The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-03-2015, 11:51 PM   #1
67-72trucks

Help with LS2 intake swap onto 5.3 truck engine

Hello,
I may buy a complete LS2 intake manifold from a 2005 GTO with injectors and fuel rails. Just wondering what I need to do the swap professionally in my 1970 Swb 4x4 lsx project. Engine is a 5.3 with LS6 Cam Swap, schwanke engines wiring harness, and using a Kwik Performance A/C bracket kit.
Attached Images

Last edited by 67-72trucks; 01-04-2015 at 11:54 AM.
67-72trucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 05:37 AM   #2
scottybaccus

Re: Help with LS2 intake swap onto 5.3 truck engine

I believe the only interference will be with the water pump.
The usual approach is to use an F-body pump, and spacers(if using truck accy brackets). This is out dated now.
I believe you can use a 2010 Camaro waterpump, instead. It moves the upper water neck over to the driver's side. The top hose should be from an '05-'08 Vette. It requires relocating the idler pulley down and to the driver's side. Dirty Dingo sells the bracket to do this. Looking at your pic, you may find it helpful to flip the air intake to the passenger side. And you'll require a different belt, I expect. It's probably $250 for everything.
Old 01-04-2015, 05:40 AM   #3
scottybaccus

BTW, it will lose a few HP and ft/lb vs the truck intake.
Old 01-04-2015, 09:32 AM   #4
homemade87

67, You wont have to do any off the stuff that was suggested . That ls2 intake will bolt right on with truck acc with no problem .

But there is a couple things you will have to over come . One is the fuel injector connectors are different . Yours wont plug onto the ls2 injectors. Couple ways to fix this is cut and splice if you have the ls2 connectors . If not they make some couplers that will convert .

The other thing is the ls2 is a 4 bolt and yours is a 3 bolt throttle body . You will have to order a adapter to get it to fit . Or get an aftermarket t/b .

One other thing is I think you will have to make or modify your drive by cable bracket to bolt onto the ls2 intake . It is different .

We put a ls2 intake on a 2001 Silverado and with stock brackets and had to make the adjustments listed above . I also have a ls2 intake on a 2004 dbw engine .

Not an impossible task but doable .

There really is nothing lacking about the truck intake as performance . If this is your only concern its not worth the swap .
homemade87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 11:23 AM   #5
homemade87

Quote:
Originally Posted by homemade87 View Post
67, You wont have to do any off the stuff that was suggested . That ls2 intake will bolt right on with truck acc with no problem .

But there is a couple things you will have to over come . One is the fuel injector connectors are different . Yours wont plug onto the ls2 injectors. Couple ways to fix this is cut and splice if you have the ls2 connectors . If not they make some couplers that will convert .

The other thing is the ls2 is a 4 bolt and yours is a 3 bolt throttle body . You will have to order a adapter to get it to fit . Or get an aftermarket t/b .

One other thing is I think you will have to make or modify your drive by cable bracket to bolt onto the ls2 intake . It is different .

We put a ls2 intake on a 2001 Silverado and with stock brackets and had to make the adjustments listed above . I also have a ls2 intake on a 2004 dbw engine .

Not an impossible task but doable .

There really is nothing lacking about the truck intake as performance . If this is your only concern its not worth the swap .
I just realized the gto has a different ls2 intake .( I should learn to read better) The one I was referring to was the tbss ls2 intake . Sorry for the confusion . The tbss intake as stated above would be a little easier swap for you .
Old 01-04-2015, 11:55 AM   #6
67-72trucks

Will a tbss intake manifold make more power than a gto ls2 intake manifold? What would be the best intake manifold for my truck and looks the best?

Last edited by 67-72trucks; 01-04-2015 at 12:09 PM.
Old 01-04-2015, 02:37 PM   #7
homemade87

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67-72trucks View Post
Will a tbss intake manifold make more power than a gto ls2 intake manifold? What would be the best intake manifold for my truck and looks the best?
The tbss intake has a 87mm throttle body dbw . I think the truck intake you have is a 78mm drive by cable . So you would get some better performance with the tbss intake with a cam and good exhaust and tune . You will have to have some supporting mods to take advantage of it .

Unfortunately you cant use the drive by wire tb . You will have to get an aftermarket one to use cable . Holley makes a 95mm that may work for you ,and there are a few more that do also .

I do think the tbss intake looks better than the truck intake .

Just another way to look at it . If you change intakes you are probably looking at best a 10 to 15 rwhp with your set up if even that with a tbss intake and bigger T/b .
Old 01-04-2015, 02:59 PM   #8
67-72trucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by homemade87 View Post
The tbss intake has a 87mm throttle body dbw . I think the truck intake you have is a 78mm drive by cable . So you would get some better performance with the tbss intake with a cam and good exhaust and tune . You will have to have some supporting mods to take advantage of it .

Unfortunately you cant use the drive by wire tb . You will have to get an aftermarket one to use cable . Holley makes a 95mm that may work for you ,and there are a few more that do also .

I do think the tbss intake looks better than the truck intake .

Just another way to look at it . If you change intakes you are probably looking at best a 10 to 15 rwhp with your set up if even that with a tbss intake and bigger T/b .

Thanks for the help. I may go with these items below.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/hly-112-585
It requires HLY-543-111 TPS

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/hly-543-111
Old 01-04-2015, 04:08 PM   #9
homemade87

I think that's what I would run from what you have . I sure wish holley had one for the drive by wire .

You will see some performance from the change . I found out to really get the most you will have to take it to a dyno for a final tune .I wasted a lot of time effort and money before I took it to the dyno . I was amazed the difference it made . This sounds crazy but I gained 100 ft lb torque before 4000 rpm with the dyno tune . Above 4000 I did not gain much but what a difference. I was running rich on the low side . You just cant tell until you hook it up to the dyno.
Old 01-04-2015, 07:01 PM   #10
Dustytrix

This is what I read when I was thinking about a tbss intake. Unless you have the 243 or 799 heads you will lose power because the standard 5.3 heads can't handle or use the flow of air from the tbss intake, this info came from ls1tech. I decided to stick with original truck intake. Just my opinion.
Dustytrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 07:06 PM   #11
HemiChallenger71

The truck intakes look terrible but theyre hard to beat!

Dorman makes a replacement style ls6 intake. They dont quite match the factory ls6 intakes but theyre close in performance.
HemiChallenger71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 03:26 AM   #12
scottybaccus

Stick with the truck intake. Just dig up some Denali or Escalade engine covers.
Old 01-10-2015, 08:30 PM   #13
67-72trucks

Who makes a nice looking engine cover.