The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-10-2021, 01:48 PM   #1
Sick5
C10 CLUB Y QUE!

measuring and installing ujoint

Ran into a rear end that its Yoke is smooth. It doesn't have the small stoppers at the end to keep the ujoint from moving. I'm not sure what year it is. But i do know it had leaf spring and its a 10 bolt 8.5.
going from 63 6 lug to this 5 lug rear end. how do i measure the yoke to get the correct ujoint with this style of yoke?

I've measured the out side diameter of the yoke but i only find close to that measurement. im not sure but i think on this i need to measure the inside half circle to get the size of the ujoint (inside clips) im assuming.
Sick5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 09:28 AM   #2
burnin oil

Re: measuring and installing ujoint

You can Google u joint size and find a list of common u joint sizes and then compare it to your measurements. I just did this myself to figure out a yoke. Odds are your measurements are close. 1310 and 1330 are a common light duty joint. Another trick I have used is to look for a part number on the yoke and Google that and look for its information. Pretty much every Spicer yoke I have come across has the part number cast into it. It will be something like 10-412. That number is made up but represents what to look for.
burnin oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 11:15 AM   #3
kwmech

Some yokes take an inside snap ring on the u-joint cap that retains the joint. That is unless the yoke is visibly broken where the tabs should be
kwmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2021, 12:09 PM   #4
Accelo

Inside Snap Ring Universal Joints and Yokes

Inside snap ring components come in a few sizes for automotive applications. They are found in older GM, Chevrolet, Dodge products and some imports. The yokes and universal joints pictured are for reference only and your parts may look a bit different than these specific parts, but if yours is an inside snap ring u-joint simply match your measurements to the chart for series identification.

Shown is a Spicer Life Series universal joint with "C" snap rings and the improved bearing cap seals. This joint has a forged rather than cast body for extra strength and life - it is an OE style 100,000 mile universal joint.

A is the measurement between snap ring grooves and B is the bearing cap diameter. Cap diameters are best measured with dial calipers but a good tape (with a good eye) that is marked in 16th's of an inch will work fine.

The yoke shown is a PTI 3R Series u-bolt style. These yokes come in dozens of configurations - different spline sizes and counts, different seal diameters, etc. Also the universal joint may be held in the yoke with u-bolts or straps. This type of yoke may be found on the output shaft of a transfer case or on the pinion shaft of a rear axle. The measurements are the same as those on the joint: A is the snap ring "lockup" dimension and B is the bearing cap diameter. Notice that this yoke has no tabs at the bottom of the joint cap bores, as do outside snap ring yokes. It is the inner machined surface of the yoke ears than hold the snap rings in place.

TROUBLESHOOTING NOTE: The universal joint caps with snap rings in place should fit snugly between the ears of the yoke. If the joint can be moved from side to side across the yoke the yoke is worn should be replaced. The snap rings hold the joint on the centerline of the yoke. A worn yoke moves the joint off the centerline and thereby shifts the attached driveshaft off it's centerline which can and does cause vibration. A perfect driveshaft will not run true in a worn yoke.

INSTALLATION NOTE: If yours is a u-bolt style yoke we recommend replacing the u-bolts when the joint is changed. U-bolts can stretch and not hold properly over time. Also heed the torque specification when tightening nuts on u-bolts! A u-bolt can be easily overtightened, crushing the u-joint bearing cap out of round. Many u-bolt style yokes have been discontinued and replaced with strap-and-bolt style yokes for this reason.

INSTALLATION NOTE: When fitting an inside snap ring joint into a yoke be sure to turn the caps so the openings of the snap rings face the open side of the yoke. This ensures full snap ring contact with the yoke.
Attached Images

Accelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2021, 11:56 AM   #5
kwmech

[QUOTE]
INSTALLATION NOTE: If yours is a u-bolt style yoke we recommend replacing the u-bolts when the joint is changed. U-bolts can stretch and not hold properly over time. Also heed the torque specification when tightening nuts on u-bolts! A u-bolt can be easily over tightened, crushing the u-joint bearing cap out of round. Many u-bolt style yokes have been discontinued and replaced with strap-and-bolt style yokes for this reason.

U-bolts are still preferred, as the straps have been proven to stretch also. A lot of manufactures went to straps for ease of assembly on the line.
kwmech is offline   Reply With Quote