The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-09-2015, 04:59 PM   #1
blublaz71

sliding windows

Has anyone installed sliding windows into 69-72 Blazer roof..
blublaz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 06:48 PM   #2
ubstung71

Re: sliding windows

Yes, the PO had these custom built and installed in Denver but that was a one-off job to my knowledge and about 20 years ago. There are several on the board with sliding windows and all seem to be a little different.
Attached Images

ubstung71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 12:26 AM   #3
bouncytruck
SKINNY TIRES RULE!

There are a few on the board. When they pop up for sale on craigslist, etc they either get snatched up quickly or they want too much $.

I'd love to have some, but I haven't even put the hard top on in the last 5 years so there really isn't any point.
Wife's Ride2014 Fiat 500L
bouncytruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 09:05 PM   #4
Blazerowner

I paid 1k for mine but they are nos. I have yet to install them but they are the same style as above. I don't think those were custom built I think there was a company that made them at one time. There is a member on here with very old instructions.
Blazerowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 01:47 PM   #5
cleszkie

My sliders are the same as those. Not custom,just old aftermarket. I also attached the old instructions that someone else posted up a while back.
Attached Images

cleszkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 11:28 PM   #6
DeadheadNM
Carpe manana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazerowner View Post
I paid 1k for mine but they are nos. I have yet to install them but they are the same style as above. I don't think those were custom built I think there was a company that made them at one time. There is a member on here with very old instructions.
Kirk - tried replying but your box is full. Will post reply here since it is somewhat related.

I haven't yet tried installing the sliders I have into my 1x wall top yet (too much other stuff going on). I have both the single pane and double pane sliding types. The instructs above came with a pair of NOS single pane 69-72 sliders I found loose in a salvage yard (topless) 72 Blazer. I'd still like to know which of the two top styles 1x vs. 2x has the larger window height as that's the style that needs cutting. Note that the instructs make no mention of a special gasket, which is sometimes mooted when sliders are discussed.

Not yet - I do have a single wall. Wasn't able to locate a member(s) who could supply the height of the window opening on a 1x versus 2x wall top. That's the measure we need. I'm reluctant to cut into my 1x wall top even for the sliders. I would rather get a 2x wall spare top for that. I have examples here of the single pane and the double pane sliders.

Members met: ORANGBLAZ, 2003 silverado, MikeCofield, BB72CHEVKT, Duncan&Son, Sameyrasmea72, THENEWMEXICAN, HotRod C/10, brianthelion02, Sport/Truck, ryanroo, michael bustamante, Dirt's72, Already Gone, WestButteTruck, 57taskforce, Moreyel, painterljp, AASmedic, SoCoC10, Lumaestas, carbuff382, Chevyland
DeadheadNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 03:21 AM   #7
Blazerowner

I would love to have those single pane sliders. I have a single wall as well. Maybe I will get to restoring it soon and see how they fit.
Old 11-16-2015, 09:13 AM   #8
ubstung71

Just read the thread updates. My PO said
They were custom and I had no reason to not
Believe him but good to know they were
Aftermarket. If anybody needs measurements
With my sliders and double wall just let
Me know. Thanks
Posted via Mobile Device
ubstung71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 10:40 AM   #9
1rippen6

I have a single wall with the glass removed if someone needs the opening measurement if that is what you are looking for
1rippen6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 01:13 PM   #10
Blazerowner

Perhaps measure the single and double from the lip to see if there is a difference? Per the instructions there should be a 3/8 total difference if measured up and down.
Old 07-28-2016, 07:49 PM   #11
cleszkie

Reviving an old, unresolved thread. I will be attempting to install my double slider windows into my single wall top. The sliders were previously installed in a double wall top, which I have since sold.

I will have the luxury of having a set of double wall glass, and single wall glass to compare the sizes. I have also purchased new single wall and double wall window gaskets, to have my bases covered, in addition to having the original gaskets that came out of the double wall top with sliders. I will be measuring the heck out of everything to determine what needs to be done to get those sliders in the single wall. I hope that the window opening trimming requirement only applies to the single sliders (that instruction sheet was found with a single slider). But I will trim if need be because regular glass will never go back in. Nothing beats the fresh air that comes in when those sliders are opened.
Old 07-28-2016, 10:05 PM   #12
DeadheadNM
Carpe manana

Thanks!!!

