The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical > Truck Audio

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-31-2016, 08:15 PM   #1
Andy4639
Old member

Question Hiding speakers

I know this isn't a truck but it's about my 64 Impala. I want to install 2 6x9 in the rear deck lid bit I want to hide them so they aren't so noticeable. I don't want to use the grilles with them but make like a cloth cover to hide them.

Anybody got pictures are idea's what to use?

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 09:07 PM   #2
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Re: Hiding speakers

Andy, iirc you can see the bottom of the speakers from the trunk, right? (i.e they aren't in an enclosed package tray?)

If so, build a small speaker box with a 6x9 cutout like you were mounting them free-standing (or buy one of the prefab plastic ones). Upgrade the hardware and use screw-tabs to reinforce the area if the metal is thin, then mount that box on the bottom side of the package tray.

That should put you flush-or-below on the package tray level, so you can put fabric or mesh over them. If you do put fabric over them, make sure its very breathable...otherwise you'll see it vibrate like crazy when you bump the tunes.

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD

Last edited by BR3W CITY; 11-03-2016 at 09:33 PM.
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 05:08 PM   #3
lsversaw

Andy, I was able to find some speaker grille cloth at the local JoAnn Fabrics store. Here's a link:
http://www.joann.com/utility-fabric-...peaker&start=1

If you do as BR3W suggests, you can then use the fabric to cover the entire package shelf and the speakers will be invisible.

BR3W also mentioned the prefab plastic enclosures. Here are some that would be pretty quick and easy:
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_237XT69...s-5-depth.html

Good luck with your project.
lsversaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 07:57 PM   #4
Andy4639
Old member

Question Re: Hiding speakers

Thanks guy's for the info. I plan to use those rear speaker cups as I have a set of them all ready so I plan to use them. Also I found some cloth that looks like it should work.
I know the color isn't perfect but it may end up right once I have it. The computer may have the color off a bit.
I may try and find some locally though first.

Attached Images

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Old 11-03-2016, 09:35 PM   #5
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Andy, just be cautious of how the fabric reacts to UV. Those old windows aren't polarized or anything, so fabrics on exposed spaces like the package tray will run the risk of bleaching if they are susceptible to UV exposure.

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 12:07 PM   #6
lsversaw

Andy, could you post a link to that fabric? Thanks.
Old 11-04-2016, 02:58 PM   #7
Andy4639
Old member

Thumbs up Re: Hiding speakers

Quote:
Originally Posted by BR3W CITY View Post
Andy, just be cautious of how the fabric reacts to UV. Those old windows aren't polarized or anything, so fabrics on exposed spaces like the package tray will run the risk of bleaching if they are susceptible to UV exposure.
Got it. Yea I guess I need to look at that.

Quote:
lsversaw,
Andy, could you post a link to that fabric? Thanks.
It's off e bay. Her you go.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/311652209859...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

Old 11-06-2016, 08:40 PM   #8
Andy4639
Old member

Talking Re: Hiding speakers

Well my 1 day off I got the rear metal package tray cut for the 6x9's. I installed the 2 mid's in the front dash opening.
I need some good video's are pictures of how to hide these rear speakers.

I have to take the fronts back out and paint them black to hide them also.
Just put them in to get the pattern for the mounts done.
Attached Images

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

Old 11-07-2016, 11:54 AM   #9
lsversaw

Andy, you might try putting black grille cloth under the speaker grille to hide the front speakers, instead of painting.
Old 11-07-2016, 02:27 PM   #10
Andy4639
Old member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsversaw View Post
Andy, you might try putting black grille cloth under the speaker grille to hide the front speakers, instead of painting.
That's a idea! Thanks.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

Old 11-08-2016, 08:02 PM   #11
Andy4639
Old member

I ordered new speaker material today to make a whole new package tray to cover the speakers. I got both rear speakers mounted and wires cut to reach the front of the car. Hope to have wires ran to all 4 speakers and ready for the head unit Friday by lunch my one day off this week.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

Old 11-14-2016, 01:44 PM   #12
Andy4639
Old member

I take the car Wednesday to have the radio installed. Hope to pickup some cloth locally at the material store. What I ordered wasn't close to the right color.

Anybody got any pic's of their's?

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

Old 11-17-2016, 09:35 AM   #13
Andy4639
Old member

All done with the stereo install.

Took and cut 1/4" plywood and covered it with carpet to hide the 6x9 in the back.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

Old 11-17-2016, 01:05 PM   #14
_Ogre

looks good

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 08:45 PM   #15
Andy4639
Old member

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Ogre View Post
looks good
Thank you sir!

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

Old 11-19-2016, 12:40 PM   #16
lsversaw

Nice install, Andy. The rear shelf really looks good. Do the speakers sound muffled, playing through the carpet? Even if they do, it may be worth the tradeoff to keep them hidden.

Shameless self-promotion: for a more original look, it's possible to get all of the features of that head unit in a stock AM radio, without changing the look and feel of the radio. PM me for more info.
Old 11-19-2016, 02:04 PM   #17
Andy4639
Old member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsversaw View Post
Nice install, Andy. The rear shelf really looks good. Do the speakers sound muffled, playing through the carpet? Even if they do, it may be worth the tradeoff to keep them hidden.

Shameless self-promotion: for a more original look, it's possible to get all of the features of that head unit in a stock AM radio, without changing the look and feel of the radio. PM me for more info.
I can't tell any difference in the sound of the speakers. The carpet I used is the cheap stuff at the parts store. It has no backing on it so you can see through it. The guy's at the stereo shop suggested it.

If you can get the sound quality out of the AM radio with all the hands free stuff without any more components I'm all ears. I have a 67 truck I have to put something in. Once I get started on it.
I have the old radio out of my father in laws truck.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

Old 11-29-2016, 10:50 AM   #18
James the III

I like it..
I did a rear tray like that in my 75 Cutlass.. but used vinyl like the seats.. and punched holes in it for the speakers. looked factory..
used a fabric punch. and mapped out the holes for spacing and punched them out..
The rug works but will effect the highs, you might not be a big deal with sound bouncing off the rear window..
kinga like this.. only this looks like it's for a 4x6 or 4x10 and I used vinyl not plastic and smaller holes and not as many.. you couldn't see the speakers from above.. just like dash speakers

James the III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 03:42 PM   #19
Andy4639
Old member

The sound is fine for me. I was thinking about vinyl material but finding the right color was the problem. The cheap carpet worked great and it doesn't sound bad at all.
I plan to make a cover for the trunk also with the 1/4" board and help with the looks.
Attached Images

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

Old 12-08-2016, 02:19 AM   #20
James the III

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy4639 View Post
The sound is fine for me. I was thinking about vinyl material but finding the right color was the problem. The cheap carpet worked great and it doesn't sound bad at all.
I plan to make a cover for the trunk also with the 1/4" board and help with the looks.
Might want to look on junkyard crawls for the g.m. and ford, underside baffle that covers the speaker back side..
James the III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 05:14 AM   #21
Andy4639
Old member

Quote:
Originally Posted by James the III View Post
Might want to look on junkyard crawls for the g.m. and ford, underside baffle that covers the speaker back side..
Stereo guy who is the manager of the local shop said no. Not to put the speaker covers on the back side. He said the speakers are built to have nothing over the backs.
He said it would hurt them more than help. He said if I was to do anything is to build a cover to enclose the whole back area between the back seat and the trunk area.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club