The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-23-2013, 05:47 PM   #1
slowcpe

'67 Stepper "Laymond"

Just picked this one up yesterday. Got a little overwhelmed with my other truck and after running into a few obstacles, I decided to ditch that project and buy another truck. I actually tried to buy this one before but the guy never returned my call until the day after I brought the other one home. Told a buddy and he bought it to flip. We talked and came to terms last week on price.

This truck is running, which is a huge advantage to the other one, so my better half immediately likes it better. Going to rock the 250/3-speed on the floor for at least this summer and enjoy it. Its currently lowered with McGaughy spindles, blocks and cut springs.

The trip to get it was a pure adventure. Even though I've owned a C10 for a few months, I still haven't driven one yet so I was hellbent on driving this one home.

I knew the carb was shot and needed a new heater core. Went down to pick it up yesterday (an hour away) with new carb in tote. Forecast was partly cloudy and 50 so I wasn't too worried about heat. A buddy of mine and I arrive only to find the carb Summit sent me was the wrong one (so much for calling and verifying before purchasing). Called around and of course no auto parts store carries one. Plan C was to get the original carb and rebuild it but we couldn't get into the building it was at. Plan D was a go by pulling one off another truck he had stored down the road. Truck started and ran good for the test drive. Time to head home!

Got roughly a mile down road and the truck completely fell on its face. Would not get up to speed. Figured either low or bad gas so I limped to the gas station and filled her up. 1/2 mile down the road, same thing. Pulled the filter in the carb and was dirty. Out she goes! Runs great so let's head out!

Now its starting to rain. Welp the windshield wipers don't work and I can't see while driving. Someone want to tell me why I sold a perfectly good running Mustang for one of these trucks? Found that by pushing the wiper switch they will work. A "quick" swapping of driver/passenger blades and arm "persuasion", they're moving water. Back on the road.

So now I'm driving a truck with cut springs, no heat, small rear window with no mirrors, and wipers only by pushing the button. Oh yeah, I'm missing the wiper knob. Going down the road and the truck keeps popping out of 3rd. Add adjusting the Hurst shifter to my to do list.

Make it home and my nerves were shot! Pulled it in the garage and started to make my lists and get to know the truck better. Other than the drive home, I'm very happy with the truck. Its what I want and seems to be a decent platform to build off of. She's a bit rusty so its a good thing that kind of thing is in.

The project name is "Laymond" as that was my grandpa's name. He had a trucking company and owned nothing but red Chevy's. In fact he bought a '67 new and drove it to Alaska the next day for a hunting trip. This truck is kind of a tribute to him.

Plans for this winter:

Clean her up
Tune Up
New Headlights/Bulbs
Fix a couple of wiring issues
Stereo
Adjust Hurst Shifter
Mirrors
Install Porterbuilt Stage 1 Front and Stage 2 Rear when it arrives
Accuair e-Level
Possibly spray a little paint on it
Add my grandpa's trucking company logo on the doors
Drive It
Enjoy It
Plan for Future

You guys have probably stopped reading a long time ago so here's a couple of pics taken last night. Window tint is almost all off. The wheels are 18" Riddlers that I bought a couple of months ago.

1967/71 Blue SWB C10..SOLD
1977 SWB K10..my grandpa's.....never should have sold
slowcpe is offline   Reply With Quote