Members met: ORANGBLAZ, 2003 silverado, MikeCofield, BB72CHEVKT, Duncan&Son, Sameyrasmea72, THENEWMEXICAN, HotRod C/10, brianthelion02, Sport/Truck, ryanroo, michael bustamante, Dirt's72, Already Gone, WestButteTruck, 57taskforce, Moreyel, painterljp, AASmedic, SoCoC10, Lumaestas, carbuff382, Chevyland
Old 07-29-2016, 02:58 AM   #13
Blazerowner

I still have yet to install mine. I need to restore my top so they've been on the back burner. I've been running a soft top for now and I'm tearing down my Chevelle to restore it. I may get to the top this summer but that's a big maybe. Let us know what you find. I really would hate to have to cut my top.
Old 08-03-2016, 02:24 PM   #14
cleszkie

Well, the verdict is in.

You will all be glad to hear that I successfully installed my double pane slider windows into my single wall top WITHOUT having to trim a thing. The slider windows measure exactly the same as the single wall glass. I used new single wall window gaskets produced by Steele, some Windex for lube, and a lot of elbow grease to install them. I had my top on my hoist, which really helped because I was able to manipulate the inside and outside of the window at the same time as I stood under it.

So, it appears that the instruction to trim the window opening of a single wall top (that was shown in those old instructions) applies only to the single pane slider windows. The one caveat I have is that it worked for me, with the sliders that I have. If there were more than one manufacturer of the double pane sliders, then there could be variances in the frame sizes. The best way to verify is to simply compare the dimensions to the original glass.

Next up - finish installing new weather stripping and installing my Hickey roof rack.
Attached Images

Old 08-03-2016, 09:45 PM   #15
DeadheadNM
Carpe manana

Sweet! Thanks for the follow up and congrats. Great info. Curious if the 2x and 1x wall glass measures the same and is of similar thickness. Are you happy w the 1x wall Steele gaskets?

Old 08-05-2016, 01:10 PM   #16
cleszkie

I have not compared my double wall glass to the single wall glass. Maybe I will do that just to round out this discussion. I know that topic comes up every now and then.

I was very pleased with the Steele gaskets. I used them for the two side windows, and the hatch window.
Old 08-05-2016, 08:52 PM   #17
DeadheadNM
Carpe manana

Good to know thanks again. We're lucky that Steele is making the gaskets IMO - can't be a large market for single wall tops. Also good to know the sliders don't use a special gasket. Dying to know what if any difference exists between the glass.

Old 08-06-2016, 08:13 PM   #18
Blazerowner

Good to hear this worked out. I will be ordering the gaskets from Steele as well. I need to get on that top soon.
Old 08-07-2016, 02:43 PM   #19
mrtoni

Looking to,buy a set. Placing wtb ad if anyone knows a set. Matt
mrtoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 12:24 PM   #20
cleszkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadheadNM View Post
Good to know thanks again. We're lucky that Steele is making the gaskets IMO - can't be a large market for single wall tops. Also good to know the sliders don't use a special gasket. Dying to know what if any difference exists between the glass.
OK - I placed the single wall side glass directly on top the double wall side glass, and there is NO difference in dimensions. HOWEVER, the single wall side glass measures 3/32" thick and the double wall side glass measures 3/16". The double wall side glass is twice as thick as the single wall side glass. The hatch glass is identical in dimension and thickness (3/16") between single and double wall tops.
Old 08-08-2016, 03:29 PM   #21
DeadheadNM
Carpe manana

That settles it then. Thanks again. Curious if the thickness would be problematic for a swap. I've got clear 1x wall glass I'd like to exchange for tinted 2x glass. I'll post here when I try.

Old 08-08-2016, 04:04 PM   #22
cleszkie

I would tend to believe that the thicker double wall glass might have issues fitting in the groove of the single wall gasket. It could end up distorting the gasket, making for a poor fit and hard installation.
Old 08-08-2016, 08:36 PM   #23
DeadheadNM
Carpe manana

You're probably right. Sell me a set of single wall tinted glass so I don't have to experiment ?

Old 08-08-2016, 09:29 PM   #24
Blazerowner

Is the single wall glass rare? I saw a guy selling a set two years ago when I bought my hatch glass. Wanted $50 for them. Didn't need them so didn't even bother. Of course that was two years ago and I would definately make sure I wasn't passing up a good deal today.
Old 08-09-2016, 11:57 AM   #25
cleszkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadheadNM View Post
You're probably right. Sell me a set of single wall tinted glass so I don't have to experiment ?
My single wall glass has the surficial, purple-ish tint that I have seen on other tops I've had. I don't think its the Soft Ray type green glass tint that I think you are after. If you are after the purple-ish tint, the tint on my set is in pretty bad shape, and should probably just be scraped off. I will take a closer look at the set and see if it could in fact be Soft Ray tinted glass under the surficial tint and let you know.