The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-25-2019, 12:34 AM   #1
Jonny Hotnuts

SWB build (phase 2)

I am starting phase 2 of my build. I took some time off to work on other projects including a fun 69 Charger (full build) and a 38 Chevy truck.

A little background and some advice for anyone wanting to build one of these trucks.

-My grandfather purchased this truck new in 70; he got the cheapest truck he could (dairy farmer) and didnt have time for luxury items like a radio, AC, big motor, long bed ect. He would of likely ordered it without paint if he could of gotten it for a few dollars less. My dad purchased it from him in 83 for 1000$.
The actual mileage? The engine was swapped with 390K and the 'new' motor has +200k.

My advice:

The biggest mistake I made when I started....
-I did not have a clear idea what I wanted to do. I knew I wanted to fix it up but wtf does that mean. My priorities changed along the way due to a number of factors. At first I was just going to replace a few core things that were worn or damaged and keep it original as possible....but the more I got into it, the more I found so much had already changed along the way there was no way it would ever be original or even close....so why try!
The truck had already been painted, had a series of panels repaired (badly, REALLY badly), the engine was replaced, it was converted from 3 on the tree to 3 on the floor and on and on. It also had some rust issues requiring some patches.

1. I would recommend before anyone starts a project like this to have a clear and concise vision of what you want the truck to be when finished. Make a list of everything you want to do, make a timeline and budget.

2. Whatever you have figured for your budget double it if you want a realistic figure. Someone building/restoring vehicles all the time will have more acute budgeting abilities. The shade tree builders often dont account for all of the small stuff, the 'oh crap, look what I found' and being overtly optimistic (my worst fear is when I die my wife will sell my guitars for what I told her what the cost! [I have an original 63 Strat among others and wifey has no clue......and she is better off not knowing!). I really thought I would be into this truck for less than 4K when I started. I just ordered about 5K in parts and they are just a drop in the bucket for whats coming in the future. My biggest downfall has been not being realistic with myself if I want something.

So on with phase II.

(recap of phase I)

After dad passed I was told to "get this thing out of here". It sat in here for +10 years stewing in this tent.

trailered home

SPID and a wooden coin I found in the glove box. Who is IKE anyway?

Stuff in the glove box

massive engine
Jonny Hotnuts is offline   Reply With Quote