I need your address so I can send you a care package ,just a few things you may like .
Thank you for your kind and generous offer John.
What I will say is that the postage is genuinely prohibitively expensive.
So you need to think about it carefully.

Just a quick front end photo Dennis sent from St Louis, Missouri.

This truck already looks mean and that's without engine etc.

Old 06-29-2016, 03:38 PM   #2148
Grizz1963

I have been asked on a couple of forums why I am not proceeding with the quick shift kit

It came with no instructions, and I have not been able to find guidance on YouTube

So if anyone has a copy of the original destructions, please let me know.

On the way home tonight I did a detour to pick up this old guy.

Looks hardly used, but should get some use from me.
I need to lose some of my chubby curves before I get the USA in case there is a desperate divorcee, widow, singleton who wants to throw herself at me.

The bike should help a bit. Free is good.

Old 06-29-2016, 04:13 PM   #2149
flashed

That is a nice bike and free makes it even nicer.
flashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 06:29 PM   #2150
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

Rian, don't know if this will help or not, but instructions;

http://files.dpbrands.com/bm/instructions/30262.pdf

It wouldn't let me add them as the pdf was too large.

Bill's Gallery