The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-12-2015, 04:05 PM   #1
Racin_jason

transmission quesstion/ Speedometer

I had to replace the speedometer cable on the truck and had begun to pull it out this weekend. When I crawled under the truck to remove the cable from the trans I noticed that it was leaking, what seems to be the sorce of my trans leak from the attachment point that houses the speedo-gear. I was wondering if anyone would know where to look for such a part or what the name of the parts that i'm looking for are called. I'm not planning on doing this until next week or even after cause I did already have a trans-filter replacement to do aswell.

thanks yall
Racin_jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 04:26 PM   #2
Titomars

Re: transmission quesstion/ Speedometer

The speedo Sleeve (what the cable actually screws onto) has 2 seals. One is an o-ring the seals the sleeve to the trans case. the 2nd is a small lip seal the seals the speedo gear to the sleeve. You can see both with the sleeve and gear out. I would assume both are available through Napa or GM.

Taken from the 73 to 78 parts book.
TH400 sleeve to case seal= 6264904
all others except K series, sleeve to case seal= 6264903
speedo gear seal= 3869910
Old 07-12-2015, 07:38 PM   #3
chrly1492

went through this on my th350 just this year changing from a cable to electric speedometer. The bullet part is available through summit, or a local parts house. the gear gets a bit harder to find, but you will need to get it out and count the teeth to get the exact replacement. Color will be asked by the vendor, but I found with mine, that the teeth number didn't match the color that it should have been. I got mine through Napa, but it was an order, not in stock. good luck with yours..Mine didn't leak until I touched it.
chrly1492 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 07:53 PM   #4
Racin_jason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titomars View Post
The speedo Sleeve (what the cable actually screws onto) has 2 seals. One is an o-ring the seals the sleeve to the trans case. the 2nd is a small lip seal the seals the speedo gear to the sleeve. You can see both with the sleeve and gear out. I would assume both are available through Napa or GM.

Taken from the 73 to 78 parts book.
TH400 sleeve to case seal= 6264904
all others except K series, sleeve to case seal= 6264903
speedo gear seal= 3869910

Thank you I'll look into this asap
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-12-2015, 07:54 PM   #5
Racin_jason

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrly1492 View Post
went through this on my th350 just this year changing from a cable to electric speedometer. The bullet part is available through summit, or a local parts house. the gear gets a bit harder to find, but you will need to get it out and count the teeth to get the exact replacement. Color will be asked by the vendor, but I found with mine, that the teeth number didn't match the color that it should have been. I got mine through Napa, but it was an order, not in stock. good luck with yours..Mine didn't leak until I touched it.
Yea you know I found that same one with summit, looked like my best bet for a full replacement. I was reading something about seating them. Do you know anything about that our are they just fitted in and bolted down?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-12-2015, 10:22 PM   #6
chrly1492

I assume that you're working on a th350... once you have the new parts put together, it all slides into place with a bit of a pop. you can tell when it's in as the bracket lines up with the slot in the bullet before you even tighten the bolt.
chrly1492 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 10:41 PM   #7
geezer#99

Here's a source for speedo bullets, seals and gears.
http://www.transmissioncenter.net/sp...n_______va.htm
geezer#99 is offline   Reply With Quote